Redoing the interior " over spray "

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:40 AM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redoing the interior " over spray "

I'm redoing the interior of my 75.

The guy before me has got white spray paint on the edges of the, well all around the stupid door.

Kick panels and the rear interior pieces.
I have used acetone but it's not doing a good job plus it is
dulling the plastic.

I'm spending good money on a very good paint job and good enough just will not work. It has to be right.

Any ideas on how to get the white spray paint off my black interior?

How about respraying the stock pieces?
I have read that Sem Dye is good stuff, but which shade and shine of black is the right one?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Ralph

By the way, new carpet, reupholstered seats and door panels and more....
Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Although I can't say which black is the correct one, I can say that I have used the SEM dye and it really is a great product. The color match on the light gray leather I had in a past car was excellent. Just make sure you use their cleaner and prep first, and use light coats of the dye. Proper prep and taking your time is the key to this turning out well.

I'm sure someone will know which black to use.

Good luck with your project!
Adam
Old 11-29-2011, 07:59 AM
spikebot 81
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I changed the interior color from light camel to black. Had to buy some misc. trim parts and they where NOS factory black. The SEM Satin black matched perfect.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:27 AM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

You can try WD-40 I have used it to take off paint on the body.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:07 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I doubt that you can remove that overspray without doing some surface damage to the vinyl panel(s). I think you would do best to buy some [liquid] SEM Colorcoat {dye} and recolor any interior components that require it. It would be best to remove any such panels and then reinstall them. The exceptions to this 'rule' might be the upper dash pade and/or the driver's dash pad.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Ron71
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 59 Posts

You might want to try a clay bar kit and see if that helps at all. The Magic Erasers may work as well, but it too may dull the plastic.

Worse case scenario, you would have to re-dye. I have used the SEM spray as well and it works great. You just have to use mutiple light coats as to not fill in all of the grain pattern, and do not spray if it is very humid outside, as the dye will want to blush (turn cloudy).
Old 11-29-2011, 04:29 PM
dennis
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

You may want to confirm you pieces were painted or if they are molded in black. As someone suggested factory NOS SERVICE REPLACEMENT PARTS were eventually all molded in black and sold to "color as needed", once the molded color stock was depleted. Just made sense, not to mention cost effective, to do all one color...... black.

Always thought this was an advantage to someone with a black interior, not having to use SEM or another elastomeric paint to color the interior. If they are molded black you may want to try something a bit more agressive to remove the paint. Just do it in a inconspicuous
area first.

Get notified of new replies

To Redoing the interior " over spray "

Quick Reply: Redoing the interior " over spray "