Sponsored by:

Just bought a 79 corvette for 2500 dollars

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:40 PM
79 vette burnout
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by razman
ha ha, i was wondering the same thing! ha ha.......
Originally Posted by WHITE 1974
Vin numbers are the same in Canada
sweet
Old 02-08-2013, 12:41 PM
79 vette burnout
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2box
Congrats. I also have a 79 and I paid 1500.00 more than You did.
You will have a lot of happy times and headaches with it . Enjoy and good luck
Nice yea i hope im ready for the ups and downs haha nice dog
Old 02-08-2013, 12:43 PM
79 vette burnout
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Matt Gruber
how does he know it is not 235,000 or 335,000?
It's 135,5 kilometers ? what do you mean somebody changed the tac haha
Old 02-08-2013, 12:44 PM
79 vette burnout
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KLUTZ
A guy from Cleveland calling British Columbia the "Rust Belt".. That's funny.

Best of luck with your project. You're basically in the same boat as I am. I got my '79 in the fall for $2,500.00 as well. Started great, ran great, braked great but interior shot. Chunk out of the front driver fender as well. etc. But I bought it as a re-build not a restore. Sure it is going to cost money to do but it is something to learn on and keep ya busy. Mine is completely apart now, frame bare and ready to weld some patches in.. or if I finally say to he!! with it, I'll get one of the replacement rust free frames that have been offered. (for a $ of course) Don't be discouraged by negative comments. When I was rebuilding my MGB several years ago, I was told on dozens of occasions that it was a "Parts Car". I certainly proved them wrong with my final product.
Keep us informed of your plans. Make sure you check the body mounts closely.. Mine were all shot....
Awsome comment thanks im 100% with you,Yea and i think its possable to see Canada from Detroit haha.Something to keep me busy and you gotta start somewere,Congrats on the car also would like to see some pics,my frame is also rusted in places but i havent checked all the mounts yet gonna for sure now will keep postings
Old 02-08-2013, 12:46 PM
79 vette burnout
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fireball57
You might want to check your math. Maybe 34 years old?
My bad, 34 years sounds better anyways haha
Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

After 15 years,It would need the rear bearings replaced, but before i would spend any more money on her,I would check the birdcage for rust. The complete bird cage not just the area of the body mounts. You will probably need a carburetor and heads redone. Also by looking at your pictures and seeing the video it looks like you have some electrical issues at the gauges. It looked to me like an L48 and the odometer read at least 113+ miles. Not to bust your bubble,but your looking at 8k just to get it to a 6k car. Try to do ll the work yourself and you will not get hurt too bad. I bought my wife a 78 pace car last Nov for $1200. So far Ive done the interior and some normal maint.,exhaust etc and In up to 4k. It had up rather quickly. Good luck!!!!
Becareful with the pin holes rust,If you haven already found out it can easily turn to golf ball size holes.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 AM
73 Rat
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats!!
I bought my '73 for $2500 last Thanksgiving & just got it to start - Waiting on a rebuilt carb... So much to do & so little money...
Good Luck!!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:24 AM
Mid-Years Forever!
Instructor

Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 AM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you got a running vette that wasn't falling apart from rust for 2500 you've already won. People will tell you you've got to send xx,xxx money to get it to a certain point. Don't listen. Put what ever you want into it and drive the damn thing. If you want to put 15000 into it and it ends up worth 10 well that's up to you. Sometimes I consider that 5 grand of entertainment for a couple of years. It ain't going to hookers, beer or whatever!

Enjoy it, it's a vette!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Learning_Curve
Uncovered outside with no window? You might want to check the floorpans. The body may not rust, the the floor will.

I think my 2500 dollar car was in the same situation. It had no tops, and I found a big surprise when I removed the carpet.

congrats and good luck

welcome
Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but more then likely these guys are right. Although the car may drive and seem like there is "not much", the C3 can hide a lot.

Mine "drove" just fine too. But, when I started my restomod a few months ago, I lifted the body and the rear section of the frame dropped to the floor. My body was holding the frame together. I see snow in your youtube video which means your in the rust belt. Sitting outside all that time...

Good luck though.

BTW.. since when is 135,000 miles 'low mileage"

First off congrats I payed $3,000 for my 1979 l48 auto. It ran like a dream brand new alt, brand new starter and a was sooo much fun I thought I got a steal. A hundred miles into owning her I found out I was screwed I love my car an will never sell b/c I have WAY more into her than she is worth. I hope you keep the car and drive te hell out of it. No one here ever means to e discouraging its just what happens. We all just want you to know that the c3s are very quick money pits and to be very very cautious with money spent on the car. If you go to do brakes your gonna find you need trailing arms done if they are original untouched. All rubber suspension plus floor boards an possibly bird cage rust if the floor is bad. That right alone if you don't do te work yourself will cost more than the car is gonna be worth in 5 years. Again keep the car love it and rebuild what needs rebuilding but ask LOTS of questions and keep a close eye on your wallet

Welcome to the c3 group
Old 05-30-2013, 08:02 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Good luck with your 79 vette purchase. Have fun , its a hobby, just get a Honda or something to drive daily.

I owned a very nice one, a 1979 factory black L82 cr four speed , AC 3:73 posi and glass tops. and spoiler kit and the big EAGLE GT tires , she was a looker. A very nice car in showroom condition.

That was in 1983 ....... I traded it " dead even" at a dealer for a 1966 427 convertible. in so -so condition.... but still . Oh gas was fairly cheap.

HAA!!! those were the days ....before the C2 craze officially took off.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I "overpaid" for my beat up 82. Got it for 2600 to my house. I immediately sank 2500 more into suspension, brakes, cooling, engine controls, tires, weather stripping, shocks....basically all the things to make it drive. Enjoyed it for a few months and now its in the trans shop for a 1200 dollar rebuild/upgrade. I will be in it for around 6500 bucks and have rear trailing arms, diff, paint/body and some interior love left to do.
best part of doing it this way is you know what you have, you get to invest as you have the money, and you get the joy of the journey (some say the best part). Keep at it and make sure to drive it as much as you can along the way. Keeps the motivation high.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
I "overpaid" for my beat up 82. Got it for 2600 to my house. I immediately sank 2500 more into suspension, brakes, cooling, engine controls, tires, weather stripping, shocks....basically all the things to make it drive. Enjoyed it for a few months and now its in the trans shop for a 1200 dollar rebuild/upgrade. I will be in it for around 6500 bucks and have rear trailing arms, diff, paint/body and some interior love left to do.
best part of doing it this way is you know what you have, you get to invest as you have the money, and you get the joy of the journey (some say the best part). Keep at it and make sure to drive it as much as you can along the way. Keeps the motivation high.
yes that's a good plan......I usually pick 1-3 items to upgrade or replace , like carpet , mirror, some bearings, trim pieces ,ect. each year Sometimes more items , sometimes less depending on cash available to throw at it.

I'm on my third soft top , second set of carpet, bunch shocks, rebuilt all the items attached to the engine... if you actually drive the car a lot and don't let it setting the garage stuff wears out

I want to give my car a valve job and restore the carb 500.00 this winter.. it appears I may have to replace my trailing arms , just so I can align the rear.

find a car you truly enjoy and it isn't such a heartache to repair it.

I don't want a perfect corvette, I love driving them too much ..... don't want to fret about a 16 K paint job every time I want to go somewhere or actually use the car . cars were meant to be driven.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

as others have said, don't feel like you HAVE to sink $10k nto fixing every little thing on the car to be presentable. Get it running and drive it. Do a little here and there. There is nothing you can't do yourself with the help of the forum and a little passion. some guys will spend $500 on a carb rebuild, $1200 on a trans rebuild, etc. but you can do that yourself for under a hundred bucks. no better way to learn than to take something apart and put it back together again. parts are cheap, do your own labor and you can have a nice car for only a couple grand more.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:22 AM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 79 vette burnout
Now you have some money sence haha thanks alot i havent decided if im gonna modify yet any ideas will be much appreciated
Since they made so many of these modify to make it yours. I am just about finished installing an LS engine in mine.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 79 corvette for 2500 dollars