Sponsored by:

1981 new Interior Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 PM
eddy20
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1981 new Interior Cost?

Looking seriously at an 81 that needs a complete interior. Everything including side panels and dash etc. What would it cost to have it redone and is it hard for a DIY job?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I looked at what it would cost to change interior colours in a 79 a couple years ago. I found all parts were available with the possible exception of seatbelts, only some colours were available. My rough calculation was about $4000 for every single interior piece. I suspect that even with a car interior in poor condition you wouldn't need every single piece unless you were changing colour.

Last edited by Priya; 01-13-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

I'm doing an interior restoration right now myself, but one that doesn't include door panels or any dash materials. Jury is still out on the seats.

Here's what I have into it.

FLOORS
Duramat sound barrier. 9 panels $130
Reflectix Heat barrier. $15
Aluminum tape and adhesive spray: $20
Carpet $280

PANELS
Balck Trim paint for guage and wiper bezels: $12
Retrosound Radio: $160
Quartz Clock Replacement: $100

SOUNDS
Custom speaker box: $35 (self build)
Alpiine speakers, sub and amp: $300

Seats would be another $560 for a pair (if the Viper seats don't fit)

That doesn't include any rust inhibitor or metal work which seems to be popping up everywhere... Conservatively $100... Very Conservatively.

And I'm getting of light with dash, doors, and tops in great shape. Still at about $1200 without the new seats.

Good luck. Wow, I almost depressed myself.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Go onto Al Knochs website.....then drink heavily and cry! I'm restoring a 71 and purchased the Knoch seat covers, foam, seat backs, carpets, dash pad and some other interior items. They all add up. If you are looking to restore your seat belts to original quality try Ssnake Oyl. They do amazing work but are real big $$$$! it's a lot less to buy aftermarket belts. Good Luck!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm completely changing the interior color of my '80, but I'm also upgrading it with 100% leather door panels and all leather seat covers - not the OEM "leather like" vinyl.

The seat covers are $800.00 for a mounted set of two backs and two bottoms. This is cheaper than buying the covers and foams separately then doing the work yourself because the cost of the installation tools is what puts that amount over the top. The door panels are quite expensive too; about $750.00 for a set of two. You can get cheaper if you opt not to go with leather.

A replacement dash pad is $500.00. A complete carpet set is $340.00 and the sound deadener is about $130.00. Sounds like a couple of G's should do it.

My only advice, go with one supplier for everything. Most aftermarket stores color match their carpets to their vinyl or leather (or so they say). Maybe they use the same color codes, it don't know. But at the very least one source will make sure that all of the stuff matches when it goes out the door.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:54 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

You can save some money and buy some interior parts from me. I dont have alot left, BUT what I have is still in really good shape. You will prob have to dye the pieces bc mine are cinnabar in color. PM me if you are interested!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:54 AM
81corvettevortec
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just finished redoing my entire interior. I didn't have to buy a new dash or the t top and rear class trim pieces which saved around a $1000. Definitely try and repair the vinyl if its nothing major and then just dye them all so they will match correctly. After everything though I am still around $3500 once its all said and done. I figured it would be in the $2500 range but once I started tearing stuff out I found things that would be better to just replace now than have to worry about later. While I had it out, I changed all the bulbs in the interior, converted my speedo to 165mph, changed all the circuit boards, installed sound deadening (stinger road kill), and new lenses for all the gauges. This was all on top of the normal interior bits and trust me it adds up quick.

Just a suggestion, but try and make the most comprehensive list you can and wait for Wilcox (usually the cheapest) to have another 10%+ off and free shipping deal. All in all though, I am glad I did everything. If you don't plan on keeping the car for a long time there are things I wouldn't spend the money on again, but if its a car you plan to keep for the foreseeable future then I say do it all the first time.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Select any of the major aftermarket providers at the left - most of these folks have on line catalogues. Scroll to the interior section and begin putting together a price list.

Most of these folks sell interior packages and offer discounts.

It would cost you essentially nothing, other than the parts, if you do the work yourself. Check the upholstery shops in your area and get a couple or three estimates if you intend to pay for the installation.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:13 PM
eddy20
Instructor

Brought the car home today; runs great and I looked her over better. The dash is not thrashed; but only a couple of cracks on the main part or face of the dash. Also the top black piece against the window is cracked; repair or replace? I'm not sure what to do; but thinking with everything else new (carpet, side panels and seats) maybe the dash will look worse? But on this forum i have read the dash is a PITA and the aftermarket manufactures do not do a great job concerning the dash. So maybe leave it as is?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:29 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Below are links to our site. We carry both Corvette America and Al Knoch
We also have some packages and I've listed that link below.

Give us a call at 800-588-3883 or 812-288-7103 if you have any questions.

Click here to view all 1981 Forum Special Sections:

For interior items on our site always search the forum special section. Parts listed in there are already discounted from retail price and with the current sale you'll save even more! The current sale code is TENPERCENT and it has to be entered when you check out on the site.

Seat covers mounted:

Seat covers Leather

Seat covers leather like

Door panels

Carpet Set

Interior Packages.

Dash Pad

With the current production of the 1978-1982 dash pads we are not having any issues. They really are not that hard to install, they just take some time. The top black section in this case is part of the entire dash pad too..

I have instructions on the installation on our web site at this link:
http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=263

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 01-19-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by eddy20
...I'm not sure what to do...
My advice: don't do anything yet. Drive the car for a while and get aquainted. Start putting together of list of things which need to be done now, things which will need to be done later, and things you want to do but are not critical.

Cruise and enjoy.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:05 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Minor cracks on the dash can be repaired with some careful work. Loose surface edges need to be cut back to 'flush', crack needs to be filled with something like polyester body putty (if narrow and not too deep) or foam filler (if larger crack). Note: It's best to put some blue painter's tape along the edges of the crack being repaired, so that the filler material does not get on the 'good' finished surface.

If foam filler is used, top it off with a thin skim of the polyester putty. As putty is getting firm, use a small tool to put graining marks into the surface for a consistent surface look with the rest of the dash pad.

Last step is to recolor the damaged area...or the entire piece...with SEM "ColorCoat" vinyl dye. I prefer the liquid dye mixed to the GM interior color code...then sprayed with your equipment or an inexpensive Pre-Val bottle sprayer (same paint store where SEM is purchased).
Old 01-31-2012, 11:10 PM
eddy20
Instructor

Default DIY or Pay for interior installation? Corvette Mikes Anaheim,CA

Did the brakes and car runs fine now wondering should I tackel the interior or just pay somebody to do it that does it everyday? has anybody used Corvette Mikes in Anaheim, CA?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:51 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you have the buck$ and don't do the DIY thing, having someone else do it would be a good idea. But, it should be someone who already knows what they are doing.

I know that at large Corvette shows where Al Knoch has a booth, he almost always is working on someone's car to show off his stuff and the quality of work they do. Maybe they 'cut a better deal' for someone who will allow their car to be done at the show? Doesn't hurt to ask...

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 new Interior Cost?

Quick Reply: 1981 new Interior Cost?