Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why behind the seat!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:30 PM
MyRed69
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard it was for better weight distribution too. But I would think if you're going to go that route, put it on the passenger side to offset (even just a little) the driver's weight since most folks when they drive their C3 hard are alone...
Old 10-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Arcticshark
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by briaineo
One of those solar trickle chargers should stop that from happening again!

planning on getting one meself..... when shes up and running
It was odd that the battery was dead. I've never had any charging system problems on it. It still checks good.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Red70vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mobjack68
open the trunk and put it in there...that's where the battery went for my camaro...and my vega...and my corvair...no wait, that battery was in the front....
I can't find the trunk on mine. Locating the battery was easy.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PKguitar
Years ago, I didn't have a garage where I lived and rented one in another town. It was a relatively common thing in spring to get to the garage and meet a dead battery. Since I only rented one bay, I would have to jump off my DD that was outside the garage, so I bought a set of heavy duty jumper cables that were 50 feet long. Those things were very handy to have around. So handy, that someone decided they needed them more than I did, and relieved me of their ownership.
I know how you feel, mine were by 'Belden or Belding and only 24' long. However mine too are helping someone else start there junks. ...
Old 10-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Ironcross
I know how you feel, mine were by 'Belden or Belding and only 24' long. However mine too are helping someone else start there junks. ...
Yeah, you know, after I wrote that, I got to thinking "50 feet is REALLY freakin' long". Thinking about it now, they probably were only 25 feet long. I know I didn't have any issue connecting my DD outside the garage to the Corvette battery, but if they were really 50 feet long, it seems like there would have been oodles of wire at my feet when I was connected, and I don't remember that being the case. I don't remember what brand they were, but if I had to guess I would say Craftsman. I bought a lot of tools at Sears back then, still buy some from them now too. Sorry to hear that yours are among the missing too.

My tools have been popular over the years. I never had my own place for tools until I bought my house. 32 years of storing tools in places where other people had access to them somehow caused thousands of dollars worth of them to grow legs and run away from home. I lost some tools at my house too, until I found some honest contractors to do the work on my house I chose not to do.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 AM
shrekviper
Racer

Anyone tried to setup a Positive terminal under the hood and use the engine as a ground? I had to jump mine this past weekend...

It's punishment for not driving her as much...
Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

You could have popped the hood and connected to the starter and the engine to jump it. I know on the newer GM trucks they have a box under the hood with a positive terminal just for jumping.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:48 AM
marc9889
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Another good reason to not put the battery under the hood is that older big block cars were built to operate at 210 degrees F. A battery's life would be cut way short when exposed to those temperatures, especially an early 70s battery.

Has anyone tried the AGM batteries yet? I installed a new one this morning. Hope it lasts longer than my last one (installed July, 2014).
Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 AM
cicconjo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you guys find works better for cold winter storage, a tender or disconnecting the battery entirely? I've done it both ways but somehow got burned last week with a battery that could not muster enough juice to start the car without a jump, even with the tender on. Battery was only 2 or maybe 3 years old. Next year I may just unscrew the cutoff and let it sit and not let the clock run for 5 months.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:15 AM
marc9889
Instructor

Originally Posted by cicconjo
What do you guys find works better for cold winter storage, a tender or disconnecting the battery entirely? I've done it both ways but somehow got burned last week with a battery that could not muster enough juice to start the car without a jump, even with the tender on. Battery was only 2 or maybe 3 years old. Next year I may just unscrew the cutoff and let it sit and not let the clock run for 5 months.
I left the battery connected and kept a tender on it, and it failed after about the same amount of time. The LED on the tender goes solid green when it's at a full charge, and that's the way it stayed most of the time, even connected to the car's electrical system.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:51 AM
cicconjo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marc9889
I left the battery connected and kept a tender on it, and it failed after about the same amount of time. The LED on the tender goes solid green when it's at a full charge, and that's the way it stayed most of the time, even connected to the car's electrical system.
Yeah mine was green too. Glad I'm not the only one. New battery ordered.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:58 AM
marc9889
Instructor

FWIW, I had been using the cheap Harbor Freight tenders ($7 each) on my mower and Polaris RZR with no problems at all. I bought what appeared to be a higher quality tender for the Corvette and here we are. The battery I bought today was $200 including tax, so more than ever, I'd love to know what I'm not doing right.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:54 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,698 Likes on 2,938 Posts

I've used Battery tenders over the past 30 years and never had a problem with my motorcycles, boats or cars. They make several different styles and amperage rated tenders. They are not one size works for all. Make sure you have the right Battery tender for your application. I keep both battery cables and the Battery tender connected all year, however keep it unplugged during the week and plug it in on Friday nights. The tender checks the battery and if it needs to charge, it does and all lights are solid green in about five minutes. I leave it on over night, then unplug it again on Saturday morning. The only reason I do this is, many years ago I had a Battery tender hooked up to one of my boats and I noticed the "charging" led indicator had stayed on for several days. I checked my connections and found the battery was very warm. I had the battery tested and found it had a bad cell, was not taking a charge and the tender was continually attempting to charge the battery.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:08 PM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTechDad
Just be happy it's not a Chrysler...you have to take off the front wheel to get to the battery!
My 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the battery under the passenger seat.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:47 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXTYTWO
My 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the battery under the passenger seat.
My '99 Seville STS has its' gigantic battery under the rear left (passenger) seat. How's that for weight distribution to counter the driver?
Old 03-23-2017, 07:50 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by TPI BOY
Just get longer cables

Because our cars are nosed into the garage, we took a couple long pair, cut the clamps off one end of each set, then bugged them together with connectors. Now I have a heavy duty set of jumper cables that are 30 feet long!
Old 03-25-2017, 10:40 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by briaineo
One of those solar trickle chargers should stop that from happening again!

planning on getting one meself..... when shes up and running
...because Ireland is known as "The Sunshine Country" in Europe...

Get notified of new replies

To Why behind the seat!?

Old 03-25-2017, 12:58 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by marc9889
Tenders are good but not if you just put it on and forget it all winter . I had my first new DieHard battery go bad by doing this. They should only be put on for a week at most without a rest. They can fry the battery cells.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:10 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

In a word....space.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:38 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

I think they located the battery on the left so that when combined with the weight of the driver we can take even harder left-hand turns.

Quick Reply: Why behind the seat!?