Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossed Flag Checkered Pattern ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:56 PM
cnyc31976
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossed Flag Checkered Pattern ?

Ok, I see different versions of the checkered pattern. Which one is correct -

"a white block" at the outer most corner
OR

"a black block" at the outer most corner ???

I've read some books about restoration and details and I've seen new parts for sale in catalogs, etc.... (online too). I have seen two types.

1). Did it change at a certain year
2). Are only certain ones valid on certain years..... ?

Anyone have an exact answer ?
I'm not looking for perfection on my car just authenticity.
Thx,
Scott
Old 01-11-2009, 01:04 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey ondagawood,
Yes there is a difference in the flag color pattern.
For sure on the horn button cap the 70 black and white checkerd flag has the top left next to the pole square is black and white in 71 and back to black in 72.
I cant swear about the emblems on the exterior but the horn button in the interior is different.
Now I'll have to check that out tonight. Wont be able to sleep knowing there might be a difference in the exterior.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

The judging manual for 78-79 reads as follows:

Early 78 side emblems had a white square in the upper right position of the side emblem checkered flag,
later 78's and most 79's had a black square in this postion.

Perhaps someone with a judging manual can shed some light on your year but in reading different posts in the NCRS site it appears that there was no ryhme or reason to what they did back then. This was from the discussion:

"Need some help with the the cross flag emblem colors on a 71.. The judging manual states that the top right square of the emblem is black on 70 and 72 cars ,but white on on 71,s. The emblem I was getting ready to install has a black top right square. I spoke to an owner of a 71 that purchased his car new and the top right square is black. He also informed me that his horn button has never been replaced".

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:32 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karol
The judging manual for 78-79 reads as follows:

Early 78 side emblems had a white square in the upper right position of the side emblem checkered flag,
later 78's and most 79's had a black square in this postion.

Perhaps someone with a judging manual can shed some light on your year but in reading different posts in the NCRS site it appears that there was no ryhme or reason to what they did back then. This was from the discussion:

"Need some help with the the cross flag emblem colors on a 71.. The judging manual states that the top right square of the emblem is black on 70 and 72 cars ,but white on on 71,s. The emblem I was getting ready to install has a black top right square. I spoke to an owner of a 71 that purchased his car new and the top right square is black. He also informed me that his horn button has never been replaced".

Good luck.

Hey Karol,
That doesnt surprise me at all with the way GM had to do some things back then. It could be that the supply of black checkerd from the 70's ran into the 71 production and or the they ran out of the white in the later part of the 71 production.
So Do you know if the exterior are different ? I cant find any thing yet.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:42 AM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1971's are unique with black, white, black, white order for the horn button. Front and rear flag emblems are like all other early C3 years with white, black, white, black pattern.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:10 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Old 11-18-2018, 09:26 PM
shaark92
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 73 Posts

my '71's hood emblem. not original.

my 71's horn button. original emblem.
thread resurrection.

So here's a few sentences in how I got here.

A good friend had a short notice move. He has a '71 Vette. We just bought ours in September '18 ... also a '71. Looked forward to a "two-ship" cruise. Anyway, given the circumstances, he made the statement he was might sell his '71 he's had for 13 years. Warbonnet Yellow. That's all I needed ... I claimed right of "Vetterous Custodius" ... drove my truck/flatbed 6 hours to his place and loaded up (his permission). Anyway ... I had my C3 cap. Rob noted my checkerboard wasn't for a '71 ... the top square is supposed to be white.

really? Sure enough, his hood emblem's top checker is white. I had no idea.

well, now I'm curious about my Vette. it had been repainted ... and sure enough, I have black top checker on the hood ... but the horn button (original) ... it was white.

Unbelievable. But I don't even see the emblems with a white checker available at the big vendors.

Kinda matches with my overhaul on the Speedo/Tach. Mike asked me if I wanted the '71 glow green ... I was driving ... "uh ... yeah?" ... later, I find that my engine instruments are WHITE.

So ... my engine number matches, but my emblem and overhauled instruments are not their original config.

I might as well drop an LS mod in it with a 700r4!
Old 11-18-2018, 09:45 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

You do realize this thread is almost a decade old?
Old 11-18-2018, 09:53 PM
shaark92
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 73 Posts

yessir ... that's why I started with "thread resurrection." Thanks.

I was searching for a thread to address this ... found it. yay me! then added my two cents. You're welcome.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:59 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by shaark92
yessir ... that's why I started with "thread resurrection." Thanks.

I was searching for a thread to address this ... found it. yay me! then added my two cents. You're welcome.

Get notified of new replies

To Crossed Flag Checkered Pattern ?

Quick Reply: Crossed Flag Checkered Pattern ?