Correct wheel bearing torque

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:44 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Correct wheel bearing torque

Ok,

So here I am researching the proper method for reinstalling my front wheel bearings and I come to a snag.

This post says to torque to 15 ft/lbs and then back off to the first hole for the cotter pin
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-bearings.html

that method is backed up by this article
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2006...el_bearing.asp

but this thread at the end says that 15 lbs is too much
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-question.html

then this thread just says to tighten and then back off for the cotter pin
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-bearings.html

so really and truly what is the correct method?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:55 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

hello
I just watched a video today from one of the supporting vendors Vette Brakes and Products. They were replacing the front wheel bearings. In the video they tightened up the nut so the wheel bearings were snug, and then they backed off the nut until the rotor gave a little play when moving from side to side. Next they installed the cotter pin. They did not use a torque wrench in this and adusted it more by feel. That the rotor spun freely without binding or grinding, yet still had some slight play when moving the rotor side to side.

Check out their online video.

kdf
Old 03-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

15 ft lbs seems like a lot to me as well...I have not done a lot of these, but it seems to me if you go 15 and just back off to where you can get a pin in it, you could end up with some preload on those bearings. I used 8 ft lbs, although I can't tell you where I got that number from, I don't remember. Then backed off and tightened good by hand.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:13 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GTR1999
I tighten the nut while spinning forward, I use a wrench not concerned with torque just seating the bearings. Then I'll back the nut off and then finger tighten them,only sligthly backing off to align the cotter pin hole. They should rotate smooth and have about .002 endplay. If the hole doesn't line up then I'll grind the washer a few thousands.
Do this.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:43 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If the wheel doesn't spin freely once the cotter pin is inserted it is too tight.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If the bearing is fully seated on the spindle and you torque up to 15 ft-lbs (very light load, as far as the bearing is concerned), backing it off to the first available alignment of the thru-hole and a slot on the castle nut should remove all torque but leave a modest amount of free-play. If the bearing doesn't become unloaded when you find that cotter pin alignment slot, there is something wrong with the wheel assembly. Are you certain that the bearing's inner and outer races are fully seated on their respective components?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:22 AM
gdm78vette
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

From the 1978 Service Manual:
-Tighten the spindle nut to 12 ft. lbs. while turning the wheel assembly forward by hand to fully seat the bearings. This will remove any grease or burrs which could cause excessive wheel play later.
-Back off the nut to the "just loose" position.
-Hand tighten the spindle nut. Loosen spindle nut until either hole in the spindle lines up with a slot in the nut. (Not more than 1/2 flat).
-Install new cotter pin. Bend the ends of the cotter pin against nut, cut off extra length to ensure ends will not interfere with the dust cap.
-Measure the looseness in the hub assembly. There will be from .001 to .005 inches end play when properly adjusted...
Old 03-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Jay-Dog
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

finger tight, spin spin spin, finger tight, spin spin spin, finger tight, spin spin spin, back off 1/8 turn. This has worked for me for 25 years.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Ditto I do the finger tight thing and never had a problems, once the up and down looseness is gone it's very close.Ron
Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 PM
whitehause
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always seems strange that the most important nut in holding the wheel on is only finger tight, but that's the way to do it. I've used an adjustable and spun the rotor forward till you feel some resistance , then back off and do the finger tight trick a couple times. It's a good idea to put a little torque on the nut the first time(8 to 10 lbs) just too make sure any excess grease gets squeezed out and you don't get excess run-out.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:27 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To me, the only way you should ever put anything more than finger tight load on bearing is if it has a spacer between the bearings.
I agree with Jay-Dog, Ron Rail, and Whitehause on this one.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:40 PM
6T6Vet
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"finger tight, spin spin spin, finger tight, spin spin spin, finger tight, spin spin spin, back off 1/8 turn. This has worked for me for 25 years" If it worked for Jay-dog for
25 years then I guess it will work for me.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:54 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 6T6Vet
"finger tight, spin spin spin, finger tight, spin spin spin, finger tight, spin spin spin, back off 1/8 turn. This has worked for me for 25 years" If it worked for Jay-dog for
25 years then I guess it will work for me.
Looks like we have another victim of the 'related thread' stuff going on with this forum. 6T6, this thread is 8 years old so I would not expect a response.

Maybe the mods will take a hint and turn that craptastic feature off...
Old 05-04-2019, 05:54 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

You should be able to feel the tiniest bit of play in the hub once it is cotter pinned. Like a couple thousandths.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:28 AM
6T6Vet
Advanced

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
Looks like we have another victim of the 'related thread' stuff going on with this forum. 6T6, this thread is 8 years old so I would not expect a response.

Maybe the mods will take a hint and turn that craptastic feature off...
Whether the thread is 8 years old or not it gave me the info I was looking for. It's apparent I wouldn't have been getting the info I needed from you.
The following users liked this post:
Nosheruk (12-09-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 10:25 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 6T6Vet
Whether the thread is 8 years old or not it gave me the info I was looking for. It's apparent I wouldn't have been getting the info I needed from you.
Not sure where that came from. My issue is with the site and how it takes you from one thread and automatically redirects you to a similar thread, sometimes without you knowing it which is why there have been a lot of people accidentally digging up old threads here lately. It is a site issue and one which multiple people have requested the moderators to fix.

But hey, if you want to take it personally, have at it as I couldn't care less what you think. Incidentally I literally just did front wheel bearings on my 72 three days ago, so the answer was on the tip of my fingers.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:02 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

He, We would rather people didn't revive threads. It worked for research. Leave it there, please. Ask same question-if there is one-in a new thread. We don't look at dates when reading a thread.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:36 PM
6T6Vet
Advanced

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
Not sure where that came from. My issue is with the site and how it takes you from one thread and automatically redirects you to a similar thread, sometimes without you knowing it which is why there have been a lot of people accidentally digging up old threads here lately. It is a site issue and one which multiple people have requested the moderators to fix.

But hey, if you want to take it personally, have at it as I couldn't care less what you think. Incidentally I literally just did front wheel bearings on my 72 three days ago, so the answer was on the tip of my fingers.

Apparently you must care about it because you keep coming back to it. So why does my post concern you. I needed the info and found it. I thought that's what this forum is about unless you just want something to whine about.

Get notified of new replies

To Correct wheel bearing torque

Quick Reply: Correct wheel bearing torque