Sponsored by:

Totally offtopic - Ferrari Testarossa

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM
PaPaPork
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brent319
We had dyno days here in town. I have never seen a ferrari in iowa coty before. A guy was there with his F40. I have always lusted afte those cars and could not believe I was standing next to one, I was talking to the owner when the dyno guy said they could not run it because it was too low to strap down. He paused and said " I'll go get my testarossa. Sure enough he came back with a 512.
He ran it on the dyno. I think he hit 140 in second gear if I remember right. I was standing beside the drivers door when he did the run. He laughed and said Ferrari owners have a joke that they can break any speed limit in the u s in first gear. Don't know if that is still true since they raised them some since then.
We were looking at the engine.. Which is pure car ****.. And the dyno guy asked him now big the engine was.. Oddly enough he did not know. I told him it was a five liter. He said really? I told him 5 Liters, 12 cylinders, testarossa.. 512 TR. he laughed.
Anyway I had read that the cam belts needed changing fairly often in the testarossa and it was a major expense since they are up against the firewall and you have to tear the car down to do it. I asked him about it and he said there is a guy in Chicago that will do it for five grand. Ouch. I guess that is cheap.
Great car though.
Btw the Daytona they used on Miami vice was a 1980 vette. Or so it is claimed.

I like your story, pictures don't give these cars justice
Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 PM
PaPaPork
Racer

Originally Posted by Texas Stinger
Some people just don't think like that.

With this car you'd basically have to have the know how or be ready to drop some major bucks just to pull the engine.

The flood history hurts the value, so having a well done drivetrain swap may actually help. Go with an LSx swap.

Here's one done in a 360
very nicely done ! this is a V8 to V8 swap

flat12 to V8 I can't even imagine! how do engine mounts look and where they at in a flat 12 is the trans behind the engine or in front?
I guess dry sump with low profile pan would be mandatory, but the cost of all the mods would be huge, might as well spend 20k on a working flat12 from a wreck? or rebuild and keep the value of a Ferrari not a kit car

If all above fails a first gen. VW beetle engine should fit just fine!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:36 PM
EmNash
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...220322167.html

Came across this story today
Old 01-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Swany00
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd probably pass on an exotic, but I'd pick up a domestic hot rod if it were pennies on the dollar, and drive the fk out of it
The following users liked this post:
The_Dude (05-19-2016)
Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Cool and congrats. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Linas
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c3nashvette
Oh, that's my (new) Ferrari! Just checked with the guys at shipping company and after months of seeing nothing but Toyotas and Hondas, they are excited even more than myself
Old 01-29-2013, 01:01 PM
jn76vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'm sure Ferrari would be willing repair it for a small fortune. Would make a fun project car. I would want to repair/restore it, though that will be pricey, even if you can do the work yourself.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:59 AM
straitjacket
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

even if it never runs it would be awesome yard art.
billy
Old 01-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Ferrari parts are extremely expensive, TR parts prices are beyond imigination.
As an example one new replacement brake disk for a TR cost between $502 and $672 depending on the year and type..

Make those prices work for you: Part it out.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:37 AM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Just readed an article in a vintage magazine about this car.
It has a flat V12, not a boxer. The crank makes the difference

But the important thing i wanted to tell you was, that many parts are not available anymore. The contacts in the plugs are known to rust, spare parts are not available! So you may need to replace all plugs and so on. This will really look bubba.
Additional the ignition control system is very sensitive to water. You dont want to know what that costs
Parts of the interieur are also no longer available.
They worte that many cars with minor defects are taken appart to deliver parts for others.
I think this is what will happen to this car. For a averrage person its not possible to get this thing back to life, it will be just too expensive.

And if it runs - you know the thing about the 20k-miles belt, the clutch lasts only 40k miles, the gearbox is known for breaking when you make to many burnouts.
And then there are so many addition parts in it that could break...2 gas pumps, 2 bosch fuel injection systems and and and...
This thing is not made to keep it easily alive.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:32 PM
PaPaPork
Racer

Originally Posted by zuendler
Don't want to turn this into a spit fest but there is no such thing as a "flat V12" Cylinders might be in a "V" layout or horizontally opposed, not both. Ferrari needed a flat engine so they "flattened" their V12 to 180 degrees. Sure True boxers have individual crank journals (for each piston) while flats have shared journals, but no one can tell that just from looking under the hood so the terms started working both ways, with "flat
" popular in US and "boxer" in EU
Old 02-03-2013, 03:55 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

The testarossa engine was indeed a boxer, not a V12. Found this pic on google:

Maybe where some confusion is coming from is that Ferrari V-engines use a flat-plane crankshaft, where American V8s use a cross-plane crankshaft. Flat-plane revs better but makes less torque.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:30 PM
zuendler
Pro

PaPaPork already explained it. The reason this engine is called a 180° V is that the pistons dont move out and in on both sides like in a boxer engine. The boxer would reduce vibrations to a minimum. But with the crank of a V engine it does not.

Of course i would call every flat engine a boxer - you cant see whats inside. But when you know it...
Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

the problem will be with ALL the wiring connectors that went under water, as well as any electrical control modules. Once exposed to salt, they never stop corroding. You have to open up EVERY wiring connector, and anywhere water would have gotten to anything electrical, and rinse it out, preferably before it has had a chance to dry.

A neighbor of mine thought he stole on a C- class mercedes from Sandy. But he knew nothing about salt water. He spent weeks on it, and every other day, something else quit working. He ended up practically giving the car away.

I sincerely hope you have better luck.

PS, I remember him quoting like $15-20,000 for a new wiring harness from Merc.

Last edited by FastEddy; 02-04-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Just because a car is too expensive to restore does not mean you cannot enjoy it. My '76 was not worth restoring, so I'm creating a restomod. All the looks of a classic, with cheap junkyard/hot rod parts.

Ruined engine managment controls can be replaced with FAST or Megasquirt, ruined interior parts can be covered by an upholstery shop, and electrical connections can be repaired with generic parts. You'll have a custom Ferrari for cheap, and your not hurting value because you're not destroying any parts you could not sell off anyway.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

The angle between the cylinder banks has nothing to do with the boxer vs. V-engine designation.

Whatever someone has started calling them in Europe or the US, the correct definition of a boxer engine is one crank pin for every cylinder. A V-engine has the two opposing cylinders sharing a crank pin.

Considering that the TR was the successor to the "Ferrari Boxer" (512BB, or Berlinetti Boxer) and despite its name that one actually also didn't have a boxer engine but a flat V12, it's easy to get confused

Cranks:
American V8's use 90 degree cranks (90 degrees between adjacent crank pins), most others use 180 degree cranks.
90 degree crank: Good for low RPM torque.
180 degree crank: Good for high RPM HP.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 AM
zuendler
Pro

I like the idea of the modding.
Take the complete old electric system out of it, also the mech. fuel injection and replace it with a modern electronic system.

Get notified of new replies

To Totally offtopic - Ferrari Testarossa

Old 02-05-2013, 09:56 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by zuendler

But the important thing i wanted to tell you was, that many parts are not available anymore. The contacts in the plugs are known to rust, spare parts are not available! So you may need to replace all plugs and so on. This will really look bubba.
Additional the ignition control system is very sensitive to water. You dont want to know what that costs
Parts of the interieur are also no longer available.
They worte that many cars with minor defects are taken appart to deliver parts for others.
I think this is what will happen to this car. For a averrage person its not possible to get this thing back to life, it will be just too expensive.

And if it runs - you know the thing about the 20k-miles belt, the clutch lasts only 40k miles, the gearbox is known for breaking when you make to many burnouts.
And then there are so many addition parts in it that could break...2 gas pumps, 2 bosch fuel injection systems and and and...
This thing is not made to keep it easily alive.
there's a lot of bleeding involved when you've got a cutting edge car
Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by FastEddy
the problem will be with ALL the wiring connectors that went under water, as well as any electrical control modules. Once exposed to salt, they never stop corroding. You have to open up EVERY wiring connector, and anywhere water would have gotten to anything electrical, and rinse it out, preferably before it has had a chance to dry.

A neighbor of mine thought he stole on a C- class mercedes from Sandy. But he knew nothing about salt water. He spent weeks on it, and every other day, something else quit working. He ended up practically giving the car away.

I sincerely hope you have better luck.

PS, I remember him quoting like $15-20,000 for a new wiring harness from Merc.
I get the gloom and doom of this - but did Ferrari forgo weather pak connectors? Sounds like Merc cheaped out on the connectors... or it was just the interior that would need replacing

plus, I seriously don't get why people have the attitude that we can't make whatever was built before again.... just because it's cubic dollars to remake doesn't mean it's impossible.

the mechanic in me is now curious.... how did Ferrari connect their electronics?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
I get the gloom and doom of this - but did Ferrari forgo weather pak connectors? Sounds like Merc cheaped out on the connectors... or it was just the interior that would need replacing

plus, I seriously don't get why people have the attitude that we can't make whatever was built before again.... just because it's cubic dollars to remake doesn't mean it's impossible.

the mechanic in me is now curious.... how did Ferrari connect their electronics?
The weather tight connectors used these days are meant for water that is spashed or poured on - they are not meant to be submerged and under pressure. When something is submerged, water will always find its way in. It's really going to depend on how deep it went under, and exactly what got wet. Personally, I wouldn't even want to live near the beach if I owned an exotic.... just the salt in the air would do damage.....

Quick Reply: Totally offtopic - Ferrari Testarossa