Sponsored by:

Electric Headlights Cheap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:13 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Default Electric Headlights Cheap!

Been wanting to can the vacuum headlights for electric for a while now. Being the cheap b*stard that I am, I didn't want to pay big bucks for one og those kits. I know the vacuum actuators have about 4" of travel, and saw 4" linear actuator on ebay for about $150 a pair. Then I ran across a pair of Linak 4" linear actuators for $60 a pair, $75 with shipping, except that they were 24 volt instead of 12 volt. I figured what the heck. I tested them with a 12 volt battery and they moved about an inch every 3 seconds, or about 12 seconds for 4" of travel. I removed my buckets and replaced the vacuum actuators with the new electric ones. I made 2 "L" bracket housings out of steel for each one, and I replaced the original pins with 3/8" bolts. I had to modify the aluminum housing for clearance, bought a double pole, single throw toggle switch, which I mounted under the dash in the headlight overide position. The acuators sit in front of the radiator with no clearance issues, except, I had to modify the hood prop rod, shortening it about an inch, so now the hood does not open quite as far, but is still plenty accessible. They work like a charm, but take about 12 seconds to fully open or close, not bad for under $100. I should be able to sell by vacuum switches and actuators for much more than that on ebay. Then maybe, I'll buy some 12 volt actuators, which should make them open and close twice as fast. I'm sorry I did not take any pictures while the hood was still off, because they're very difficult to see with the hood on.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:27 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

NOW you need to make intermittant wipers and a linear actuator on you wiper door....for less than 100 bux.....closer to 70 really....
Old 06-16-2009, 10:22 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
NOW you need to make intermittant wipers and a linear actuator on you wiper door....for less than 100 bux.....closer to 70 really....
Old 06-17-2009, 09:49 AM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Actually, that's my next project, then I can say goodbye to that vacuum tank and most all the vacuum lines under the hood.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
Actually, that's my next project, then I can say goodbye to that vacuum tank and most all the vacuum lines under the hood.
Please let us know when you do, thanks
Old 06-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Trucks_69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm lucky if i even have $70 into my electric headlights... did those like last year
Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Trucks_69
i'm lucky if i even have $70 into my electric headlights... did those like last year
Yeah? Prove it.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:37 AM
kapla74
Racer

get the pictures...I might consider doing it for my car...Still need to get them connected..I have to manually open close them....
Old 06-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Trucks_69
Advanced

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Yeah? Prove it.
well i got all the brackets for free , and used some early 90s firebird motors that i got from the junkyard... and they work great!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Been wanting to can the vacuum headlights for electric for a while now. Being the cheap b*stard that I am, I didn't want to pay big bucks for one og those kits. I know the vacuum actuators have about 4" of travel, and saw 4" linear actuator on ebay for about $150 a pair. Then I ran across a pair of Linak 4" linear actuators for $60 a pair, $75 with shipping, except that they were 24 volt instead of 12 volt. I figured what the heck. I tested them with a 12 volt battery and they moved about an inch every 3 seconds, or about 12 seconds for 4" of travel. I removed my buckets and replaced the vacuum actuators with the new electric ones. I made 2 "L" bracket housings out of steel for each one, and I replaced the original pins with 3/8" bolts. I had to modify the aluminum housing for clearance, bought a double pole, single throw toggle switch, which I mounted under the dash in the headlight overide position. The acuators sit in front of the radiator with no clearance issues, except, I had to modify the hood prop rod, shortening it about an inch, so now the hood does not open quite as far, but is still plenty accessible. They work like a charm, but take about 12 seconds to fully open or close, not bad for under $100. I should be able to sell by vacuum switches and actuators for much more than that on ebay. Then maybe, I'll buy some 12 volt actuators, which should make them open and close twice as fast. I'm sorry I did not take any pictures while the hood was still off, because they're very difficult to see with the hood on.

I would be VERY interested in your "how to" for this.
Cant bring myself to hand over $1K for a killer lites kit.
I'm a cheap bastard too.............................
Old 06-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

well i got all the brackets for free , and used some early 90s firebird motors that i got from the junkyard... and they work great!

A "How to " write-up?????
Old 06-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Trucks_69
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fast81
A "How to " write-up?????
i'm at work at the moment,

but it's pretty simple the brackets are pretty simple to make and the motors (as long as you can find them) are fairly cheap

i haven't figured out my switch situation yet but once the car comes back from paint i can get on that
Old 06-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

i'm at work at the moment,

but it's pretty simple the brackets are pretty simple to make and the motors (as long as you can find them) are fairly cheap

i haven't figured out my switch situation yet but once the car comes back from paint i can get on that
cheap = ?????
Old 06-17-2009, 06:44 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

The Firebird motor conversion looks a little complicated to me. The good thing about using linear actuators is that they duplicate the action of the original vacuum units pretty closely. Then you just need to fabricates the mounts, which can be done on a workbench with the whole headlight unit out of the car. The actuators have built-in auto stop at both ends of travel and overiding clutches as well. The double pole, single throw toggle switch is like $4 at Home depot, the wiring is super simple.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Trucks_69
Advanced

The Firebird motor conversion looks a little complicated to me. The good thing about using linear actuators is that they duplicate the action of the original vacuum units pretty closely. Then you just need to fabricates the mounts, which can be done on a workbench with the whole headlight unit out of the car. The actuators have built-in auto stop at both ends of travel and overiding clutches as well. The double pole, single throw toggle switch is like $4 at Home depot, the wiring is super simple.
the firebird motors aren't complicated at all... very easy
Old 06-17-2009, 08:45 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

I would be VERY interested in your "how to" for this.
Cant bring myself to hand over $1K for a killer lites kit.
I'm a cheap bastard too.............................
Since when was Chris, 69myway, charging a grand for his conversion kit?? last I heard maybe 100 bux?? if that....

but then you needed the Firebird motors.....junkyard 20 bux each...

Old 06-17-2009, 08:49 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Chris got me a linear actuator he was using for something in his Killer light development project....and it's in my WIPER door, I use radio shack burglar alarm magnets/switches for the limit controls on door travel...well hidden, VERY well hidden....
and 3 relays, and a timer I built....

Last edited by mrvette; 06-17-2009 at 09:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Headlights Cheap!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Since when was Chris, 69myway, charging a grand for his conversion kit?? last I heard maybe 100 bux?? if that....

but then you needed the Firebird motors.....junkyard 20 bux each...

I had $1K in my little reptile brain leftover from briefly searching the topic years ago. Swear i saw an electric headlite converison kit in that price range and went "no way is it worth that"
Prob fused the two in the old RAM.

I would LOVE to throw this conversion into my project 82 ragtop, and 82 CE !!!!!!!!!
So either of you guys have video of your lites in action for comparison ?????
Old 06-17-2009, 09:37 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

I had $1K in my little reptile brain leftover from briefly searching the topic years ago. Swear i saw an electric headlite converison kit in that price range and went "no way is it worth that"
Prob fused the two in the old RAM.

I would LOVE to throw this conversion into my project 82 ragtop, and 82 CE !!!!!!!!!
So either of you guys have video of your lites in action for comparison ?????
I dunno about any other units, but Chris' site is

www.mcspeed.com and look under killer lights 100 bux is his price listed today...but you need a junkyard raid too....
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 PM
zigvs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no more. he doesnt sell them anymore

Quick Reply: Electric Headlights Cheap!