Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by markids77
Definitely head over to Lowe's and check out their roll cabs. For the dollar I have not found any better! He won't need a "quality" upgrade for some time, plus they're built to be expandable.

I saw one a few years ago at Lowes that had a little refrigerator and a stereo built into it.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:08 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Idea is to get him a complete set that he can keep for a lifetime. Not nessessarily just "good enough". I still have the Mac Cabinet my Dad gave me 30 some years ago, it still looks and works great. Kennedy cabinets are good quality, I may look into them. Red will be the color. I have not been to Lowes, not sure of the brands they carry. My problem with Lowes is, if you are trying to find something, you just can't find anyone to help. I would rather go to my local Ace Hardware store. lol. Anyway, I am not sure how to keep this quiet from my Son. He, generally checks in the UPS packages after school. I would really have to keep an eye on the incoming packages. Al
Old 04-18-2012, 10:31 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Good luck finding quality tools and storage within your projected budget. I hope you are able to provide the lad with a good starter set and basic roll cab for your stated budget. I don't think you're going to be able to approach the "complete" description you want for him in today's market for top grade stuff although I wish you the best in your endeavor. If you are willing to gift used sets, and have time to shop you might do quite well yet. Purchase carefully, and good shopping!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:35 PM
CorvetteFirstTimer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since, I just turned 18, today, and have recieved some tools today, and I have been buying my own, I would go with this motto:

Hand tools: Buy Craftsman (Free replacement if broken and relatively cheap)
Specialty hand tools: Buy quality (They are usually more expensive and probably not covered by Craftsman)
Air Tools/Power tools: Buy Quality (Usually these are tools that when you need them, YOU NEED THEM. You don't want to fumble around with the little problems a cheap tool can give you, such as Craftsman)

Good luck in your findings!

Last edited by CorvetteFirstTimer; 04-18-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:44 PM
CorvetteFirstTimer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, just so you know, and I know you wouldn't do this for your kid, but a friend of mine just bought a whole tool shop for his house. It was built in his 4 car garage. He has more money than he knows what to do with, so he doesn't care, but he spend over 15 grand stocking this entire tool shop with Snap-On Tools.

Crazy, I know.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lowe's gives veterans a 10% discount, at least they did last time I went not long ago.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:11 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Another vote for Craftsman.

Snap On tools are better, but but good luck getting one replaced in the middle of a job.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

I love snap-on. I started with craftsman and buy used snap-on whenever I can. Over the years I have a pretty complete set. Start him out with a good set of craftsman, and pick up some quality snap-on over ebay if you can for the common stuff, maybe a ratchet here, set of wrenches there. If he sticks with working on stuff he will decide if he wants to continue upgrading or is satisfied with craftsman. Even if you get duplicates or matco, etc. you can resell pretty easy and buy missing pieces to fill in what he needs. Nothing like a nice snapon ratchet or wrench when you do a lot of work...
Old 04-19-2012, 08:18 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I have been wrenching for better than 35 years using Craftsman tools. Not saying they're the Caddy of tools, but they do work. I have quite a few tools, but even now I still find I need something I just don't have to take a bolt out, or whatever I'm doing. Bottom line, no tool set is ever complete. The big sets you see for sale are loaded with gizmo's you never need, so why spend the coin?

The other consideration I would ask is your son showing signs he is really into cars? That for me would determine how much to spend on the tools. When my daughter showed interest in guitars I bought a cheap one for her to learn on. She has since bought several much nicer ones and is pretty good now. I would have not been too happy spending $1200 on a first guitar, and having it sit in the closet.....
Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 AM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

We work on boats for a living. Cars / trucks are the hobby. I will be planning on buying a 1/4 drive set, short and tall, metric and sae, as well as 3/8 set, deep / impact metric and sae. We seldom ever use 1/2 drive. Complet wrench set both metric and sae up to1/4"- 1" 6-20. Basic screw driver sets, as well as plier sets. This will be a basic set up for him to start out with, but a quality set that will serve for many years. The specialty sockets which we seldom use can be bought at a latter time. I might pick up a 3/8 impact if money allows. We generally use indersal rand, great success. Oh, I probably should get some 3/8 drive hex sockets and maybe some punches. Al
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by alswagg
I have a limit set in my mind of approximatly $3,500.00...............
well thats an extraordinarly nice gift and you are very generous. sounds like hes a good kid. i also love buying my kids tools so i know the pleasure it brings. enjoy

Quick Reply: Complete tool set for Graduation