Sponsored by:

American Powertrain transmission group buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HamadUP
No magic about having a smooth 2nd to 3rd shift, I have absoluetly no problems with that, I just follow what Gray from AP demonstrated in youtube on how to shift from 2nd to 3rd, its kinda different that what we all used to with our old Muncies, in TKOs you just push the lever forward with your palm and it will click right into 3rd, as simple as that.
Just pulled up the video on youtube. That makes me feel a lot better
Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

No magic about having a smooth 2nd to 3rd shift, I have absoluetly no problems with that, I just follow what Gray from AP demonstrated in youtube on how to shift from 2nd to 3rd, its kinda different that what we all used to with our old Muncies, in TKOs you just push the lever forward with your palm and it will click right into 3rd, as simple as that.

ok...post the utube video plz, love to see it,,, thx maybe i just dont know how to shift anymore... but if your slamming gears in a race, just going easy and slow isn't going to hack it. my T-10 you could slap em as fast as your hand could travel.

but, ummmm that does not seem to be my fortune... feels more like a brick wall.

but to go from 5th to reverse at 70mph seems to be a breeze... going 5th to 3rd or 4th.... brick wall
Old 05-17-2012, 09:03 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by pauldana
ok...post the utube video plz, love to see it,,, thx maybe i just dont know how to shift anymore... but if your slamming gears in a race, just going easy and slow isn't going to hack it. my T-10 you could slap em as fast as your hand could travel.

but, ummmm that does not seem to be my fortune... feels more like a brick wall.

but to go from 5th to reverse at 70mph seems to be a breeze... going 5th to 3rd or 4th.... brick wall
I think this is the link that hamad was talking about. Doesn't show downshifting. Didn't know you were having problems 5th to 4th - that isn't good. Are you serious that trying to go 5th to 4th sometimes you end up shifting into reverse?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRyrXNHYbf0
Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

No reverse lockout on the TKO?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 69VetteFla
I think this is the link that hamad was talking about. Doesn't show downshifting. Didn't know you were having problems 5th to 4th - that isn't good. Are you serious that trying to go 5th to 4th sometimes you end up shifting into reverse?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRyrXNHYbf0
Thx. for the link..I'll watch it in a bit..

Yea, it's easier to go from 5th to reverise then to 4th or 3rd..

Originally Posted by qwank
No reverse lockout on the TKO?
Dosnt seem to be..... Grind away....
Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Was just googling around trying to find out about reverse lockout on TKO 600 and confirmed they are not. Also read that it is hard to get into first at a rolling speed - something about the synchros are not big enough. Also says that all of the gears are sychronized except reverse and that you should go into a forward gear then into reverse.
Link to message board postings about it
http://bbs.piclz.com/viewthread.php?tid=71200&page=1
Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TKO shifting Video

I will say I've had T56's in a couple rides (impalla ss, c5 zo6, C6, 4th gen WS6) and they all took the open palm straight in for 3rd. On the strip it was impossible to get 3rd any other way. I imagine that is what the tko qwill be like after a few miles on it.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:28 AM
arcticcatmatt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch me shift at 57 seconds in this video (and a few other spots in it) http://youtu.be/Iioh80ZGtvY

Just using the palm of your hand = no problems.. let the centering springs do their job.. remember, this is a pretty heavy duty transmission. Does it shift as smooth as my 2012 chevy cruze eco? Hell no.. does my cruze eco tranny handle 600 lb/ft torque? Hell no
Old 05-18-2012, 12:46 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You guys are worrying WAY too much!, the TKO600 is a great transmission, I never felt any shifting problems, it withstands just anything you put in front of it, get your TKOs installed and start enjoying your "new" cars again!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:47 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

This guy made a great review in his youtube channel (i think he is a forum member) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zIwltdD_ZY&feature=plcp
Old 05-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Hamad - are you using the science friction clutch?
Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

This guy made a great review in his youtube channel (i think he is a forum member) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zIwltdD_ZY&feature=plcp
Great video. Love the rear view shots with the smoking tires on the highway. Good to know if I double the horsepower of my engine that I can still use the TKO
Old 05-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What gear oil did you use for your tko and where did you get it?
Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by Billysvette
What gear oil did you use for your tko and where did you get it?
I believe the shop used GM synchromesh oil
Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
Hamad - are you using the science friction clutch?
yes, the one supplied by AP.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:17 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 69VetteFla
I believe the shop used GM synchromesh oil
One of the techs at AP told me to break-in the trans. using Dexron III ATF for the 1st 500 miles an then switch to the GM synchromesh oil.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:37 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

So I had the call AP back today even though they said they would call me yesterday. They said they measured my flywheel and found it perfect even though I measured .009" thickness variation.

They said they could either send it back to the manufacturer and if they found nothing wrong with it they would charge them $40, or they could send it out locally to have it checked out for $25. I asked if I was going to be charged for this and he couldn't give me a straight answer.
So I asked if the pressure plate could be the problem. And he said the manufacturer (different one then the flywheel) said the only way it would chatter like that is if it was installed properly, meaning bolting it down one side at a time and not in the star pattern. I told them it was absolutely installed correctly. I've done tons of clutches and have NEVER had a chatter problem before.

So I told them I just want to return the parts and get my money back because I already bought new ones and they car was done. (I was actually driving home from work in it when they called back.) I'm not satisfied with the parts and I don't know why I have to go through all this BS to get a refund.

So naturally, I'm not getting a good feeling about this. And now they have my parts and my money, and are possibly going to charge me diagnostic fees. And I'm sure they're going to say there's nothing wrong with anything so they can keep my money.

Here's what my flywheel and pressure plate looked like after 150 miles:

Get notified of new replies

To American Powertrain transmission group buy

Old 05-18-2012, 07:46 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

So I had the call AP back today even though they said they would call me yesterday. They said they measured my flywheel and found it perfect even though I measured .009" thickness variation.

They said they could either send it back to the manufacturer and if they found nothing wrong with it they would charge them $40, or they could send it out locally to have it checked out for $25. I asked if I was going to be charged for this and he couldn't give me a straight answer.
So I asked if the pressure plate could be the problem. And he said the manufacturer (different one then the flywheel) said the only way it would chatter like that is if it was installed properly, meaning bolting it down one side at a time and not in the star pattern. I told them it was absolutely installed correctly. I've done tons of clutches and have NEVER had a chatter problem before.

So I told them I just want to return the parts and get my money back because I already bought new ones and they car was done. (I was actually driving home from work in it when they called back.) I'm not satisfied with the parts and I don't know why I have to go through all this BS to get a refund.

So naturally, I'm not getting a good feeling about this. And now they have my parts and my money, and are possibly going to charge me diagnostic fees. And I'm sure they're going to say there's nothing wrong with anything so they can keep my money.

Here's what my flywheel and pressure plate looked like after 150 miles:

Definitely there is something wrong with that setup, the burning spots are only on exactly one half of the pressure plate proofs that.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:50 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

I bet you 68VetteFla's would have looked like that if he kept driving it

Last edited by qwank; 05-18-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:19 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

I bet you 68VetteFla's would have looked like that if he kept driving it
qwank - My parts are being sent back on Monday. I will let you know if I run into a problem and please keep me posted on your situation with them. I am not willing to accept anything less than a full refund. We waited much longer than promised for parts, and in my case I have to spend $500 in labor to have the tranny removed and another clutch kit put in (you have to spend your time which is valuable too). If they give us a hard time, I will do all I can to make sure that all of the forum members here know exactly what went down.

Quick Reply: American Powertrain transmission group buy