Sponsored by:

Ventilation question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 07:09 AM
LarMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ventilation question

This might be a stupid set of questions but... How many ventilation systems are there on a 73? And are they isolated from each other?

In the cabin, there are two center console levers with a round "Close" head. These control what appears to be fresh air vents behind the kick panels by a cable. Simple, manual system. I assume it is isolated from everything.

There is also the Astro ventilation system. Are these ONLY the round vents or do other vents receive this air? These appear to also be manually controlled with a black push pull button. Are these involved in the AC system at all?

Then there are the two long slotted vents on the passenger side. Are these part of the Astro system?

What doesn't help here is this car did not have AC and someone installed an after market one. Not sure if the vents are hooked up like for a normal AC car or Bubba'ed together.

Thanks for any help.

LarMan
Houston, TX
Old 05-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Astro-Ventilation is the trade name GM began using in 1968 for their fresh air system. It attempts to route fresh outside air through the car.

On C3s, with the dash vents open, outside air enters through the kick panel doors and the dash vent *****. In theory, air leaves the car through the rear bulkhead doors and the vents on the rear deck.

Closing the vent ***** on the consoles closes only the kick panel doors. To stop air from the dash vent *****, you have to turn the vent *****.

There's a blurb about Astro-Ventilaiton in the owner's manual.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 05-05-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi LM,
In order for the air that enters through the kick panel vents and 'astro-ventilation' ***** to have a place to flow with the windows closed, there's a pair of vents under the rear deck on coupes, and on the rear bulkhead on convertibles.
These vents have 'flapper' doors that are controlled by the Hot-Cold wheel on the right side of the heater defroster control on the console.
Vacuum is used to open the flapper doors when the wheel is turned to cold. If the doors aren't opened the air flow into the car is restricted.
On a/c cars these rear vents are blocked off permanently.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-05-2014, 07:13 PM
LarMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well... being this is a non AC car originally, I assume I've got the vacuum system in the back.

The after market AC blows very cold air on the passenger's legs but none on yours truly. Hmmmm. I wonder if I could direct some of that nice cold air to the Astro vent on the drivers side. (Don't cringe... it is already non original on many levels. )

Thanks for your help.

Get notified of new replies

To Ventilation question

Quick Reply: Ventilation question