Sponsored by:

Headlights won't go down...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:36 AM
twjones87
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights won't go down...

Ok, so yesterday I was messing with the headlights, and finally got them to open, but now they won't close...and can't figure out why or how to close them...any ideas? I'm thinking it maybe because the pass. side is damaged, but not sure...just picked up this car and is my first Vette...
Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Gilded_Splinters
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silly question, but you did start the car before trying to lower them, didn't you?

They'll open using residual vacuum that exists in the system, but you'll need to make more to close them.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:20 AM
78IndyPace
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts

twjones87 said:

...messing with the headlights, and finally got them to open, but now they won't close...
From this description it is impossible to tell what's wrong. The vacuum system isn't complicated, but neither is it intuitive; so you need to do some homework and start understanding how each component and the system functions and how it's all connected.

Here's a link to a paper I put together that should help you visualize and troubleshoot your system:

How Your Headlight Vacuum System Works

Since this is your first Corvette, also do yourself a favor and purchase an Assembly Information Manual (AIM) and the Chevrolet issued Service Manual for the year Corvette you have. Forum sponsor vendors offer these on CD or hard copy at a fair price. I found and bought mine (hard copy) on ebay.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:47 AM
twjones87
Instructor

I could never get them to come up with the headlight switch...I grabbed and gently pulled on them and they popped up. The pass. side housing is busted at one of the pivot points, so I'm sure that will make it difficult to lower. i will be replacing the assembly as soon as I can, but with the light busted out, I'd like to get them closed...atleast to make it look better when people come check it out lol...

i am looking at a couple AIM's online, going to be getting a hard copy and cd...

and yeah I had the car running when I tried to close the lights...still nothing ???
Old 06-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Define "messing with." You might want to check to ensure the override isn't open.

In a pinch, you can reach up from underneath, tug down on the center link, and they will lower.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 06-27-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:01 PM
twjones87
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Define "messing with." You might want to check to ensure the override isn't open.

In a pinch, you can reach up from underneath, tug down on the center link, and they will lower.

i have tried it with the override switch in both positions just to be sure...

as far as "messing with them" all I was doing was trying the switch and had a vacuum line loose, but other than that i havent done anything else. When I pulled the light switch i could hear a sound lke it was sucking air (can hear the same sound when I turn the wipers on, also not working all the time)
Old 06-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The hiss you hear is a vacuum leak. There are two vacuum hoses on the rear of the light switch.

68-72 cars also have a vacuum connection on the wiper door solenoid mounted on the rear of the tach.

Wait for your AIM to arrive; it shows the connections on the light switch, the wiper door solenoid, and the overrides.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:21 PM
twjones87
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
The hiss you hear is a vacuum leak. There are two vacuum hoses on the rear of the light switch.

68-72 cars also have a vacuum connection on the wiper door solenoid mounted on the rear of the tach.

Wait for your AIM to arrive; it shows the connections on the light switch, the wiper door solenoid, and the overrides.

ok cool thanks for the info man..will see how it goes once the AIM gets here lol
Old 05-30-2012, 05:44 PM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't want to burst anybodies bubble, but the AIM is useless for technical or troubleshooting problems. All you will get out of it is part location and name and part number. It is good for line routing and electrical stuff, but half of them don't even have a wiring diagram in them, my 69 does but the 75 doesn't.
You picked a doosy (spelling???) for a first car, a bicycle would have been a better choice!!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 06:35 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by twjones87
I could never get them to come up with the headlight switch...I grabbed and gently pulled on them and they popped up.
Ah so you manually raised them. There is a dogleg that locks when it goes past center.To manually lower them you will have to reach up from underneath and pull the dogleg in the center to unlock so they can lower.
I'm sure some can explain that better but bottom line it sounds as if your vacuum system needs some work. Read the How your vacuum system works ,your problem could be something very simple.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Lay on your back, slide under the front of the car, look up at the headlights , in the center there is a locking arm, pull it down, let it go, and the Headlights will close
Old 05-31-2012, 01:48 PM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Doozy - a standout, something unique, has turned into American slang as something substantial, often with some sort of pitfall but the original use meant for referencing something great, something one of a kind. The word arose from the automotive manufacturer Duesenberg. People would say, wow that is a real doozy...refering to their marvel of such a fine automobile.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights won't go down...

Quick Reply: Headlights won't go down...