Sponsored by:

Complete tool set for Graduation

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:01 AM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Complete tool set for Graduation

My Son is graduating High school this spring. I am looking to buy a very good high quality complete tool set for him. Just as my father did for me. I still have the Mac upper and lower cabinet as well as the full set of tools. I believe this will be a life long item he will keep. My question is which tools do you prefer? Mac, Matco, Snap On, or S&K??? I have over the years accuired all differant brands. I would have to say, I like the Mac Sockets, the Matco screwdrivers and the Snap on ratchets. I have a full set of the S&K punches but are rarely used. Any thoughts???? Al
Old 04-18-2012, 10:14 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I prefer Snapon mostly because of the feel, ease of cleaning and especially their warranty.
I just had a ratchet rebuilt last week on their truck that I've had since the early 70s, at least the 30th time. I use cheater pipes a lot.
Decent prices on craigslist and/or ebay. Too expensive new.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have had all kinds from MAC , Snap-On , but Sears Craftsman is still a decent tool, I just had a ratchet that my dad gave me in the 70's -rebuilt no charge . Ron
Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Snap On are very nice but expensive. I also have some very nice Craftsman tools. I spend for Snap On quality on critical tools like line wrenches. The "geared" combination wrenches are very useful.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Ron Rail
...Sears Craftsman is still a decent tool...

Crafftsman has a life time guarantee - no questions asked.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I have to offer that I still buy Crapsman hand tools.

I don't buy ANY of their other stuff...drills, saws, sanders, or anything. Used to, but DeWalt and Ridgid are just far too superior and available.

If I were buying a complete tool set for my boy, I would set a price limit and get as much as I possibly could at Sears. I have the same perspective on their tools as I have on stuff I get from Harbor Freight...if I use it enough to break it, then I SHOULD buy a more expensive version. I'd rather have that silly looking open-end thingy that attaches to a ratchet extension AVAILABLE to me in a Craftsman set than have a much smaller set of a nicer 'regular' ratchet.

Two things:

First, the set of tools I currently store in my Corvette (along with spare hose clamps and belts) is the more-or-less complete basic (ratchet, combinations, and screwdrivers) set my Dad purchased me when I was 15.

Second, if your boy is going off to College, remember that portability will mean something. A 30 drawer rolling cabinet won't do him a lot of good in a 2nd story apartment. Just something to think about. This coming from someone who built his first car (a '78 Civic) when he was 14 and drove it through College. Got to where I could replace the clutch in ~4 hours with 1 ratchet, 3 sockets, 1 extension, and 2 screwdrivers. Give him the cabinet when he graduates from the OTHER school.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:45 AM
markids77
Melting Slicks

I like Snap-On but I bought most of mine when I still spun wrenches for a living... I would not want to be starting from scratch at today's prices. Replacing the roll cab I bought in 1976 would cost nearly as much today as I have in all my Snappy tools combined.

I HATE Craftsman wrenches and sockets with a passion... I have ruined more fasteners using that 12 point garbage when forced to that I only remove those I own from the box if I need to twist, bend or grind a "special" use one time tool. Their screwdrivers, chisels and drill bits are OK though.

Until recently when production moved to China, I found Kobalt branded stuff acceptable for hobby use... I don't know if the quality stayed reasonable with the venue change.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Talk to a Snap-on dealer, They usually have a program that lets kids going into college buy a complete basic tool set with a roll cab for around 65% off.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

I use Craftsman hand tools, but also have a few Snapon items. The Craftsman tools were my dad's and are the bulk of what I use. 30+ years after he passed away they still hold up time and time again. That says a lot to me.

Adam
Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a pretty good mix of higher name tools, with plenty being Craftsman. Keep in mind, there's no such thing as a complete tool set, as I have lot's, and buying more specialty tools all the time. Think your biggest problem, is older cars were all SAE, with newer cars being all Metric, and late 70's earlier 80's cars being a mix of the two. Maybe get your son started on a pretty nice set, and include a gift certificate to a tool company.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

In college this is what I started with... or at least something similar:

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...1023x272xTier3

craftsman mechanics tool set. I have added more and more over the years and most of it has been craftsman. If i break it, I take it back and they give me a new one right there on the spot. Snap-on and such are super nice and I love them but for me and home use I get craftsman.

hth,

Sully
Old 04-18-2012, 03:47 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

mac, matco, S&K, snap on.......those are big dollar tools i think people should work up to those and earn them.....craftsman is hard to beat and I gave my boys complete Harbor Freight stuff...i figured i would set them up and if they like the hobby aspect they can upgrade on their own...just like dad did......losing inexpensive stuff is bad enough losing expensive stuff would be intolerable.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:53 PM
75vetteman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lucky him... one year for christmas i got several rolls of duct tape
i say give them the cheap stuff. let them buy the expensive stuff themselves if they really want it.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

If he is a wrench, I'd do a small Snap-On set.
I love mine; I inherited them from my older brother who passed on at 44 in Aug '96 from cancer.
If he is just starting out, a Craftsman set is a great way to go.
It ain't the end of the world if they get lost or stolen, or if he is not really interested.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:27 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I'd love to have a Snap-on set myself but like others said the cost just doesn't make sense when there are alternatives that also support a lifetime warranty.

I personally like Craftsman because of the accessibility to replacements if needed. I'm not sure about the others but I know if I break a tool on Sunday, I can go to Sears on that same Sunday and get another one.
Just my personal preference!

Terry
Old 04-18-2012, 06:27 PM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

dollar 4 dollar Craftsman hands down.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:57 PM
ehinch19
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sully1882
In college this is what I started with... or at least something similar:

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...1023x272xTier3

hth,

Sully
That’s not too bad of a set for most normal jobs I just put on and removed a 4 inch lift kit on my jeep with hand tools similar ... then again the impact wrench and air ratchet did help a tad. lol

Get notified of new replies

To Complete tool set for Graduation

Old 04-18-2012, 07:59 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

I have a limit set in my mind of approximatly $3,500.00 This of coarse would include an upper and lower cabinet. He already knows the differance between professional tools and well Not professional. I find him grabbing the Mac and Matco wrenches much more often than the Craftsman. There is a differance, and he knows it. I will be looking more at Mac for wrenches and socket sets. The cabinet will be a roll cabinet. Now these items will stay in the shop untill he is out of the Navy or based perminatly. I did not know about the discount Snap On gives, I will check this out, possibly a discount for Military enlistmants also. Like I said originally, my Dad set me up with a complete Mac tool cabinet, I want to do the same. Al
Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
......losing inexpensive stuff is bad enough losing expensive stuff would be intolerable.
Your son is a lucky fellow if you can set him up with such quality, early on. I had to play the heavy with my son to suggest that losing the good stuff couldn't be subsidized. If he lost it, he replaced with a like-quality piece.

Chances are, your son already knows the difference. Eventually, mine did too.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Definitely head over to Lowe's and check out their roll cabs. For the dollar I have not found any better! He won't need a "quality" upgrade for some time, plus they're built to be expandable.

Quick Reply: Complete tool set for Graduation