Sponsored by:

Stingray emblem stinker

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Sebastian
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stingray emblem stinker

I repainted my 75 vert. Replacing all the trim I removed (door handles, key locks, mirrors - everything). The "Stingray" emblem on both sides of the fenders had a sticker/gasket. Those came apart when removing from the car, but the emblems are fine. I can't find the sticker alone anywhere (Corvette America, Davies Corvettes, ??). Seems really pointless to buy new emblems just because of the sticker - anyone know where I can get that or what I can use as a very good substitue (fresh paint - don't want a hack job).

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:51 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

double stick tape, 3M
Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 PM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the very same thing with my 76. I reused the emblems and for the side ones I went under the hood and covered the pins from the emblem with silicone. I also put a couple of light dabs of glue on the back of the emblems.Hopefully this will help and also save you some money.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,136 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I had basically the same problem, prefect emblems, no tape.
I tried several options but with little success. It needs to be a faom tape to take the shape and cutting the foam tape is almost impossible with X-acto knives (brand new blade only lasts a little about a 1/4 inch or so before they start to tear the foam)

Finally came up with this
Found some thin, black 3M double sided foam tape online.
Cleaned the emblems and stuck the tape to the back with a small hole around the posts.
Here's the tricky part, I used some nichrome wire, (the stuff used for cutting foam, if you have a hobby store nearby they use it for cutting foam on RC planes etc.)
Hook it to a power supply (battery charger) and when it heats up (seconds) it goes through the foam tape and seals the edge, simply follow the contour of the stingray emblem around keeping it touching the emblem so it trims the foam tape nice and flush.
Poke it through the center of the g and the a and follow them around.
The end result is almost as good as the die-cut version and unless your looking at being judged, I'd say virtually indistinguishable. Once you get the hang of it you can trace the script in a few minutes.

Or buy the re-pop's for $45 each and save the work
Mooser
Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 PM
bluthundr
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

I used small speed nuts from Napa instead of tape - worked fine
Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Clever solution from Mooser. I did it the hard way with an X-acto knife on tape after tracing out the outline. Much messier, but it got the job done (eventually). I didn't want to put the logo on without something between the metal and the paint....cause I knew what it would look like underneath, the next time I had to remove the emblem.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Sebastian
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys - I'm going to take a look at the tape, but reconsidering.

Spent so much on paint, $90 for new emblems with a perfect install and finish doesn't seem unreasonable. Looks like some other trim peices should be replaced too (arghh.)
Old 03-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

a tiny amount of 3M trim cement and let cure on the emblem until tacky .....stick it on and forget about it....that stuff is almost bullet proof.....works great on valve cover gaskets too.......:thumbs

Get notified of new replies

To Stingray emblem stinker

Quick Reply: Stingray emblem stinker