How to remove dash?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 11:41 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Eric,
Remember, you're dealing with 40 year old vinyl, hard plastic, pot metal castings, vacuum hoses and electrical wiring.
You can break something in an instant that will cost hundreds of $ to replace. (For example the center gauge bezel.)
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
I've probably done three complete dash removals and re-installations and some partial removal/re-install. The 45 year old plastic substrates of the dash panels become like crystal glass. They fracture very easily. There's often tight fits. On the original assembly line, I assume the workers just used their fist to push interior parts into place. Do this on you 45 year old Corvette and these plastic parts will possibly shatter. I don't think it's possible to do a original interior disassembly and restore without damaging something. The idea is to minimize damage. For instance, the center instrument panel screws into the passenger's and driver's side vertical dash panels. After two or so remove and install...these screws will gouge out meaningless holes in the driver's and passenger's vertical dash panels and screwing in the instrument panel becomes hopeless.

Working with the driver's side instrument panel, you'll have to pretty much lower the steering wheel. Disconnect it from the mount were it mounts to the bottom of the windshield frame. You can then lower it by maybe three inches.

When you go to re-install the driver's side vertical dash panel, the tach and speedo cannisters will often interfere with the wiring harness. Remove the tach and speed cannister from the dash, reinstall it and put your hands through the holes for the speedo and tack and move the wire harness out of the way. Then remove the vertical dash, re=install the tach and speedo and install.

Also, working on the interior driver's side dash..or the clutch..or brake mechanism...or removing/installing the vacuum boost cannister..BECOMES SO MUCH EASIER IF YOU REMOVE THE STEERING COLUMN. I's pretty easy to remove..a little tedious...buy basically easy. A lot easier than laying on your back trying to work on the interior firewall wire harnesses, clutch, brake, etc.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 06-15-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:20 AM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Do I need to completely remove the dash to replace the following?:

-Left & right under dash speakers
-Stereo
-Tach cable
-Fresh air vent hoses
-Tripometer

Thanks
Old 09-07-2015, 06:57 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

I believe it is an OE bezel cut out for DIN syereo. Something that has to be done a lot cuz most were cut for 80's Pioneer stereos anyway. Mine was. Rather badly.

Last edited by derekderek; 09-07-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:18 AM
Dr-G
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
I believe it is an OE bezel cut out for DIN syereo. Something that has to be done a lot cuz most were cut for 80's Pioneer stereos anyway. Mine was. Rather badly.
I cut mine in my Z-28. Perfect job - until someone broke in and stole my radio in Lansing.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:55 PM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 267 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

I wish I hadn't read this thread before going to bed
Old 09-08-2015, 12:35 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Originally Posted by TreDawg
Where did you get the radio bezel? I'm upgrading the radio in my 75 in a week or so. I've been searching for a decent looking bezel.
This might be what you are looking for.

Chevy Corvette Radio DASH KIT: Single Din Install Aftermarket Stereo Faceplate

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380450306056

It works for both shaft and single DIN.

Last edited by Iceaxe; 09-08-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:49 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
This might be what you are looking for.

Chevy Corvette Radio DASH KIT: Single Din Install Aftermarket Stereo Faceplate

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380450306056

It works for both shaft and single DIN.
Thanks for the link, I will be needing that too
Old 09-09-2015, 05:17 PM
DABall
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a quick idea I picked up when I had to replace the dash in my '70 LS5. Before I installed the new dash I laid it in the sun for about an hour to really heat it up. After getting it really hot, it was really easy to bend in order to install without fear of cracking it down the middle. Just my TCW........
Old 09-09-2015, 06:21 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DABall
Just a quick idea I picked up when I had to replace the dash in my '70 LS5. Before I installed the new dash I laid it in the sun for about an hour to really heat it up. After getting it really hot, it was really easy to bend in order to install without fear of cracking it down the middle. Just my TCW........
good idea
Old 12-31-2017, 12:35 AM
J-Vette1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM). It helps. Take a look at how the dash was installed at the factory. Knowing how it went in is helpful when taking it out. The steering column mount bolts are also shown in the AIM.

I have always found it easier to start on the passenger's side and work my way left. Installation is the opposite; start on the driver's side and work your way right.

Go back to work on your seat mount bolts. Dash work is easier if the seats are out of the car.

Good luck.

I know this is an old post, but I just started the process of putting an overdrive manual into my 72, and thought I would try to remove the dash to do some minor "patching" since half of the interior is already apart. I'm wandering if they put the dash in at the factory before the windshield was installed. Does anyone know if it will come out that way without having to try to bend it. I'm afraid to snap that old thing in half.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:37 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Vette1
I know this is an old post, but I just started the process of putting an overdrive manual into my 72, and thought I would try to remove the dash to do some minor "patching" since half of the interior is already apart. I'm wandering if they put the dash in at the factory before the windshield was installed. Does anyone know if it will come out that way without having to try to bend it. I'm afraid to snap that old thing in half.
If you have the two "A" pillar side covers removed and the screw(s) removed under the dash so essentially it's free, gently apply pressure up from the bottom of the dash ( making it bow up a bit in the middle ) and at the same time slide a corner out (say the left side ) away from the pillar and presto, it's done. Some I believe have let the car sit in the sun to soften the dash to make more pliable just be patient and use light pressure.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:10 PM
J-Vette1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caskiguy
If you have the two "A" pillar side covers removed and the screw(s) removed under the dash so essentially it's free, gently apply pressure up from the bottom of the dash ( making it bow up a bit in the middle ) and at the same time slide a corner out (say the left side ) away from the pillar and presto, it's done. Some I believe have let the car sit in the sun to soften the dash to make more pliable just be patient and use light pressure.
Originally Posted by caskiguy
Hope this helps.
Thanks for that. I may be taking the windshield out, so thats why I was wandering if I should wait on the dash (if it readily come out that way)

Quick Reply: How to remove dash?