Stereo/Gauge cluster bezel paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Default Stereo/Gauge cluster bezel paint

I snapped my stereo/gauge cluster bezel on my 73 ,of course at the narrowest point on both sides.
Thankfully I have another one, but I am experimenting on repairing the original one.
Does anyone have any advise on the proper black paint to use when I go to re paint it?
Thank you.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:09 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Redwing01
I snapped my stereo/gauge cluster bezel on my 73 ,of course at the narrowest point on both sides.
Thankfully I have another one, but I am experimenting on repairing the original one.
Does anyone have any advise on the proper black paint to use when I go to re paint it?
Thank you.
I used satin black on my entire 69 center gauge cluster and am very pleased with the finish...

Old 03-02-2014, 08:29 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Satin black or semi-flat black. Semi-gloss black is too shiny for it.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Hey, thanks for the reply and that really does look great!
Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:41 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I am getting ready to refinish mine and wondered if you have to "rub" some of the finish off. My 71 has a pebbled finish with some of the paint exposed on the high points.

I'm not sure if it came from the factory like this or just wear.

Kevin
Old 03-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

John Deere Blitz Black
Old 03-03-2014, 03:31 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

You need to chemically strip all of the old paint off, first. Then clean and rinse well and let dry completely.

Spray a couple of coats of satin (or semi-flat) black paint; wait 5-7 minutes, then use an Xacto-knife blade to shave the soft paint from the raised surfaces. Be careful not to touch the other freshly painted areas; and don't wipe or brush off any of the trimmings. You can blow them off (mouth, not compressed air). If they won't blow off, just leave them until the paint is hard...then brush them off.

Others have used lacquer thinner on cloth to wipe off the top surface, but it's easier to shave off the soft paint, IMO.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:44 PM
AutoFast
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you figure out a way to repair the snapped one? My 71 snapped. Tried metal epoxy, etc and no luck. Can it be welded? If you have an answer could you PM me?

Originally Posted by Redwing01
Thank you.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:01 PM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoFast
Did you figure out a way to repair the snapped one? My 71 snapped. Tried metal epoxy, etc and no luck. Can it be welded? If you have an answer could you PM me?
I don't think that these bezels can be welded as they are made from pot metal. This material does not lend itself to welding. Most all of the large Corvette parts vendors offer repops however.

For what it worth, my bezel was broken when I got my car earlier this year. I recently removed the gauge cluster in order to repair the oil pressure gauge, repair the ammeter, install a new aftermarket radio and repaint the bezel. Since my car is of driver quality, I opted to reinstall the broken bezel. In my opinion the break isn't all that noticeable.
Attached Images  

Last edited by AkrHack; 09-10-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:37 PM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Maybe J B Weld ? I've had good luck on certain things. I have my original bezel that snapped like yours, thinking of trying the JB weld just to see.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:59 PM
CVO2FIXUP
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Speaking of the center console, I am noticing that the center consoles/bezels on a lot of vetts seems to hang down on the left upper corner just above the air vents where it meets the facing lip of the dash. Looks like there is a missing screw on one side and the top edge of the bezel is drooping. Is there a fix for that, is it as simple as replacing a screw? I see this even on top end, fully restored, perfect and very expensive cars.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:15 AM
Bluebuyu
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out post # 2 of this link to fix it. It worked for me.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...guage-pod.html
Old 09-12-2014, 01:18 AM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by CVO2FIXUP
Speaking of the center console, I am noticing that the center consoles/bezels on a lot of vetts seems to hang down on the left upper corner just above the air vents where it meets the facing lip of the dash. Looks like there is a missing screw on one side and the top edge of the bezel is drooping. Is there a fix for that, is it as simple as replacing a screw? I see this even on top end, fully restored, perfect and very expensive cars.

Looked at my '73's new bezel and it appears to droop as you state, but just a little, maybe a 1/16th I don't see a place for a screw, probably just one of the quirks of these cars , they weren't perfect when new. Now that they are 40+ years old things just don't fit right.
Just my .02
Old 09-12-2014, 01:51 AM
nwav8tor
Old Fart Pilot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluebuyu
Check out post # 2 of this link to fix it. It worked for me.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...guage-pod.html
I have the same situation. Thanks for the link!!

Paul
Old 09-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by grumman41
...My 71 has a pebbled finish with some of the paint exposed on the high points. I'm not sure if it came from the factory like this or just wear...
Wear.

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo/Gauge cluster bezel paint

Quick Reply: Stereo/Gauge cluster bezel paint