Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emblem Repaint

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:29 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,718 Likes on 2,275 Posts

The one thing that I really like about the appearance of the Porcelain painted emblems is that the paints are just a little bit transluscent. So, for the red (particularly), some of the shine from the underlying chrome comes back through the paint. It really has a unique quality about it, even though it still looks like the factory paint colors.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:33 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by AdamMeh
Used paint on mine as well, but I really like the way 7T1's turned out. I may end up stripping mine and trying again.

Before (nose emblem)

After (before I cleaned up the edges)

Adam
That turned out great. Is that with testors paint?
Old 08-19-2013, 02:12 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by The Punisher
That turned out great. Is that with testors paint?
Thanks - yes, it's enamel thinned a little so it would "flow". The only problem I have with the results is that I would like a little smoother finish then I was able to achieve this way. That's why I mentioned about stripping and trying again with the ceramic paints that 7T1 suggested. I'm thinking that the heat used with the ceramic paints may offer a better, and possibly more original, look than I am getting. Maybe more durable as well!

Either way it's better then paying $100+ for reproductions - that's just crazy money for what you get IMO.

Adam
Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

I wouldn't strip those Adam, they look great!
Carter
Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette

Here's what mine look like. Baked-on porcelain paint that isn't affected by weather and UV. If folks have an interest, I will provide details.
I would like details
Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by AdamMeh
Thanks - yes, it's enamel thinned a little so it would "flow". The only problem I have with the results is that I would like a little smoother finish then I was able to achieve this way. That's why I mentioned about stripping and trying again with the ceramic paints that 7T1 suggested. I'm thinking that the heat used with the ceramic paints may offer a better, and possibly more original, look than I am getting. Maybe more durable as well!

Either way it's better then paying $100+ for reproductions - that's just crazy money for what you get IMO.

Adam
Any specific color red from testors?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:52 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Hey Punisher,

I used Testors black and white (gloss) and Tamiya brand red (gloss). After having built many models (more when I was younger), I discovered the Tamiya brand red has more pigment and it lays flatter then the Testors brand (not as thick) - AND it has a little more of an Orange tint to it then Testors which looked better to me on the emblems.

If you do use the Tamiya brand, don't thin it quite as much as you do the Testors stuff. You could certainly just use the Tamiya brand black and white as well - it's very good paint.

Here is a color chart - Just "Black" - "White" - "Red". The "X" means it's gloss finish and for plastic models and that's what you'll want.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/ln...chart-10ml.pdf

Adam

Last edited by AdamMeh; 08-20-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 AM
75+78 Corvettes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the porcelain finish. looks great. Now what about the chrome. given that the badges are just pot metal can you just take it to a chromer and tell them to dip them and be fine? how much does that run?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

'7T1Vette - that looks BETTER than new.....wow
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 75+78 Corvettes
I like the porcelain finish. looks great. Now what about the chrome. given that the badges are just pot metal can you just take it to a chromer and tell them to dip them and be fine? how much does that run?
I think 7T1 has come up with a better system than the way I did ours. That's why I mentioned about trying it again. To be honest, it wasn't that big of a project. Maybe a half hour to an hour per emblem. Not a big deal to try another type of paint IMO. Plus, it gives me something to tinker with during the hot summer here
Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Mikesfreetime....

Refer to Post #7 (page 1) of this thread for details....
Old 01-08-2017, 03:56 PM
dshawster
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The chrome needs to be in 'decent' condition. You should strip all existing paint with chemical stripper, then wash/rinse/dry the emblem completely.

Go to Michael's Craft store (or the internet) and purchase three small bottles of Porcelain [brand name] model paint; this is paint that is normally used for putting on glass, plates, metal, etc. Get 'Anthracite Black', Crimson Red', and a bright white (I can't find my bottle of white to give you the actual color title {"Hey, Sherri. What did you do with my bottle of Porcelain white?} [got no response, sorry] Also buy a small artist's brush with round shape that comes to a point.

Position the emblem on a hunk of clay, Play Doh, or in a modeling fixture so that the area you will be painting is level and so that when you need to do another area you can adjust it to level easily. This is VERY important, as you don't want the paint to run onto areas you don't want to receive paint.

Now, the strategy for painting is a bit different. You DO NOT want to 'stroke' the paint onto the emblem. You want to 'wick' the paint into the areas to be painted and let it flow out to fill the surface. So, get some paint into the end of that artist's brush, then touch an spot in the middle of the area you want to paint and allow it to just adhere to the surface an wick down/flow out. Doing this will allow the paint to achieve an even thickness and not have brush strokes. You will likely need to do this just ONE time for each checkered square; but you will do this several times for the red flag. This is why you need to be able to re-adjust the position of the emblem as you are painting, because the red flag is 'wavy' and you will be putting several daubs of paint on it. You need to keep moving and lay down a new paint daub right next to the last one so that it has no time to set up/dry. If some paint wick's up too far on a raised surface, just let it dry. After an hour or so, use a sharp X-Acto knife blade to shave off any unwanted paint. DO NOT BRUSH THE SHAVINGS OFF...blow them off. If they won't come off completely, wait until the paint is completely dry to use a brush and clean all excess off.

Do one color at a time and do all areas of that color. Wait about an hour between colors. {Put brush in cleaner between colors. I think Porcelain is water-soluable, but I can't remember for sure. The bottle will tell you what to use.} When all of the flag is done, let it dry completely overnight. Then, bake the emblem in a kitchen oven or in a toaster oven, according to the instructions on the Porcelain bottle. Do not overheat and do not leave it in too long at baking temperature. When the time is up, LEAVE THE PART IN THE OVEN but turn OFF the heat. Allow the piece(s) to cool slowly so that you don't get any crazing of the paint. The toaster oven cools more quickly but still will not craze, so I prefer to use that.

When cooled, check your work. If you don't think the job is good enough, just strip all the paint again and retry it. You have only lost a bit of your time. The first one I did took three tries. But, that was primarily to find what worked best and provided me with the 'process' that I just gave to you. You may need one attempt to get your hands and mind in-sync with the painting process.

Good luck! I have been very happy with the results. The emblems have lasted 7 years (so far), with 5 of them in AZ summer sun. So, they are durable. And, I get lots of comments on how good they look at car shows. Can you imagine? Comments about your emblems? Makes me grin....
Thanks for the write up! I'm going to give this a go on my faded emblems, I ordered everything online as Michaels doesn't carry any of the porcelain paint. The employees there didn't really seem to know what I was talking about. My emblems are sitting in some lacquer thinner now to get all the old stuff off. I'll post some pics of how mine came out when I'm done.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:31 AM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by dshawster
Thanks for the write up! I'm going to give this a go on my faded emblems, I ordered everything online as Michaels doesn't carry any of the porcelain paint. The employees there didn't really seem to know what I was talking about. My emblems are sitting in some lacquer thinner now to get all the old stuff off. I'll post some pics of how mine came out when I'm done.
Boiling in water is another way to remove the original paint..
The following users liked this post:
Andy Tuttle (01-10-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 11:40 PM
kettererhouse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7T1vette Thanks I had always used testors and oven baked but think that porcelain would hold up way better. Very nice.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:54 PM
69Pman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Good stuff..will be diving into my front emblem ASAP with 7T1's methods.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:48 PM
Hud1086
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

This is great, I can't wait to test my shaky hands on this project.

Any tips for getting the emblems OFF the car without breaking anything? (I haven't looked into how they are held on yet)

Hud
Old 01-12-2017, 01:01 PM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by kettererhouse
7T1vette Thanks I had always used testors and oven baked but think that porcelain would hold up way better. Very nice.
I agree that porcelain would have to be better. 2 years ago I prepped the emblems with mineral spirits to remove the wax/grease and then used Testors paint. I didn't bake it like you did (I let it air dry). It looked great initially, but 2+ years later am noticing that it is starting to flake off. I'm surprised it is deteriorating so fast as the car is always garaged. Live and learn I guess.

Get notified of new replies

To Emblem Repaint

Old 01-12-2017, 04:13 PM
dshawster
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are my before and after. The brand paint 7T1vette used did not have a crimson red so I chose a coral red, it probably isn't right but I think it looks good so I'm going to roll with it. It actually looks similar to the old paint that was on mine (don't know if it was original or not) and has a hint of chevy orange to it. I would suggest painting it a couple of times to get a technique down that works for you, overall a very easy and worthwhile project.
Attached Images     
Old 01-13-2017, 12:18 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Nice work!!

{another satisfied 'customer' }
Old 01-23-2017, 12:40 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,202 Likes on 926 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

{another satisfied 'customer' }
for posting your method. Just finished mine. Not perfect at close up but at 5' or more, it looks great! I used ruby red because it was the closest colour to red that they had in stock.

Last edited by resdoggie; 01-23-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Emblem Repaint