Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

77 window alighnment and adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:19 AM
bioposi
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try, but I believe this will help at closing the rear gap between the window and the pillar. Not sure if it influence the inboard/outboard inclinaison that much.

In fact, I observed that, with the outer felt removed, the window has not the same position in the lifted and downed positions wrt the door trim/outer felt location.
The window touches the stainless trim while bottomed, where there is a 4 to 6 millimeters gap (the thickness of the felt) once lifted. In it course, the window starting from the bottom position ran for approximately 90% of it travel vertically then slip outboard to inboard during the last inches of the course to come in contact with the windshield pillar.

Imho, this difference make it difficult to find a good fitting.
I know that any attempt should be done with the outer felt mounted in the door, but once bottomed, the thickness of the outer felt (specially the inner sash weatherstrip) prevent from setting the window into the right place to reach the correct position once completely raised.
It is worth to note however that the correct fitting can be obtained if the outer felt is absent (so, it confirms that the thickness of the seal perturbates the fitting but it is required !).

It continues to 'jump' into the car, crossing the windshield pillar approximately near the weatherstrip's metal clip which is definitely not the correct trajectory for it.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:18 AM
bioposi
Heel & Toe

I went for additional readings of the C3 forum and found several times the following procedure that seems to work. I am going to give it a try.

Originally Posted by jlelec
Mine was jumping out of the blowout clip when slammed..
I tried the method in the assembly manual and belive it or not it worked! I had spent hours F*&^ with every other method. The assembly manual simply says the following:
1. Loosen all the adjustment bolts with the window down.
2. CAREFULLY and gently close the door
3. Let the window up.
4. Place a suction cup on the window and position it where it touches the weatherstripping and has proper clearances.
5. Tighten the bolts.

I did it a couple of times before it suited me, but it worked...
Old 10-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

For what its worth I had the same problem with my 81. I could not get the glass adjusted with the door panel off. I ended up getting it close with the panel off and then I would just hang the panel on the upper lip and it seems to push the glass out enough to allow it to travel all the way up and in the proper position. I'm thinking now that if I cut the outer felt like Willcoxs suggested I might be able to adjust it with the panel off. At this point I'm going to leave well enough alone "if its not broke then don't fix it" Good Luck...Tim
Old 10-19-2011, 06:18 AM
bioposi
Heel & Toe

Wow... I must say that the recommended procedure I just tried worked pretty well !

First time right : seated inside the car, door closed, outer felt seal in place and glass fully downed, I loosened all the bolts that attach the power window system (horizontal tilt track, front and back tracks, front and rear glass cushion). All the elements were moving in the breeze. Then, I lifted the window using the motor, just below the upper track stops to be able to move the glass in any direction the loosened bolts permits. I used a suction cups to have grip on the window. Using the suction cups, I placed the glass in the upper correct position to my opinion, looking at seating correctly on the weatherstrips (windshield pillar, rear pillar and hardtop).

Once positioned, I tightened the horizontal tilt track first, then the bottom and top of the front track (both fore/aft and inboard/outboard screws), then the window anti-rattle cushions (front and back).

Surprisingly, the window adopted a near-to-perfect position. The power window motor is able to move the glass up and down, with some efforts however as the new outer seal is new and keep the glass under pressure. The glass has a sort of a trajectory in 'S', that avoid the front edge to rattle on the pillar weatherstrip clip (don't remember it name).
However, as a nuts like I am, I forgot to loosen the upper track stops that prevent the glass to run all the way (that causes a (small) gap at the front T-Top seal), so I have to restart the whole process.

But, solution is there I think. Loose everything, raise glass, put it in correct position then tighten in place. I am going to redo the whole process and I expect this time it will be once for all.

Hope this helps.
Drive safely.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedRacerMach (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:44 PM
SpeedRacerMach
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know if there's value reopening this thread but I just thought chime in since I'm experiencing the same issue here. I think the C3's window just gets out of alignment sometime and it doesn't have anything to do with the parts. Reason: I just purchased a very original 1979 with 25,315 miles. Almost everything is original down to the tires and belts. The drivers window is exhibiting the same problem (too far inboard when rolling up). I tried adjusting using the manual and like the op stated the instructions are useless could not find bolt E and I think it incorrectly states to 'Back off adjusting screws (G) but the diagram doesn't have a G screw, I think it's referring to (C). After trying to follow these instructions a few times I just gave up. Sat down and searched the forum and found this old thread. I'll have to try the method suggested (loosen up everything and use suction cups to hold he window in postion, close door to adjust and tighten everything from the inside with the door closed.

Last edited by SpeedRacerMach; 03-30-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 77 window alighnment and adjustment