Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full interior restoration

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:19 AM
Corvettetodd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Willcox ..... The interior parts came from Corvette America.

I took advantage of the free seat cover installation special which I believe they are running again right now...

I stripped the seats down to the frame, shipped them to Corvette America, and they came back assembled and like new..
Old 12-17-2010, 01:33 AM
EricU
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EricU
Where do I go to get information on restoring the parts other than seat covers, carpet and door panels for my 69?? ...
Also, where do I get information on how to restore my windows, they work (kind of) but they flop around and sound like they are going to fall out!

And what about the electric window switches?

Thanks again, Eric.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:54 AM
spikebot 81
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I did a total restore 2 yrs ago. All the parts came from Willcox. The interior was light camel and I used SEM dye to change to black. The dash and door panels where the only thing worth saving. I thing I have about 3 grand into the interior but watch out for the "while I'm at it syndrome". Body mounts, heater core, stereo ect. The only real issue with fittment was the ash tray door. Dont know if it was the brackets in the console or the brackets in the ash tray door but the damn thing didnt fit worth a hoot.

Name:  Picture015.jpg
Views: 2353
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  Picture002.jpg
Views: 2387
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  Picture003.jpg
Views: 2346
Size:  73.2 KB

Name:  Picture006-1.jpg
Views: 2385
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  Picture007-1.jpg
Views: 2349
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  Picture008.jpg
Views: 2396
Size:  89.2 KB

Name:  Picture004.jpg
Views: 2357
Size:  67.2 KB
Old 12-17-2010, 08:04 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Maybe I should start another thread, but since this one deals with "full interior resto" I will go ahead and post it here.

Where do I go to get information on restoring the parts other than seat covers, carpet and door panels for my 69??

I am looking for such items as cleaning up the center console, and how do I get a shift pattern that matches the 5-speed that is now in the car?

How do I clean up the E-Brake handle?

Where can I get the blower motor controls rebuilt?

Should I paint the existing center console to clean it up (it's original) or purchase an aftermarket one? It seems that many of the "OEM" replacement pieces don't always fit "OEM"!

I am not looking to do a points car, but I want a factory/resto look. I will be using aftermarket gauges so they are not a problem.

It is all those other little pieces that I want to take care of while I have the interior apart as the last time I modded my running car (carb to EFI) it was off the road for three years! And I DON'T want to do that again!

Thanks, Eric.
We carry everything you'll need... if you can't find it on the site, give us a call at 800-588-3883.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:07 AM
ImBlackMomba
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bigred49
Looking to restore a C3 1980 corvette interior. Can you please post the companies you used and what are the best for the price in terms of quality and fit? any links would be great

thanks
Good luck getting started on the resto! Just a quick question, are any of the interior parts salvageable? If so, have you considered the interior dye. It works wonders. Or are you going to do like srs244 below and replace everything wall to wall.

When I took on my 79, I pulled everything out, steam cleaned the carpets & seat belts, cleaned sanded primed and dyed the interior pieces. Being 26 and single, the budget wasnt calling to replace every part in the car.

But, according to a few forum members, I saved myself about $1500-2000 in labor.

Just took a little elbo grease

Name:  2cc5fb66.jpg
Views: 2358
Size:  52.6 KB
Name:  11a2a048.jpg
Views: 2361
Size:  50.8 KB
Name:  dc324d33.jpg
Views: 2329
Size:  44.0 KB
Name:  e78ce76b.jpg
Views: 2325
Size:  61.5 KB
Originally Posted by srs244
bought every part that was available to redo my 78 wall to wall, ceiling to floor from wilcox, wouldn't consider anyone else if i every had to do it again. great service, great products, real people to talk to to get suggestions and help from. only one place to buy from in my opinion..........WILCOX
I WISH I COULD OF DONT THAT, WOW!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:22 PM
EricU
Racer

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
We carry everything you'll need..
I guess I am looking for more detail on the process or approach that I should take for each of the non-fabric interior items that I mentioned before.

The reason that I ask is a few years back when I did a 64 Impala convertible I bought some parts, that were supposed to be OEM repops and they fit horrible. I didn't end up using them.

The car is a nice driver and will never be a show or NCRS car, but I do like a nice clean look. So on items like the roller air control switch (or whatever it is called) should I buy a repop or send it out to have it rebuilt? Same with the other pieces.

If the new stuff fits and looks correct, then that is fine with me, I just dont want to buy a bunch of "almost" fits switches, latches etc.

Thanks Eric.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:07 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Don't buy any new stuff, just to improve appearance or to change color. Remove all components you want to redo. Wash them with detergent...WELL...to rid them of built-up Armor-All , dirt, grease, etc. Rinse several times to get all detergent residue off. Dry completely.

Buy a pint of SEM "ColorCoat" Vinyl dye [do not use paint or buy the spray cans of "dye" sold by the aftermarket suppliers; most of that stuff is paint and that's not what you want on your interior parts]. Also buy a $5 PreVal bottle/gas cannister sprayer; it works great for vinyl dye. Dye will change any color to any other color in no more than two coats. Spray it to cover, but don't spray too heavy or it will run. If you do get a run, let it dry; it will probably dry smooth. If you have any cracks or light damage on panels, use polyester 'spot' body filler to fill the bad area, let dry, sand or use fine steel wool to smooth out. You can use a toothpick to add surface grain before the filler gets hard.

When you get done, promise yourself NEVER to use petroleum-based "protectants" on the interior again. Use a polymer protectant like Nu-Vinyl or Meguiar's polymer protectant for plastics.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:37 PM
dmeesq
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 12-17-2010, 10:11 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe I should start another thread, but since this one deals with "full interior resto" I will go ahead and post it here.

I am looking for such items as cleaning up the center console, and how do I get a shift pattern that matches the 5-speed that is now in the car?

Should I paint the existing center console to clean it up (it's original) or purchase an aftermarket one? It seems that many of the "OEM" replacement pieces don't always fit "OEM"!

Thanks, Eric.
I can give you an email address to a guy who made my 5 speed plate. He sells them on eBay occasionally. I had to send him a stock 69 one as the shape is different then other later years. Send me a PM and I'll look for his email / info.

edit: (I see Willcox says they have everything you will need so buy the plate from them). I bought a lot of my interior stuff from them and you won't go wrong buying from them also.

If the center console is not broken, then just repaint it.

Last edited by RobRace10; 12-17-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:35 PM
beige79
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dmeesq

This is really SWEET!!! I wish I had seen this a month ago. Love the seats. Where did you get the seat covers?

Last edited by beige79; 12-18-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Used wrong picture
Old 12-18-2010, 04:10 PM
EricU
Racer

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Don't buy any new stuff, just to improve appearance or to change color. Remove all components you want to redo. Wash them with detergent...WELL...to rid them of built-up Armor-All , dirt, grease, etc. Rinse several times to get all detergent residue off. Dry completely.
As you can see my seats need recovering and I need new carpet and door panels. All readily available from Wilcox and others.
My centor console pieces are in good shape just need cleaning, and possibly dying. I will see after I clean them.

Buy a pint of SEM "ColorCoat" Vinyl dye ...
Is this the product you are talking about?
http://www.yourautotrim.com/semdye.html

Which black is the correct black for the centor console?
  • Landau?
  • Flat?
  • Gloss?

...Also buy a $5 PreVal bottle/gas cannister sprayer; it works great for vinyl dye....
Why do I need this? Am I looking at the wrong product? It seems to be in an aerosol can.

I think my E-brake handle may just need to be cleaned up, but what about the power window switches?

And how do I clean up/restore/replace the center console surround area that is silver (?) in this picture? Is it plated? Can I have it replated? And after going and taking this picture I realized that I dont need another 5-speed logo as I had already installed one"

Thanks, Eric.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:33 PM
EricU
Racer

Sorry guys for asking so many questions, but:

This air control switch, how do I restore it?

What is the ash tray supposed to look like? And how do I go about it? Should I buy a new one?

And the same question for the vent lever and ****,

This is (kind of) how I want my interior to look (this guy has some SWEEET rides!)

Thanks again, Eric.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:09 PM
EricU
Racer

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
We carry everything you'll need... if you can't find it on the site, give us a call at 800-588-3883.

WOW! I finally checked out the Wilcox Corvette site and yes they do have quite a bit including a "Heater Control Rebuild Kit"

From other posts on this forum, I have decided to purchase my seat covers, carpet and door panels from Wilcox. Not to offend anyone, but how is their quality on the other non-fabric pieces? such as;
  • power window switches
  • Heater Control Rebuild Kit
  • Fiber Optics Console Trim
  • Console Data Plate (and how do you "letter" the blank one P/N 40872
  • Ashtray housing
  • Ashtray lid
Again, I truly do not want to offend anyone but I had a bad previous experience with my 64 Impala convertible with these kind of pieces.

I would also like to give Wilcox props for the wiring diagrams that they post for free and items like the YouTube windshield wiper motor test video.

Eric.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:32 PM
dmeesq
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by beige79
This is really SWEET!!! I wish I had seen this a month ago. Love the seats. Where did you get the seat covers?
Thanks, seats are from an 86 pontiac fiero, i had a local guy do the covers for them, but you can get them online also.
http://www.mrmikes.com/fierovetter.htm
Old 12-19-2010, 06:39 PM
EricU
Racer

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Don't buy any new stuff, just to improve appearance or to change color. Remove all components you want to redo. Wash them with detergent...to rid them of built-up Armor-All , dirt, grease, etc. Rinse several times to get all detergent residue off. Dry completely...

Buy a pint of SEM "ColorCoat" Vinyl dye...

I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for their help, I recieved some PMs that were very helpful and I think between a little cleaning, prep and replacement pieces from Willcox (they do seem to have everything!) I wil be able to redo my interior to the level I need (not NCRS)

But again, thanks, Eric.

Quick Reply: Full interior restoration