Sponsored by:

Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:02 AM
red99bird
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifters

Are the lifters in a 1978 L82 engine solid or hydraulic?? What is the valve lash for the correct one. I should remamber but it's been 35 yrs since I've fooled with an engine.
Thanks Jackie
Old 06-28-2010, 08:07 AM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by red99bird
Are the lifters in a 1978 L82 engine solid or hydraulic?? What is the valve lash for the correct one. I should remamber but it's been 35 yrs since I've fooled with an engine.
Thanks Jackie
Hydraulic....I believe 1972 was the last year for the solid LT-1????

I could be wrong, just going from memory myself. If I am, others here will chime in and correct me..... I am sure.

Stay in tune....
Old 06-28-2010, 12:30 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

They are hydraulic (unless a PO changed them to solids). You can set the hydraulic lifters 'cold' (engine not running) or 'hot' (engine running). IMO, it is best to set them cold so that the running engine always has the proper lifter adjustment.

There are a lot of folks who are confused by the cold setting procedure, so I'm going to include this tidbit for you. Once you rotate the engine so that the valve you are adjusting is in "closed" position, you can begin to tighten the adjustment nut. While you are tightening it, hold the pushrod in the fingers of your other hand and shake it up and down (rather than 'spin' it). When the adjustment is too loose, there will be slack felt in the pushrod. When that slack just disappears is the 'Zero Lash' point. Now, all you need to do as to further tighten that nut 1/2 - 1 full turn to properly set the lifter piston to the center of its travel. (GM says 1 turn; engine 'gurus' say 1/2 turn; I set it a 3/4 turn.)

Get notified of new replies

To Lifters

Quick Reply: Lifters