C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About.....Distributor static shield brackets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by #s matching 72
Hi Paul and Alan
I just got done looking at both of your pictures and comparing them with my car and everything's identical to yours. My can and vacuum tube is right up against the bracket. Now I have a different problem that the position of your # 1 plug wire isn't the same on mine. The wire in that position on mine goes to the right bank ( probably # 2) instead. Yours goes to the left bank.
Time to get the books out.
John
Your #1 wire being in different position than other cars is very common and does not signify a problem or something that needs to be corrected. Any one of the eight towers can serve as #1, depending on how the rotor has been clocked with respect to the rest of the rotating assembly.

I'd leave well enough alone.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:58 PM
#s matching 72
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
The 1969 AIM, UPC 6, Page B6, shows a diagram of the correct position of the distributor. The vacuum nipple of the can points ~105° clockwise from straight ahead. That puts it more rearward than your photos show yours are. The AIM agrees with the diagram in post 12. Positioning the distributor correctly as the diagram shows gives the tach cable a straight shot to the drive fitting. No need for those 90° gimmicks, or kinks in the tach drive cable.

Pete
Hi Pete
I have dug out My AIM (also Page B6) for the 1972 Corvette and it agrees with your analysis that the Vacuum nipple is set at (as you said) at 105 deg. from the forward position of the car, which coincides with Post #12 above. That's with the #1 plug wire on the right side of the observation window and the rest of the wires installed in firing order going around clockwise.
That said, mine is really messed up to what the AIM shows and thus why the Vacuum nipple is hitting the shield bracket. Looks like I need to pull the distributor up and move it a couple of notches (Clockwise I think) to be able to get the vacuum nipple at the 105 deg. position. that serving a two fold purpose , giving plenty of room for adjusting the timing in both directions and to allow the tack drive cable to install in a straight line.
I should be able to turn the engine over until I achieve TDC on the timing mark on the crankshaft and then pull the distributor up and rotate the rotor clockwise a couple of teeth and seat it back down and rotate the whole distributor clockwise until the dist. cap visually aligns with #1 wire tower and re-time in the new position.
Sound a bout right
Sound about right I hope.
John

Quick Reply: Question About.....Distributor static shield brackets.