74 strut rods / I'm STUMPED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:48 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 74 strut rods / I'm STUMPED!

I installed a new set of strut rods on the rear of my 74. These are the nice threaded tube adjustables. I set them at the SAME 17 inches in length as the original wore out OEM rods that I removed. That is that I measured the old ones in order to have "a guess" at the starting place for the new ones. (17 inches) No matter how much adjustment I do....the rear now sits up like a Kenny Bernstein Funny Car. Squatted out or Bow legged, it sits up like a dragster. I am talking there is 6 inches of wheel well showing above the top of the tires.

What now ?????

Does the length of the outer spring bolt make a difference? I thought about longer bolts...less spring tension????

Stumped.............

Last edited by fotyfobravo; 10-26-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:55 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What else did you freshen while you were in there? Bushings? Spring? Shocks? Have you driven the car to "settle" the suspension yet? Has it been to an alignment shop to verify settings? Did you tighten all the bolts while it was up and unloaded, or on wheels and with full fuel tank like the AIM states? Need more info.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Spring Bolts! Shorter bolts - lower car
Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Negatory on short bolts! Longer bolts, less spring preload, less height. Tell us the whole story on this mod before you do anything else please.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:01 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Thanks for the replies....

I changed the dog leg cushion and the strut rods...nothing else.

I have not driven it because I am afraid it is past the limits of the U-Joints. I have got to get it lowered prior to driving it. The old strut rod rubber bushings were totally shot. That is why I replaced the rods. It sat perfect just a week ago...then I replaced the rods. Now it's sitting with 6 to 8 inches of wheel well showing above the top of the rear tires.

I've replaced u joints....leaf springs on other vettes over the years and have never had this before.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Stock spring or aftermarket monoleaf?
Poly bushings in the trailing arms or rubber?

It really wouldn't hurt things to drive around the block at slow speed to see if it settles. Don't worry about camber at this point.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:01 AM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Originally Posted by fotyfobravo

I have not driven it because I am afraid it is past the limits of the U-Joints. I have got to get it lowered prior to driving it. The old strut rod rubber bushings were totally shot. That is why I replaced the rods. It sat perfect just a week ago...then I replaced the rods. Now it's sitting with 6 to 8 inches of wheel well showing above the top of the rear tires.

I've replaced u joints....leaf springs on other vettes over the years and have never had this before.
One other thing....I put on a new set of rear shocks. I am wondering if the AutoZone Counter Clown perhaps sold me the wrong shocks. I think not likely. BUT if they are too LONG it would bottom out on the shocks. I will check this later today!

All stock parts otherwise....
Old 10-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Lee H
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the mods keep coming
Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

Tough to diagnose the problem with half the story...
Old 10-27-2009, 09:30 AM
weimer20
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Tough to diagnose the problem with half the story...
Old 10-27-2009, 09:37 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

What are you referring to as the "dog leg cushion?" If you changed out the shock mount cushions, that can give you a LOT of virtual shortening of the spring bolt if you were riding on old worn cushions before. That will in turn bring your rear up.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:37 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Lars was correct about this forum.

You're not exactly giving us a lot to go on, nor are you answering anyone's questions. You've got to help us help you. Every single time I've needed help or advice, I've gotten it right here in this forum. We have a super bunch of very helpful and knowledgeable guys here. But they can't do chit for you if you can't state your problem clearly.

Let's recap...

You changed strut rod bushings and now your ride height is jacked up. Now anyone with any basic mechanical knowledge can look at those linkages and see instantly that the strut rod has little to nothing to do with your ride height. Crank it all way out and in and see for yourself. You'll change the wheel camber which may affect ride height very slightly but certainly not to the degree you're talking about.

Now what can happen is when you jack a car up is the inherent camber change caused by allowing the suspension to relax all the way downward can often cause the suspension to bind up when you set it back down. This is because the base of tires wants to kick out, but the friction with the floor won't let them, so the car might seem like it's riding higher until you roll it around a little. Take note, Mike Ward suggested driving around the block in post 6. You didn't take his advice.

What can change the ride height other than the spring? Well really there's not much else. In post 5, you assured us nothing else had changed. But then in post 7, you mentioned that you also replaced the shocks. (Remember what I said about stating your problem clearly?) Shocks don't change ride height, but installing the wrong parts ... well then all bets are off. Can you bounce the rear? This takes all of 2 seconds to test. (Remember what I said about answering our questions?)

You can and will receive help on this forum. But how effectively you ask has a direct bearing on the quality of help you receive.

Last edited by wcsinx; 10-27-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:12 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Let's recap...

You changed strut rod bushings and now your ride height is jacked up. Now anyone with any basic mechanical knowledge can look at those linkages and see instantly that the strut rod has little to nothing to do with your ride height. I agree. Crank it all way out and in and see for yourself. Did that. You'll change the wheel camber which may affect ride height very slightly but certainly not to the degree you're talking about.

Now what can happen is when you jack a car up is the inherent camber change caused by allowing the suspension to relax all the way downward can often cause the suspension to bind up when you set it back down. This is because the base of tires wants to kick out, but the friction with the floor won't let them, so the car might seem like it's riding higher until you roll it around a little. Take note, Mike Ward suggested driving around the block in post 6. You didn't take his advice. Sure will.

What can change the ride height other than the spring? Well really there's not much else. In post 5, you assured us nothing else had changed. But then in post 7, you mentioned that you also replaced the shocks. Correct. (Remember what I said about stating your problem clearly?) Shocks don't change ride height, but installing the wrong parts ... well then all bets are off. Can you bounce the rear? YES. This takes all of 2 seconds to test. (Remember what I said about answering our questions?) Yes.

You can and will receive help on this forum. But how effectively you ask has a direct bearing on the quality of help you receive.

Thanks...I will try to be more clear with what I have replaced. And you are correct...I have received tons of great advice over the years from this forum. Please forgive my frustration with this problem.

New strut rods installed.
New standard Gabriel shocks.
New do-nut rubber bushing installed on the differential support "dog leg".

The leaf spring was not adjusted in any way during this job. That's why I am so lost ast to how it now sits 4 - 6 inches higher than before.

When it stops raining here, I will gently drive it and see if it settles back down to it's original height. This may in fact be the FIX. The half shafts are at such a severe angle, I was afraid it may pop the u-joints.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:26 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

When it stops raining here, I will gently drive it and see if it settles back down to it's original height. This may in fact be the FIX.
You don't even have to do that. If you're scared to drive it, just roll it back and forth in your garage a few times. Just a few feet is all it takes. I had a '96 Integra that would jack its rear up crazy high until it started rolling if I'd had its *** jacked up. Right when it started rolling, you'd hear a *creak* of rubber on concrete as the bottom of the wheels kicked out, and then it felt like a fat chick jumped on the trunk as the *** dropped down 2 inches. It was seriously that dramatic.

The half shafts are at such a severe angle, I was afraid it may pop the u-joints.
I wouldn't worry. 6 inches of fender gap really isn't that much. I think I have 3.5ish? I bet I could crank it up to 6 on stock bolts.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:30 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Your on the right track, those multilink springs will make it stand tall until its driven around a bit. The shocks should not make any height difference if they are the correcct unit. I think that bushing your talking about on the rear end is the "Snubber Bushing" Also will not affect ride height
Old 11-03-2009, 03:10 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

I am embarrassed but laughing at myself all at the same time. I consider myself a pretty good basement mechanic but this one tore me a new one! The reason my 74 has been sitting almost SIX inches too high in the back is as follows. I finally found it today......

I had jacked the rear up VERY high and well secured on heavy duty jack stands. The half shafts and trailing arms dropped very low after removing the shocks....original strut rods and the rear end mount "donut cushion".

After installing the new parts (which non had anything to do with rear height) the entire rear end was being held six inches too high by something. I layed under that car and looked for too many hours to admit. Today I discovered the entire anti-sway bar had rotated rearward and binded in it's rubber frame mounts. It did not rotate forward when the car was brought back to the floor. When the car was placed back on it's tires, the binded sway bar acted like a vertical rod on each side. I found this just today AFTER going back and pretty much re-installing everything once again. I disconnected the sway bar from each trailing arm and let it down off the jack. It sat down just perfect with the camber looking good. Now I will rotate the sway bar back to where it should be in the frame mounts and reconnect.

Thanks again and yes....I am embarrassed.....

Last edited by fotyfobravo; 11-03-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:51 PM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh snap!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 74 strut rods / I'm STUMPED!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:13 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

doh
Old 11-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Vette79C3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am embarrassed but laughing at myself all at the same time. I consider myself a pretty good basement mechanic but this one tore me a new one! The reason my 74 has been sitting almost SIX inches too high in the back is as follows. I finally found it today......

I had jacked the rear up VERY high and well secured on heavy duty jack stands. The half shafts and trailing arms dropped very low after removing the shocks....original strut rods and the rear end mount "donut cushion".

After installing the new parts (which non had anything to do with rear height) the entire rear end was being held six inches too high by something. I layed under that car and looked for too many hours to admit. Today I discovered the entire anti-sway bar had rotated rearward and binded in it's rubber frame mounts. It did not rotate forward when the car was brought back to the floor. When the car was placed back on it's tires, the binded sway bar acted like a vertical rod on each side. I found this just today AFTER going back and pretty much re-installing everything once again. I disconnected the sway bar from each trailing arm and let it down off the jack. It sat down just perfect with the camber looking good. Now I will rotate the sway bar back to where it should be in the frame mounts and reconnect.

Thanks again and yes....I am embarrassed.....
We all have been there at least once. Sh*t happens...
Old 11-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by markids77
Negatory on short bolts! Longer bolts, less spring preload, less height. Tell us the whole story on this mod before you do anything else please.
My dumb! For some reason I get that bassackwards!

Quick Reply: 74 strut rods / I'm STUMPED!