Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:00 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 69VetteFla
Just got back from the shop. Everything was installed correctly so they are removing the clutch kit and sending it back to AP. I did sit in the car and shift without the motor running and I have to say my 4 spd muncie seemed to have been a smoother and easier shift. Getting into 3rd and 4th seemed to be the most difficult - only spent a few minutes so could be nothing. Really hoping that it is just that it wasn't running or that I am not used to it.
The TKO shifter will smooth out in 200-300 miles, mine was a bit hard to shift the 1st day it was installed, it was so hard that it sometimes wont shift into 5th no matter how hard to try!, but now (after about 600 miles), its super smooth and I can't tell any difference than the muncie, I even proved that when a friend who drives a '65 with original 4 sp. drove my car, actually he is thinking now to change over to TKO!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:08 AM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well, no refund yet, time to call paul again today.

I am planning on pulling my engine to do my trans swap and install the engine/ trans as an assembly. I figure it will make dialing in the bellhousing easier (if it needs it, using a factory one.) and put in a new cam while I am at it. I never have had a problem removing dowel pins, what happened to yours? how did you end up getting them out?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 AM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Just spoke with paul. My refund, was sent out by check yesterday just for the flywheel, There was some confusion, and there is a seprate check supposed to go out today for my clutch. So i should have 2 checks enroute, I'll let you know when I see them.

I good news my tailhousing is at the machine shop and they expect my trans to ship today, or tomorrow at the latest. Finally a light at the end of the tunnel!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:54 AM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HamadUP
The TKO shifter will smooth out in 200-300 miles, mine was a bit hard to shift the 1st day it was installed, it was so hard that it sometimes wont shift into 5th no matter how hard to try!, but now (after about 600 miles), its super smooth and I can't tell any difference than the muncie, I even proved that when a friend who drives a '65 with original 4 sp. drove my car, actually he is thinking now to change over to TKO!
That is great news - thanks One less thing to worry about.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:57 AM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by C6Matt
Just spoke with paul. My refund, was sent out by check yesterday just for the flywheel, There was some confusion, and there is a seprate check supposed to go out today for my clutch. So i should have 2 checks enroute, I'll let you know when I see them.

I good news my tailhousing is at the machine shop and they expect my trans to ship today, or tomorrow at the latest. Finally a light at the end of the tunnel!
Glad to hear that update
Old 05-17-2012, 12:17 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by HamadUP
Gee I sure hope so... Got about 400 miles on mine so far and I miss 3rd for OD all the time when trying to do race type of shifting..... My Richmond t-10 did not have this problem.... Going from OD to 3rd is extremely diffacult .... It s almost inpossable some time... So far very disappointed about the shifting.. But I will wait to see how it feels in another 300 miles...
Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Bullseye83
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have the actual weight on the different packages?
I've got 3 packages on its way, no idea what's in them:

UPS Ground
119.00 LBS
44.00 LBS
15.00 LB

Everything except the driveshaft? I've tried to get in contact with AP, but no answers...
Old 05-17-2012, 12:41 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by pauldana
Gee I sure hope so... Got about 400 miles on mine so far and I miss 3rd for OD all the time when trying to do race type of shifting..... My Richmond t-10 did not have this problem.... Going from OD to 3rd is extremely diffacult .... It s almost inpossable some time... So far very disappointed about the shifting.. But I will wait to see how it feels in another 300 miles...
How is the other shifting besides OD to 3rd? Has that improved over time?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:02 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I thought it was a known fact with these transmissions that 3rd gear is hard to find, especially powershifting from 2nd to 3rd.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:23 PM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by qwank
I thought it was a known fact with these transmissions that 3rd gear is hard to find, especially powershifting from 2nd to 3rd.
I had heard this as well. Its much harder to shift when the trans is outside the car, my present senerio
Old 05-17-2012, 01:32 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Unfortunately, I never heard this. I did just google and found tons of crap on it including the below detailed experience of a Mustang owner and his TKO 600 experience and fix. Why the hell would Tremec not deal with this obviously common problem that has been known for years. I am assuming that regular 2nd to 3rd shifts are smooth and that this is a power shifting issue only - thoughts?

http://www.w8ji.com/tko_600_shifting_problems.htm

Last edited by 69VetteFla; 05-17-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added link
Old 05-17-2012, 01:37 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Unfortunately, I never heard this. I did just google and found tons of crap on it including the below detailed experience of a Mustang owner and his TKO 600 experience and fix. Why the hell would Tremec not deal with this obviously common problem that has been known for years. I am assuming that regular 2nd to 3rd shifts are smooth and that this is a power shifting issue only - thoughts?

http://www.w8ji.com/tko_600_shifting_problems.htm
Oh man, that sucks you didn't know that. This is one of the man reasons Keisler claims their RS transmissions are superior to the TKO.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Oh man, that sucks you didn't know that. This is one of the man reasons Keisler claims their RS transmissions are superior to the TKO.
I am reading now about places that fix this problem. My question is will the TKO shift fine 2nd to 3rd if not power shifting?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:57 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Power shifting from any gear to 3rd and 4th sucks plan and simple... Man, I was under the impression this would go away in 500 miles or so.... This would suck big time at the track... If this does not get better I am going to hate this trans....

Yes please ..... Post any and all fixes here... This needs to be handeled..
Old 05-17-2012, 02:05 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Power shifting from any gear to 3rd and 4th sucks plan and simple... Man, I was under the impression this would go away in 500 miles or so.... This would suck big time at the track... If this does not get better I am going to hate this trans....

Yes please ..... Post any and all fixes here... This needs to be handeled..
If you google tko600 shifting problem fixes you will find lots of places that create plates to fix the problem. I am not planning on racing my car and am hoping that this isn't a problem for regular shifting at maybe 5-5.5k rpms.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:08 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I coppied this from the web page given above... This is exactly what has happened to me out at willow springs race way:

I was dumbfounded when, during my first pass with the new TKO, I missed 3rd gear like a driver weaned on a power glide. Making several more passes, I tried various shifting styles. Every time I tried to hit 3rd with the TKO-600 it was like slamming the shifter into a brick wall. It just would not go. I finally tried to hold the clutch longer than normal at only 5000 RPM and I pushed really hard. The transmission went back into 1st! I beat my car to death trying to shift this transmission into 3rd. In 40 years of racing, the Tremec 2 to 3 shift was the worse thing I ever remember. It was like trying to speed shift my tractors, or an old three-speed stick!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:23 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

On a significantly less important note than shifting - not too happy with the blurry lack of quality of the gear shift indicator plastic plate. Don't know why it is so difficult to make R, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 look clear and professionally done.

Get notified of new replies

To American Powertrain transmission group buy

Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

On a significantly less important note than shifting - not too happy with the blurry lack of quality of the gear shift indicator plastic plate. Don't know why it is so difficult to make R, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 look clear and professionally done.
pic? or if you want me to post it, email me at my username @ hotmail.com
Old 05-17-2012, 05:22 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by C6Matt
pic? or if you want me to post it, email me at my username @ hotmail.com
Car is still at shop because they had to take out the AP clutch and are installing another clutch tomorrow so can't take a pic. If someone else doesn't post a pic before I get my car back (hopefully end of day tomorrow) I will post. The white lettering is not crisp and is kind of blurry and not so solidly filled with white. Went online looking for a replacement - wondering if Keisler's is any better.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:51 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

No magic about having a smooth 2nd to 3rd shift, I have absoluetly no problems with that, I just follow what Gray from AP demonstrated in youtube on how to shift from 2nd to 3rd, its kinda different that what we all used to with our old Muncies, in TKOs you just push the lever forward with your palm and it will click right into 3rd, as simple as that.

Quick Reply: American Powertrain transmission group buy