Sponsored by:

Heater Hose Shut Off Valves - Great!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:57 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
C'Mon. Bubba loves these clamp solutions rather than a proper valve. You know better.
Would you care to expand on what you mean ?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Ward72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by red 71
notice that ward72 is using a "vise grip" brand clamping pliers. Kind of brings a tear to your eye when you see that a man knows quality!!

A harbor freight knock off may of been fine on a ricer but not a vette!
red 71........ I can't take credit for the vice grips, as it is not my car guy in the picture! Please read again..... Anyway, too up-town for me, i would use a 4" "c" clamp. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Bubba told me vice grips work great; in fact they are ever bit as good as duck tape an' bailin' war.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:23 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by gq82
Your right...
Probably so but I thought that valve only worked with the control set to off or max ac.
Originally Posted by DWncchs
I guess I didnt pay attention to the position. I'll have to look at my vacuum diagrams but to me it would make more sense to have it shut off when the dial is rotated to cold no matter where the other dial is.
I loan out my stuff from time to time and I cant seem to find a 71 H/AC vac diagram so it might not have been returned. I have a 73 but it looks like it didnt have the coolant valve. I'll keep looking to see if I can find an answer to that,are you sure your not thinking about the recirc door ?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Would you care to expand on what you mean ?
Yes. A proper on/off valve is OK of whatever flavour is your choice. Clamping a rubber hose for any length of time is just not right. It stresses the rubber into a deformed state.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Red 71
Notice that Ward72 is using a "Vise Grip" brand clamping pliers. Kind of brings a tear to your eye when you see that a man knows quality!!

A Harbor Freight knock off may of been fine on a ricer but not a Vette!
Now you make me feel old. I have had these for....years.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I loan out my stuff from time to time and I cant seem to find a 71 H/AC vac diagram so it might not have been returned. I have a 73 but it looks like it didnt have the coolant valve. I'll keep looking to see if I can find an answer to that,are you sure your not thinking about the recirc door ?
I just checked the 71 chassis svc manual and it states AC equipped vehicles "When vacuum is applied to the water valve (controls set to MAX), the valve is closed preventing coolant flow through the heater core. With no vacuum applied to the valve (controls set to any position except MAX) the valve is open allowing coolant flow" It also states "if the control is set to OFF vacuum closes the air door". I thought I read somewhere that it also closed the valve in the OFF position but the svc manual doesn't confirm this.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:16 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

DW, do you have one for a '72? I looked in my A.I.M. and don't see a coolant valve. But you know how those stick drawings can be.

cc
Old 08-12-2009, 10:37 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by paul 74
Yes. A proper on/off valve is OK of whatever flavour is your choice. Clamping a rubber hose for any length of time is just not right. It stresses the rubber into a deformed state.
The 2 guys using the green pliers type only leave them on when the car is being driven when they don't want the extra heat. They remove them as soon as the hood goes up at shows. I probably would never had seen them if it weren't for them stopping by one day when several of them were out cruising around. The green type is also very light and have a positive lock and dont have the tendency to fly off like the much heavier vise grips.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by CCrane72
DW, do you have one for a '72? I looked in my A.I.M. and don't see a coolant valve. But you know how those stick drawings can be.

cc
I did have and I'm trying to figure out why I can't find them. I took a whole stack of manuals and wiring diagrams to Florida this year because I had several cars to work on while I was down there and I'm wondering if I might have left some there.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:47 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Look what came in today on a 30,000 mile 1963 convertible. I had to laugh a little when I raised the hood and saw the fancy yellow shut off tool.

Name:  pinchpliers001.jpg
Views: 2167
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  pinchpliers002.jpg
Views: 2107
Size:  64.1 KB
Old 08-20-2009, 11:05 PM
wtbrs123
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for posting that link. I will start on my 79 this weekend. I live in South Louisiana I pretty much have to keep it picked up during the summer months.

Thanks again
wtbrs123
Old 08-21-2009, 03:01 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So there's a 5/8" feed hose, and a 3/4" return, right? so what size do you use on the 3/4" return line? are there two standard size valves available. gotta kill the heat.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:03 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

i like valves. this one in my water pump is just a 1/2 chrome valve, quarter turn. same valve goes in my manifold . just used different nipples to suit the different size hoses.

Name:  04062009282.jpg
Views: 2162
Size:  85.6 KB
Old 08-21-2009, 06:19 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 214 Posts

As stated above, with a working as designed heater ducting system with the vacumm controls working the vents per the thumbdials at the heater controls, then the heater core should be closed off physically from the air duct system and no clamp or valve should be needed.. I have no heat comming from the air ducts on my car.. when I had the dash all apart restoring it, I made sure it was working right.. now I have other cabin heating issues from lack of insulation etc.. but no heat comming from the ducts unless I turn the heat on thru the thumbdials....

make sure your vacumm ducting and levers are in good working order and adjusted and you should not need shut off valvles..
Old 08-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

This is one of the first mods I made to my car. Learned the trick from a chevy dealer. I too used a ball valve. As for clamping the hose I would have a bit of concern about the condition of the hose after repeated clampings. I can't say for certain but could clamping weaken the hose material itself? I know if you kink a garden hose in the same spot repeatedly it will have a greater tendancy to fail in that spot. Why risk it.

Jim
Old 08-21-2009, 08:11 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

true joe but i think some heat disperses out of a hot airbox under the dash. i leave my valves open all winter but once summer arrives i dont use my heater for 8 months so i turn them off. i think the valves are also handy if im on a trip and a heater core gets a leak. turn off the valves and im on the road again.

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Hose Shut Off Valves - Great!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:14 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
This is one of the first mods I made to my car. Learned the trick from a chevy dealer. I too used a ball valve. As for clamping the hose I would have a bit of concern about the condition of the hose after repeated clampings. I can't say for certain but could clamping weaken the hose material itself? I know if you kink a garden hose in the same spot repeatedly it will have a greater tendancy to fail in that spot. Why risk it.

Jim
The guy that owns the 63 in the pic above said he leaves the pinch clamp on all the time except when he opens the hood to show the car. I had the car the running in the shop and removed the clamp and with a min. you couldn't tell the clamp was ever on the hose( after rubbing the dirt away that had collected on both sides of the clamp).
Old 08-21-2009, 11:48 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

Since the valve is mostly metal, putting the valve in the 'inlet' line to the radiator will not prevet any conducted heat from passing, any more than the hose with no valve would. Using two valves is just as effective as using one...but no more effective. And it certainly would be more expensive and more trouble.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:09 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Plastic pinch clamps

OK, I'm sold! Where do I buy those plastic pinch clamps??? Maybe I'm on a different Internet than everyone else, but when I search for them, I come up short!
Hep me!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Heater Hose Shut Off Valves - Great!