Sponsored by:

73s

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:01 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Im not sure what NM means... I thought you meant numbers matching, but then you asked how to check, so I dunno.

As said, check the VIN derivative on the passenger side head pad (front) and make sure it matches the VIN on the windshield post and the title.

I've had a couple '73, loved them. I think its one of those years where people either liked them a lot or they didn't, but I've never seen a problem in reselling them. My custom from 1981:

The seller claims it's a numbers matching car. I just want to check that for myself. Buyer beware you know. The seller was out of town for the long weekend. I am looking forward to seeing it soon. It's not too far from me. I do like the look of the 73 as I like the rear chrome bumper but the newer style front is also my preferred style. I can't believe a 454 has that much less horse power than my C5 or pick up. I had a 95 truck with a 454 that felt strong but had an even lower HP number. It was throttle body though and had a lot of torque. It sucked for towing though as it got horrible fuel mileage and ran hot when towing. My trailer is near it's rated towing weight so I think that's why. It got OK mileage empty. I just like the C3 more than any other Vette as that's what was out when I was younger. You have a beautiful car there. This one has rally wheels from what I was told.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
...The seller claims it's a numbers matching car. I just want to check that for myself...
Take someone with you who knows these cars.

Good luck.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

The seller claims it's a numbers matching car. I just want to check that for myself. Buyer beware you know. The seller was out of town for the long weekend. I am looking forward to seeing it soon. It's not too far from me. I do like the look of the 73 as I like the rear chrome bumper but the newer style front is also my preferred style. I can't believe a 454 has that much less horse power than my C5 or pick up. I had a 95 truck with a 454 that felt strong but had an even lower HP number. It was throttle body though and had a lot of torque. It sucked for towing though as it got horrible fuel mileage and ran hot when towing. My trailer is near it's rated towing weight so I think that's why. It got OK mileage empty. I just like the C3 more than any other Vette as that's what was out when I was younger. You have a beautiful car there. This one has rally wheels from what I was told.
OK, so "NM" meant "numbers matching?" Got it. As Mike says, have someone who has a little bit of experience check the numbers for you and yes, never, ever trust the seller regarding numbers.

Your C5 should run circles around the '73, sorry.

I did love the car, but I sold it in 1982. Interestingly, because I was hooked on the "new" 80-82 body style that you also mentioned in your OP. Must be a normal progression. Good luck on your purchase.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 PM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not seen the car yet. A friend who knows the owner told me about it. It is supposed to be a blue green with saddle interior. NM 454 275 HP 4 Speed. Original wheels and radio. AC not working but there. Driver quality paint. I will look at it in the next few days. Any tips on what to look for? how do I check for bird cage rust? How do I make sure the numbers match? Hes asking about $18,000. Is that a fair price with 78,000 miles?
My brother-in-law in SC has a '73 that he is trying to sell. It was originally green with a black interior. It is now red w/black interior. New paint, three months old. He went over the car initially and fixed all that needed attention mechanically. He has his own shop and does repair work for a local dealership. It has a 454 with an automatic transmission. I've driven it. It's a blast. New carpet and other interior pieces. It's a t-top car with stock wheels for that year. Seems like it has the small rally wheel center caps. Smaller than my '75. He's asking much less than $18K. The car has been completely gone over and is almost turn-key ready.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
OK, so "NM" meant "numbers matching?" Got it.
Oh no- now we have a newly minted little known acronym for the meaningless vague term 'numbers matching'. Anybody else see the irony?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:32 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Well I saw the car today and it's over described. Not worth the money. So the search continues. Good thing I just want it and don't need it. I will wait until I find the right C3 for my tastes. In the mean time I have my C5. But 2 Vettes must be better than 1. Someday I will find out. Thanks for all the input. It will be helpful as I continue my search.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

... But 2 Vettes must be better than 1. Someday I will find out.
Hard to beat two, or more, Vettes in one garage

Old 05-31-2012, 02:12 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You won't have any problem selling a '73. You just won't be able to get '68-72 money for it. So, don't spend '68-72 money when you buy it.

Quick Reply: 73s