Steering Column Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Steering Column Question

I have a 1973 Corvette, that has the standard steering column, and I would like to change it to a tilt/tele column. I have one from a 1975 coupe in which all the functions work.
Are all the wire connections the same between the two?
Also, is there any difference in the steering wheels? The standard column has a much nicer wheel.
I know the mounting points are identical, just wondering about the columns/steering wheels. Im hoping it is a direct swap
Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:21 AM
AF_Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Looking up Jim Shea, he has a lot of knowledge on this subject.

also

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/
Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The 1975 column will bolt right into your 1973. There should not be any problems. The 1973 steering wheel should bolt onto the 1975 column hardware as well. (I assume that you did obtain the hub, extension, horn, and telescope lock with the T&T column.

When you go from a standard (non-adjustable) steering column to a T&T you will need to "twist" the two vehicle wiring harness ignition switch connectors to make them snap into the T&T switch on top of the steering column jacket. (Standard ignition switches operate in the opposite direction from the T&T ignition switches.)

I think that you will really enjoy the T&T column.
Jim
Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Also, is there any difference in the steering wheels? The standard column has a much nicer wheel.
All 69-75 Corvettes used the same steering wheel.

Does the tilt you have, have a wheel on it, and if so, what does it look like? If it's a 4 spoke molded plastic wheel, or a leather wrapped wheel, you may not have a 75 column.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

thanks guys for the responses. This forum always helps me out. I was 95% sure they were the same, but just wanted to be sure. The 75 column's wheel has the hard plastic chipping in places, thats why I want one wheel over the other
Thanks guys!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:06 PM
rehirsch8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
The 1975 column will bolt right into your 1973. There should not be any problems. The 1973 steering wheel should bolt onto the 1975 column hardware as well. (I assume that you did obtain the hub, extension, horn, and telescope lock with the T&T column.

When you go from a standard (non-adjustable) steering column to a T&T you will need to "twist" the two vehicle wiring harness ignition switch connectors to make them snap into the T&T switch on top of the steering column jacket. (Standard ignition switches operate in the opposite direction from the T&T ignition switches.)

I think that you will really enjoy the T&T column.
Jim
This is very helpful, I am making the same swap.

The rebuilt T&T column I bought looks like the diagrams and pictures but the lower column housing rotates and moves the key lock lever in the engine compartment (like an automatic car with a shift lever on the column would work). Is this normal for a T&T column? I'm putting in a five speed transmission that won't use the transmission lock so I am just planning to leave it in the up position.

Thanks!!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:32 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Rehirsch8,
1969 was the first year for the function locking, energy absorbing, steering column on all General Motors passenger cars. On the Corvette, all transmissions were floor shifts. So typically, there was no need for a Corvette steering column to have a die cast shift bowl (that part of the steering column that normally held the transmission shift lever.)

So obviously, the Corvette did not have a column shift lever. However, all General Motors passenger cars starting in 1969 had a backdrive system that connected the transmission to the steering column. It was called the General Motors Transmission Shift/Steering Column Interlock System. So when you shifted into PARK with your automatic transmission, or into REVERSE with your manual transmission, a cable was activated that moved a lever on the lower end of the steering column and the bowl rotated to that you could lock your steering column. So even the Corvette had to have a steering column with a die cast bowl, even without a shift lever attached.

That first (1969) model year you could actually see the bowl rotate when you shifted your transmission into PARK or REVERSE. This caused Chevrolet to actually apply a sticker to the 1969 Corvette steering columns, (right on the bowl) that stated:

"As part of the new locking steering column feature it is normal for the mast jacket shift bowl to rotate when shifting the transmission. However, DO NOT attempt to rotate the shift bowl by itself as damage to the shift linkage will result."

In 1970 the Corvette steering column featured a stationary plastic shroud that covered the bowl so you did not see it rotate.

So you must have a 1969 Corvette T&T steering column. Since you will not be attaching the backdrive cable you will just need to secure the lever on the lower end of the steering column in the full UP position.
Jim
Old 03-10-2013, 10:53 AM
rehirsch8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Rehirsch8,
1969 was the first year for the function locking, energy absorbing, steering column on all General Motors passenger cars. On the Corvette, all transmissions were floor shifts. So typically, there was no need for a Corvette steering column to have a die cast shift bowl (that part of the steering column that normally held the transmission shift lever.)

So obviously, the Corvette did not have a column shift lever. However, all General Motors passenger cars starting in 1969 had a backdrive system that connected the transmission to the steering column. It was called the General Motors Transmission Shift/Steering Column Interlock System. So when you shifted into PARK with your automatic transmission, or into REVERSE with your manual transmission, a cable was activated that moved a lever on the lower end of the steering column and the bowl rotated to that you could lock your steering column. So even the Corvette had to have a steering column with a die cast bowl, even without a shift lever attached.

That first (1969) model year you could actually see the bowl rotate when you shifted your transmission into PARK or REVERSE. This caused Chevrolet to actually apply a sticker to the 1969 Corvette steering columns, (right on the bowl) that stated:

"As part of the new locking steering column feature it is normal for the mast jacket shift bowl to rotate when shifting the transmission. However, DO NOT attempt to rotate the shift bowl by itself as damage to the shift linkage will result."

In 1970 the Corvette steering column featured a stationary plastic shroud that covered the bowl so you did not see it rotate.

So you must have a 1969 Corvette T&T steering column. Since you will not be attaching the backdrive cable you will just need to secure the lever on the lower end of the steering column in the full UP position.
Jim
Very helpful, thank you!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column Question

Quick Reply: Steering Column Question