Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Shine Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 02:25 PM
'Bochawa72
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the test StingRay. Keep at em, you can't win everyone over. I found some stuff in my dads garage and while my test was nowhere near as thorough here's what I found.

This was only with three different Meguiars products. My dad had the Meguiars foam, and a Meguiars Hot Shine liquid spray and I also used my go-to, Meguiars vinyl and rubber cleaner and conditioner same as gq. I used my 72 and also a SL55 AMG and a Porsche Boxster for comparison. I was pleased with all of them. They all give different results depending on what you are looking for. The biggest difference was a more natural look with the vinyl rubber cleaner as shown in go's picture. The foam was wet looking and the hot shine was the wettest. I did like the way the spray foam cleaned up my white letters though. I was really impressed with the nozzle on the hot shine. It was adjustable from wide to narrow and really aimed well without overspraying on the the rims of the AMG. And a quick coat was all it took and there was NO spinoff onto the car after a test-drive. I did give the tires a rinse after the foam and I think that's the key.

If you use the gel(I've used it in the past) I'd take a paper towel and wipe of excess before driving. Spin-off is terrible with that stuff but it looks good on the tires once it stops flying onto your car. And I'd say it' even wetter looking than the hot shine. Just my two cents, keep up the good work!
Old 06-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gq82
I use Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner....it gives a natural look to my tires.

I really like the way this looks.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:08 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Francis great article, very informative. I however have never been a fan of shiny tires, I'll use an SOS pad to clean dust/road grime off of the lettering and then soap and water on the remainder of the tire. An old towel to dry them and I'm good to go.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:44 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Trae1976
Sorry, I have to disagree with you on this one. I used about 3/4 of one of their sample pouches, like the ones they donate for car show goody bags. I have 27" tires and 16" wheels, certainly not "low profile", so I had plenty of surface area to cover. I spread it out pretty thin to get full coverage, just like I do with other products.

An automotive product that may not be designed for sun exposure? Really?
And if that was the case, wouldn't that have just caused any excess to run off before I drove it anyway?

I will say this ... it did look good after I washed the car again. But unfortunately, it was also the reason I washed the car again.

I've used other Meguiar's products with good results, so this one was a disappointment. I'm glad it works for you, but it won't touch my car again.
No harm done. I really had no idea what to tell you about the sling. I was just throwing out ides. I am glad you have found products that work for you.

I don't know about anybody else, but I find that choosing products is almost as hard as choosing the car itself. Everyone wants the look they think is the best and without break down comparisons of products its doesn't really help with decisions. Someone saying, "I use this with great results" is not the most informative. But it does help with some direction. It helps limit the pool down.

Just trying to help those who are in the same place as I a few years back.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Just trying to help those who are in the same place as I a few years back.
My apologies if I come off as confrontational, as that certainly wasn't my intent. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Considering the differences in our experiences, I just felt I would be dis-servicing the forum if I didn't share as well.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:53 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Trae1976
My apologies if I come off as confrontational, as that certainly wasn't my intent. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Considering the differences in our experiences, I just felt I would be dis-servicing the forum if I didn't share as well.
Thank you. But you did not make me feel threatened. This is what the forum is for, debate and discussion. I hope everyone is ok with sharing their opinions and experience.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 147 Posts

I sure wish I had everything done on my car so that I could worry about how black my tires look. Sheesh, you guys are too much. Reminds me of the NCRS board where some bored old rich guys distress over such inane things as finding NOS valve stem caps or NOS air cleaner elements.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 AM
Dracule
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me on my C3, I use Wesleys Bleach White, scrub a little with a palm sized nylon brush, power wash and let dry. Once dry, I spray with Store brand Advanced Auto tire shine in their red can. I let it set as long as possible, like overnight and then power wash again to remove excess. This gives me a 'new tire' appearance with none of the 'too shinny look' It' looks pretty good as just a 'new tire look' Mine are BFGoodrich TA's 245-255's

Quick Reply: Tire Shine Comparison