Sponsored by:

The final decision!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 PM
TaylorB44
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The final decision!

A few months ago I posted a thread asking for pictures of paint because I am repainting my '73 coupe. It was extremely helpful and I have come down to two choices and I simply cannot decide. It is between silver with a black Baldwin-motion stripe or silver with the red Baldwin-motion stripe. Which would you prefer? Also I have never been able to find a picture of the red, and my Photoshop skills are atrocious so its just an image in my head. (all black interior btw) let the choosing begin!

Last edited by TaylorB44; 04-19-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:08 PM
TaylorB44
Advanced

Also, for anyone looking for ideas on paint, this is a link to my previous thread with tons of pictures of amazing paintnjobs

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...our-paint.html
Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 PM
TaylorB44
Advanced

And not to be awkward and holding a conversation with myself here, hahaha, but if I were to fill the crack where the front bumper attaches to the front of the car so that the body looks seamless up there, what happens if someone were to lean on it? Would the paint crack or make a seam because it's a separate piece? Has anyone done this? Thank you for your thoughts!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylorB44
And not to be awkward and holding a conversation with myself here, hahaha, but if I were to fill the crack where the front bumper attaches to the front of the car so that the body looks seamless up there, what happens if someone were to lean on it? Would the paint crack or make a seam because it's a separate piece? Has anyone done this? Thank you for your thoughts!
You will need to get a fiberglass front bumper cover to make it seamless. The stock urethane cover will flex and warp over time causing your fiberglass fill work to crack. Also, don't just fill the seam. You'll need to do some real bodywork there meaning grinding down the bumper cover and body - fiberglass it in - then body filler etc.

As far as the paint, I like silver and black together. If you really want it to say "look at me" go with the red.

Good luck with your project!
Adam
Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Theoretically, you should be able to successfully graft in the front nose piece (a fiberglass one) and people do it and it looks good. But it seems like eventually all the ones I've seen crack at the seam. But that can take years (or a split second if you 'tap' into someone or something). So, in the short run you'll likely be ok if you spend the time to do it 'right', but in the long run it's a crap shoot and you can plan to re-doing the paint at some point. And if you tap into something it'll be a matter of possibly repainting the whole front surround vs just the bumper cover. But you may not even own the car by that time anyway.

Personally, I've never seen the need to have a seamless front nose piece. I guess it looks ok, but it's not a game-changer to me. Better to spend the time to get a really nice fit. If you do it and grind and glass it in right, remember you'll be damaging the upper surround in order to bevel it down to do the blend. If at some point in the future you want to go back it'll mean most likely replacing the front surround, or at the minimum, redoing the front seam (which would be a PITA). But it all comes down to personal tastes and it can look good if that's what you like.

Last edited by Mark G; 04-19-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:36 PM
TaylorB44
Advanced

Fiberglass front bumper cover? I was just thinking sanding down filling in en filling over it. But then again this is my first project and I definitely don't need to be taking my own advice! Thank you!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 PM
TaylorB44
Advanced

That just made my decision on the nose for sure. Thanks mark! I think it looks great but it sounds like more trouble than I'm looking for.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:29 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some of the metallic grays look very interesting. A color contrast between the paint and all of the chrome parts is a good idea. Good luck with your decision. Im going through the same process on a C2 resto-build.

It's funny, when I built my house, I couldnt understand why my wife would waste so much time figuring out color schemes, flooring and furnishings. Ive spent more time trying to decide which big brake kit should go on the car, lol.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TaylorB44
Fiberglass front bumper cover? I was just thinking sanding down filling in en filling over it. But then again this is my first project and I definitely don't need to be taking my own advice! Thank you!

You don't want to glass over the stock eurethane cover , you will have a huge mess on your hands , stock cover warps and cracks like nobody's business , you'd have to change the nose to fiberglass then fill the seam.

Either way , silver and black attack is the way to go

Enjoy
Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Taylor, why don't you add in a poll. That way if more people chime in, you can take a quick glance at the poll. But my vote is for the black stripe.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Silver with a black stripe for me too.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:35 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Silver and Blk
Old 04-19-2012, 11:46 PM
TaylorB44
Advanced

I'm not really sure how to add a poll, and really I enjoy reading everyones comments I will read up on how to add a poll and see what I can come up with. sounds like black and silver for the moment!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Trust me, every time there is a poll...Everyone still comments lol.

But I believe you would have to go to your original thread hit edit...scroll down there should be a box that says add poll to this thread.

But it might be too late, it might have to be done when the thread is first started.

I'm Going to vote again!

Silver and Black, since you have all black interior, plus those are my 2 favorite colors. If you had some red in your car I might say red...but as it is....GO BLACK!

Get notified of new replies

To The final decision!

Quick Reply: The final decision!