Question on side pipe covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Question on side pipe covers

Can anyone tell me if any kind of heat shield will fit on the 69 sidepipe? Or do you have to use the original ones that came with them? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:21 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

????.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:19 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

your question is not clear ?

They now make new Chrome Oem style sidepipes "Crane" $$

and they also make a similar Fiberglass cover/ w shielding in them.
OEM type covers have heat sheilds built into them.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:33 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Sorry about the question, Corvette Central sells #323003 side pipes, They also sell the whole kit complete with the shields. I was woundering if the pipes are different then others. I want to purchase the pipes and put a different shild on it rather then the one they have. I just needed to know if these pipes were that different then pipes with headers. #323003 connect straight to the original manifolds.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:27 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

All OEM style side pipes should work with any OEM style shield.
Does not matter small or BB for the shieds.

Now the pipes are different for BB or SB.

If your searching to buy pipes seperate,
I bought directly from this manufactuer,
and am very pleased with them ; http://www.sweet-thunder.com
Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 PM
buckstom
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm a fanatic about originallity!

I have the OEM sidepipes on mine and have since it was new. The only place that I have found the exact covers is Ecklers. There are some similar but not exact. I just prefer the OE covers. That's just me.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

I like the originals too! But they are $$$$. This is why I asked if other heat shields would work on them.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi d,
I believe the only manufacturer of the 69 side exhaust covers and insulators is Paragon Reproduction. I think the other vendors are selling Paragon's repros.
The fiberglass covers make quite a nice appearance if you like a painted look. To my eye the fiberglass covers seem a bit small in that often the bottom of the muffler and head-pipe show. This could be, to some degree, because the covers were installed a bit too high, (close to the bottom of the door and fender lip).
There's no doubt that the fiberglass covers save some $$$.
Hope this info helps you figure out what to do.
Regards,
Alan

PS: Do the fiberglass covers have any sort of heat shield; or are they just the cover?
Old 05-14-2011, 12:38 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi d,
I believe the only manufacturer of the 69 side exhaust covers and insulators is Paragon Reproduction. I think the other vendors are selling Paragon's repros.
The fiberglass covers make quite a nice appearance if you like a painted look. To my eye the fiberglass covers seem a bit small in that often the bottom of the muffler and head-pipe show. This could be, to some degree, because the covers were installed a bit too high, (close to the bottom of the door and fender lip).
There's no doubt that the fiberglass covers save some $$$.
Hope this info helps you figure out what to do.
Regards,
Alan

PS: Do the fiberglass covers have any sort of heat shield; or are they just the cover?
Thanks Allen, They say the do have a heat shield. I was thinking if I go that route with the fiberglass, I'd paint them the same color as the car, but have the tip polished. What do you think of that idea? I'm trying to picture what my car would look like with color matched shields. Otherwise I might as well paint them the black or silver.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi d,
I think when the covers are painted body color they give the car a more 'custom' look.
Black or silver covers give the car a more racy look to my eye.
I wonder what the insulator is like that comes with the fiberglass covers? The new 69 insulators alone are $1200.
Tough Choices!
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi d,
I think when the covers are painted body color they give the car a more 'custom' look.
I wonder what the insulator is like that comes with the fiberglass covers? The new 69 insulators alone are $1200.
Tough Choices!
Regards,
Alan
That $1200 price is because they contain asbestos and are EXCELLENT at isulating the heat that occurs from 1000+ degree exhaust gas travelling through the mufflers less that an inch away from the chrome cover. You can drive a 69 sidepipe car for miles down the freeway and get out and rest your hands on the covers without getting burnt. There are also aluminum heat shields on the back side with an air gap between the composite side covers and the mufflers. Chevy wasn't going to be sued for medical damages occuring with cars equipped with this option. I just wish it hadn't been cancelled untal about 1973
Old 05-14-2011, 02:05 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Hi d,
Tough Choices!
Regards,
Alan
I am leaning on going with these covers:

KGK200 - '68-'82 Side Exhaust Covers http://www.acivette.com/

They are made by ACI and reproduced in fiberglass with a ceramic-based gel coat to help disperse heat. Fiberglass reproductions do not have an insulator inside like the stock 69 or stock reproductions, the fiberglass is the cover and the heat shield in one. Therefore, I think these would do the best job with the heat.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi,
I ran 69 'over the counter' pipes, insulators, and shields/covers for around 44k miles beginning in 71. The shields never got any hotter than 'warm'. I was mostly DEAF, but never burned.
In fact, in the Summer of 72 I drove from Cape Cod to Westminster Maryland with the roof panels off. Not only couldn't I HEAR, I really couldn't even THINK!. Almost every toll collector along the way, (no e-z-pass then), commented on the 'sound'.... never the 'noise'.
Regards,
Alan

PS: The reproduction insulators must have some material besides asbestos in them because I seriously doubt any asbestos is being sold as part of any product in America.

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-14-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:13 PM
my72vette454
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the fiberglass sidepipe covers on my car. I have 3 inch pipes with "glasspack" round mufflers stuffed inside them. They pretty much touch the mufflers so I used some of that woven exhaust insulation that comes in sheets, and lined the whole inside of the cover, gluing it in place with high temp silicone and it worked great. They stay cool to the touch all the time. I painted mine with some silver rattle can paint that I had kicking around and even that has held up good. I wanted to see how much of a difference it would make to take the exhaust out from under the car, interior temperature wise, and it made a big difference.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:43 PM
buckstom
Intermediate

Default Take a close look at the Paragon covers

They are not the same as OEM. They have some sort of clamp looking thing at the front and the tips are different. I looked at the Ecklers and I only needed one cover and theres look just like my 69 cover.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi B,
When you say 'clamp'... are you referring to the flat half-round brace that's riveted near the front of the cover and bolts to the frame?
And the 'tips'... of the covers or pipes?
Just curious!
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Makonut
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You can also send the fiberglass covers to Paul`s chrome. The last time I checked it was about 300.00 to chrome them.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on side pipe covers

Old 05-15-2011, 04:05 PM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

if you wan't something different check out the c2 side pipe and covers. the pipes bolt on the same way as c3 pipes.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:24 PM
buckstom
Intermediate

Default The Chrome part of the cover is different

The clamp looking thing is on the chrome part of the cover outside. Paragon covers are just not exactly the same. I think Ecklers is the only aftermaket that has rights to those covers. I have found some GM dealers that has a cover or two laying around. But very few
Old 05-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi b,
O.K.
Thanks!
Regards,
Alan

Quick Reply: Question on side pipe covers