Sponsored by:

Loaded Kick Panels

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:11 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_Boy
That rating of 3 db more might show up on paper but in the doors of an SUV the rules change
Not sure your point but the laws of physics don't really change. You might not be able to compare an 85 dB rated speaker installed in a door to an 88 dB rated speaker installed in a kick panel or rear box but when comparing various speakers to be installed in a common location, the one with the higher efficiency will always require less amp to drive it (assuming, as you point out, that manufacturers ratings are correct).

My point was that you might not need as much amp if you pay attention to speaker specs. Given the interior space in our Vettes, a smaller amp is a good thing. There are a lot of good speakers out there with decent sensitivity ratings that don't cost an arm and a leg. If you are not careful, you can easily spend more for a less efficient speaker. It's really all about matching components and finding something that works.

DC
Old 01-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DC3
If you are not careful, you can easily spend more for a less efficient speaker. It's really all about matching components and finding something that works.

DC

Total agreement.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Just to conclude my portion of DB's thread.

OK, I finished the other side today. Looks very nice. Interesting project. I learned a lot.

Come April when I see my car again we shall see (1) if they fit, and (2) if those Polk units perform better than the Pioneer 4 x 6"s (model TS-A4672R, three-way, highly recommended for this application).

Dynamat? I stuck it on but I really can't see what good it does.

*Edit*, apparently it does a lot of good according to reseach I did today (January 24). Thanks DB.

Last edited by Paul L; 01-25-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Just a TTT to thank DB for this thread. When that Dynamat black goop sets it makes the kick panel hard as a rock. I was dubious and sceptical about the product but this morning those panels and speakers were very stiff and they are not going to move when installed. And as he stated, they are impervious to errant back side frequenicies bouncing out front. Not the correct physics language from me but you all get my meaning.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't wait to see those installed Paul, they look fantastic.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Durango_Boy
I can't wait to see those installed Paul, they look fantastic.
Thanks DB. If anyone is interested the oxblood dye comes from my local AC Delco dealer. The panels were black and the Polk grilles were silver originally.

Last edited by Paul L; 01-25-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:55 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont mean to bring up a dead subject, but....

for those of you who have put the 6.5s in, how the hell did you hit the clutch with out ripping your speakers off?

i just put a mocked up wooden set in, and i cant see any conceivable way to hit the clutch with out getting my foot stuck on the speakers and ripping them up.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Earlier in the thread I posted a link to my build thread. I have no problem using the clutch with my speaker next to it. I would have preferred more angle on the mounting of my speaker, but then it would have been in the way. Unless you have feet like Sasquatch you should be fine. I can operate my clutch just fine in a set of size 11 steel toe workboots.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:05 PM
another-user
Safety Car

i actually took measurements of my feet, and the clearance of the wall to clutch. 3 inches on both.

ill try a couple of different spots, but i dont see this one working.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Seems to be a lot of room there, at least for an automatic.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:58 PM
another-user
Safety Car

ya, for an auto theres just an insane amount of room.

i was just out there playing around with it again, and i just cant do it. im either going to get into an accident or blow up my motor or some such when i cant get to the clutch in a hurry.

ive got one last thing to try, ill cut the replica back a bit, instead of cutting out my bird cage. if i can get it to fit like that, i may trim my birdcage a bit to get them to fit.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:26 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I have those installed in a 4-speed car and have no problems when I'm bangin' gears. I wear wide shoes too and never touch the speaker.
Only picture I have, not great but gives you some kind of idea:
Old 03-06-2009, 11:29 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe its just me, but I've just completed installing aset of DB651's in my car and I do have to negotiate my foot around to get on the clutch..there is no chance I'll be ripping the speaker off but it does feel like there is less room.

It may just be the newness of the speaker being there, but I am concious of the speakers presence and i do rub up against it from time to time..

Size 12w footwear
Old 05-13-2010, 03:12 PM
edwgol
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cout you have mounted these speakers in the kickpanel with cutting out for the speaker?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:33 PM
BTAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by edwgol
Cout you have mounted these speakers in the kickpanel with cutting out for the speaker?
Wow, what a blast from the past. A DB originated thread.

To answer your question, you need to cut the kick panel for speaker clearance. Can't imagine a surface mounted speaker that would work in any way shape or form.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Definitely a blast from the past...I PM'ed Durangoboy at the time about the kickpanel as a baffle- and in some, the holes for the original speakers were not covered. I tried to explain to him that is was an "acoustic short circuit." (Google it )

Where as the sounds waves coming from the back of the speaker are completely out of phase w/ the front sound waves of the speaker- Thus canceling out a lot of sound..... He came back w/ some mumbo jumble and told me I was wrong....

SO- If you going to use the kickpanel make sure there are no "leaks" from front to back....

Richard
Old 07-22-2017, 04:33 PM
christen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking into installing some 6.5" speakers in the kick panels in a 68' As mentioned here some of the larger speakers might require cutting in the birdcage. Is there any disadvantage for doing this beisdes that the car not is original any more?
Old 07-22-2017, 07:26 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Repeating this question in an 8 year old thread is probably unnecessary.

Quick Reply: Loaded Kick Panels