Sponsored by:

American Powertrain transmission group buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 69VetteFla
Ok - picked up my car just now and drove it around 4 miles home (have to bring it back in the morning for some tweaking) but wanted to share my initial thoughts. Shifting is definitely something to get used to but I am sure that won't be a problem after a while. Going from 2nd to 3rd will either go to 5th by accident or you hit a wall unless you shift with the palm of your hand. I am sure after 30 or 40 shifts it will become a more natural shift (hopefully). The shifter is definitely higher and needs to be dealt with. AP told me that the top of the ball should be 6" tall from the console plate as measured on a very original '69. Mine is now 7.5" tall. Going to call AP in the morning and see what they can do about it. I don't like their solution of going with a 63-67 shifter handle which they said is I believe is 2 inches shorter because then it will be too low. Can't really provide much more feedback because I can't put some miles on the car but hopefully tomorrow will be able to do so. They replaced the AP clutch with a McLeod which feels real good and pretty close to the original. Haven't even had the damn thing on the highway yet but assuming the get the tweaks done tomorrow I will definitely have some more feedback for you guys.
look forward to hearing .
Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billysvette
look forward to hearing .
Was just speaking to a fellow c3 friend down here and talking about how we are all masochists I think I realized that getting stressed out about my car keeps me from getting stressed out from other crap. I will post an update as soon as I hopefully put those miles on tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Was just speaking to a fellow c3 friend down here and talking about how we are all masochists I think I realized that getting stressed out about my car keeps me from getting stressed out from other crap. I will post an update as soon as I hopefully put those miles on tomorrow.
I have just about everything unbolted and will pull engine and trans maybe friday or saturday.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:04 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Ok - picked up my car just now and drove it around 4 miles home (have to bring it back in the morning for some tweaking) but wanted to share my initial thoughts. Shifting is definitely something to get used to but I am sure that won't be a problem after a while. Going from 2nd to 3rd will either go to 5th by accident or you hit a wall unless you shift with the palm of your hand. I am sure after 30 or 40 shifts it will become a more natural shift (hopefully). The shifter is definitely higher and needs to be dealt with. AP told me that the top of the ball should be 6" tall from the console plate as measured on a very original '69. Mine is now 7.5" tall. Going to call AP in the morning and see what they can do about it. I don't like their solution of going with a 63-67 shifter handle which they said is I believe is 2 inches shorter because then it will be too low. Can't really provide much more feedback because I can't put some miles on the car but hopefully tomorrow will be able to do so. They replaced the AP clutch with a McLeod which feels real good and pretty close to the original. Haven't even had the damn thing on the highway yet but assuming the get the tweaks done tomorrow I will definitely have some more feedback for you guys.
How did the clutch felt like in terms of leg effort?, more than average? less than average? do you know the part no. of the mcleod clucth kit that you got?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:12 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Pouring rain here and don't know if it will stop today to get her out. Will give an update when the rain stops and I can drive more.
Hamad- clutch leg effort is maybe slightly more than the original but not bad at all.
Here is a pic of the shift plate that I am not crazy about. The original one is raised and much clearer.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 PM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

to compare
Kiesler

Richmond

Hurst

Last edited by C6Matt; 05-24-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:34 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Sun came out here for a bit so I got to take her out. Have to say that the most frustrating thing about the transmission is going from 5th to 4th. It definitely isn't a natural shift motion and hit reverse once which wasn't too pleasant. The 2nd to 3rd is also not a natural motion but easier to get used to - hit a wall maybe twice out of 15 or 20 shifts to 3rd. I went from a dead stop maybe around 15 times and once or twice started out in 3rd for a second because 1st is really over to the left a bit - don't see this as a problem as it will be easy to get use to. All in all, the most bothersome thing is definitely 5th to 4th and although I am sure we will all get use to the motion, the fear of hearing the grind to reverse is a bit nerve racking and going to be on my mind every time I downshift to 4th.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Sun came out here for a bit so I got to take her out. Have to say that the most frustrating thing about the transmission is going from 5th to 4th. It definitely isn't a natural shift motion and hit reverse once which wasn't too pleasant. The 2nd to 3rd is also not a natural motion but easier to get used to - hit a wall maybe twice out of 15 or 20 shifts to 3rd. I went from a dead stop maybe around 15 times and once or twice started out in 3rd for a second because 1st is really over to the left a bit - don't see this as a problem as it will be easy to get use to. All in all, the most bothersome thing is definitely 5th to 4th and although I am sure we will all get use to the motion, the fear of hearing the grind to reverse is a bit nerve racking and going to be on my mind every time I downshift to 4th.
I heard about a plate that can be made to solve these problems,has anybody heard of this and know about it?
Old 05-25-2012, 02:36 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Just an update on the shift handle for you guys. Daniel at AP is shipping me a 63-67 handle which he said is 1.5 inches shorter and sounds like the perfect fit. Thought he told me 2.5 inches before and I told him that would be too low. Anyway, they charge your credit card around $80 and credit back when you send the other shifter back. Not too pleased with them charging me for their mistake even if they credit me back but at least it looks like they can get us the correct size shifter. Will let you all know.

Billy- I would love to hear too about anyone's experience with that plate solution and what is involved with installation.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:40 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

AP posted up on Facebook a picture of about 100 transmissions in stock. (ok maybe not that many, but it looks like they have more then 20 lol)Hopefully the rest of you guys get yours soon.

I was promised a call back on Monday about my parts return. It's now Friday and I have heard nothing. I guess I'll have to call them again.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:53 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by qwank
AP posted up on Facebook a picture of about 100 transmissions in stock. (ok maybe not that many, but it looks like they have more then 20 lol)Hopefully the rest of you guys get yours soon.

I was promised a call back on Monday about my parts return. It's now Friday and I have heard nothing. I guess I'll have to call them again.
No word on my clutch kit return either. Tried to call Josh twice today and no call back.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:09 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

No call back here either.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:15 PM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

finally! (still missing my shift pattern plate and driveshaft)

Old 05-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

c6matt is that a 500 or a 600 tko ? your shifter box looks different then mine.the small box that your shifter bolts to. and also congraduations
Old 05-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Frogday
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks a lot different than mine too - all my cover plates are unfinished and no AP sticker on top. I'm at 400 miles with no issues so far.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:55 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Looks nice... congrats!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:37 AM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

its a .64 TKO600, not shure how your shifter box is diffrent, anyone got a pic???

Get notified of new replies

To American Powertrain transmission group buy

Old 05-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6Matt
its a .64 TKO600, not shure how your shifter box is diffrent, anyone got a pic???
Your shifter stub that comes out of box is chrome ,mine is black. i knew something was different other then that it looks the same. did you get the shorter shift lever? And is your shift lever ball black or chrome? I got black with mine,i didnt ask for it.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:12 AM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Billysvette
Your shifter stub that comes out of box is chrome ,mine is black. i knew something was different other then that it looks the same. did you get the shorter shift lever? And is your shift lever ball black or chrome? I got black with mine,i didnt ask for it.
I got the short chrome because my kit is for a C2...

you guys made me nervous.. i took more pics.. .

Old 05-27-2012, 01:26 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Just wanted to give another update to you guys. Had the car out today and was cruising on the highway and have to say that although I was nervous about 5th to 4th, I think I have it down pat now. Think it is just a matter of getting enough shifts under your belt and then no problem. 2nd to 3rd didn't have one problem either. Was real nice to be running 2200 rpms at 70mph and be able to cruise at even higher speeds with no problem.

Quick Reply: American Powertrain transmission group buy