Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barn find Race Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,325 Posts

That's a typical SCCA GT-1 Corvette race car, from the late 70's and up.

Around 1978, the SCCA started to allowed the pontoon, or "wide body", flairs on the front fenders, but not on the rear. So everyone ran pontooon front fenders and the ZL-1 type rear flairs. Prior to that, the ZL-1 flairs were run front and rear.

The SCCA log book is a plus. That proves that the car has a racing pedigree, and does make it more desirable to some people interested in vintage racing. The log book was issued to the car, and roll cage, at the time it was built. The Identity number was recorded on the log book, and stamped into the main hoop of the roll bar. The log book was to remain with the car, and transfer from owner to owner. Each time the car was presented for tech at a race; the date, race, driver, etc., were recorded in the book. If there was an on track incident involving the car, this would be recorded in the log book, too. Basically, the log book became a complete history of the car's life as a race car. The Identity Number was made up of the SCCA Region where the car was first presented for tech, and a continuous number from the region, starting with 001. In the case of this car, 42 is the Washington DC Region, and it was the 647th Log Book issued by the DC region.

The on track picture of the car when it was painted red, appears that it may have been taken in The Carousel area of Summit Point Raceway. Summit Point is located about an hour and a half north/west of DC, near Harpers Ferry, WV, and is the home track for the SCCA DC Region. With the car being in the Belair MD area, and a Log Book issued by the DC region, it makes sense that the car probably raced at Summit Point.

I spent a lot of time at Summit Point in the 70's, 80's and 90's. I use to crew for a team that raced a GT-1 Corvette, and later, Trans-Am/GT-1 Camaros (we set the GT-1 track record with one of the Camaros, around 1985). I don't recall that car, but it doesn't mean I never saw it, we may even have raced against it. I'll have to look through some of my old slides, and see if it's in any of them.

I agree with lvrpool32, that the headers do appear to be Stahl's. This is pretty common among Camaro and Corvette road racers in the Northeast.

I'm sure that www.registryofcorvetteracecars.com would be interested in some info on this car. Forum member Wayne Ellwood is a contributor to the registry.

With a Log Book and a verifiable race history, it's a good starting place for a vintage race car, but not at $20,000.

I'll reserve comment on the owners choice of PCV valve.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:43 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

If it had an SVRA badge maybe, otherwise he's probably smoking what he's growing
Old 01-17-2011, 11:36 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
With a Log Book and a verifiable race history, it's a good starting place for a vintage race car, but not at $20,000.

there was a time not too long ago (depending on the date of the first race in the book) that the SCCA log book alone would have been easily worth $3500 (more if it was from a A/P big block car). that time has come and gone and anyone building a vintage racer today would be better off starting with a bare frame and a birdcage and I`m not so sure you even need a birdcage anymore.....
Old 01-17-2011, 01:08 PM
EricU
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 69ragvette
...yes he thinks it worth 20k
That is really too bad, I am trying to decide on a car build for my two teenage boys to get involved in the local Nor Cal driving events (NASA) and would love to pick up a car like that, but NOT at that price point!! Oh well, I will probably start em out in some throw away momentum car like a spec Miata.

That car reminds me of years ago a friend's dad in Concord (CA) had a 69 Mach 1 with a dead motor in his driveway, sitting uncovered on four flats. I tried to buy that thing off of him so many times but he always thought it was worth more than a clean runner. That car just rotted which looks like the same future of that Vet.

BTW, what happened to the photos?

Eric.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

I was wondering the same thing....pics are dead......re-up please?

I haven seen pics, but from the descriptions given it sounds like a POS.........cant wait to see the PCV issue!

dodosmike
Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
I was wondering the same thing....pics are dead......re-up please?

I haven seen pics, but from the descriptions given it sounds like a POS.........cant wait to see the PCV issue!

dodosmike
Maybe the MODs did not like the PCV thing??
Old 01-17-2011, 05:55 PM
69ragvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pics

Just tried to repost pics but no luck will try again sorry
Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,325 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
there was a time not too long ago (depending on the date of the first race in the book) that the SCCA log book alone would have been easily worth $3500 (more if it was from a A/P big block car). that time has come and gone and anyone building a vintage racer today would be better off starting with a bare frame and a birdcage and I`m not so sure you even need a birdcage anymore.....
Yep, I do agree, but just like the restorers that will only use NOS GM parts in the blue and white boxes, there are still some people that have to have a car with an original Log Book.

Who knows, that Log Book might contain the name of a driver who became famous later.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:13 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Pics Please
Old 01-18-2011, 05:15 PM
69ragvette
Racer

Default pics

photobucket will not let me post them?try this link http://picasaweb.google.com/67fbconv...eat=directlink

Last edited by 69ragvette; 01-18-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:46 PM
69ragvette
Racer

Default link

http://picasaweb.google.com/67fbconv...eat=directlink
Old 01-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

with the late '70s comments. Odds are it was a club racer only, since it is a coupe. Odds are the front clip is one piece and was purchased due to the original being gone from a street wreck. Perfect candidate for a race car, a wrecked street car that wasn't worth fixing.

$20,000 would be ok if the car was all together and ready (somewhat) to race. Few are actually ready to race as you buy them. For your own piece of mind, you'd want to double check brakes, suspension parts, etc to be sure all is up to snuff.

This car requires a lot to make it to a track. paint, windshield, rear window, harness, fire system, fuel cell (one there is probably too old to be safe), and so on. Figure $10,000 easily to get it to the track.

And that assumes the engine runs.

This car is worth more like $5000 in today's economy. $10,000 is tops if he has enough spares, parts needs, and other stuff.

Quick Reply: Barn find Race Car?