Sponsored by:

The Wave

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 12:15 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 251 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
That's about right for around here too. Harley bikers will give the thumbs up a lot for my vette.

Older car s and sports cars , muscle car people wave quite a bit.

C4 guys wave ..bless their hearts

C5 occasionally

C6. Almost never...... Their car is butt ugly and they want to ignore that...Most of these guys are just ....

C7. They are clueless , in a rush ....all bout being in a hurry and status symbol......not enough real men own these cars....none car guys .
Too bad Pete misses what you are saying and took it serious. I think you need a tongue in cheek emoticon, but there isn't one, so the wink will have to do.

A guy in a C6 waved today as a friend and I headed over to big Lots for a cruise night in the '68. It was a coupe, so I didn't expect it, but he stuck his hand out the window to wave. I think the '68 has an advantage in getting waves in that:

1. its red
2. it is a recognizable shape that most remember from growing up (these guys who wave are in 40s and 50s, I'd guess).
3. they recognize it as old, although I doubt they could guess within 10 years, but it's new enough they remember seeing them, unlike the straight axles and the midyears which had begun to leave the streets by the time most of these newer Vette owners began to recognize cars.

Anyway, it is all in good fun, the waving stuff that is.

Everyone knows there is a serious hierarchy to The Wave.

1. newer car must wave to older car first.
2. small block has to wave to big block first
3. coupe must wave to convertible first
4. other colors must wave to red first ("All Corvettes Are Red", remember?)
5. women drivers must wave to men drivers first (unless they are young and blond)
Old 06-14-2014, 05:00 AM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
You should be careful about making generalizations like that. When I drive my '69 convertible and my '07 ZO6, I always wave at Corvettes that I see, heck, I even wave at Vettes when I'm driving my F250.
I'm certainly a car guy I have many friends who own C6s AND C7s. They too are car guys.
Just because we can afford new Corvettes doesn't mean we are clueless, non-car guys. It means we like the engineering and performance the new cars deliver.
When your C3 was new there were likely owners of ratty C1s and C2s who looked down at the owners of those new C3s, calling them clueless and snobs.
No hard feelings, just don't judge. We are all in this for FUN. And that's
II totally agree with you. All we were describing was what we experience in our areas. Some guys wave, some don't. It's all in fun anyway. If I had the cash, I would have a newer Vette as a daily driver. I like the c6, not so sure about the c7 yet.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:28 PM
carlstults
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received a wave today and it reminded me that for some time I have wanted to submit a reply to this post. I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Not every Corvette driver returns my wave. Maybe they don't see my wave; maybe their non-return is based on a safety factor; maybe there are other reasons. I wave. My wave to other Corvette drivers is a courtesy and a recognition we belong to an exclusive club. Not that we are better than other cars or other drivers; certainly not. Nevertheless, someone who has taken the time to purchase and drive a Corvette, any model or year, deserves a wave. Camaraderie, I suppose. No wave back? It's okay; it's for the recipient to decide. Drive your Corvette in Colo Spgs and you see a Black Grand Sport coming your way - you will get a wave.

Moreover, to the gentleman who waved at me today, right back at ya, my friend.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:32 PM
ChuckWalters
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out today cruising around and met five Vettes of various years (no C7's) and all waved! Often we were both waving at exactly the same time so it wasn't just in return. Central New York is a wave friendly Corvette place!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SciVette
I always wave at: any Corvette, older collector-type cars, any kid or adult that waves at me. Most of the C5 and newer Vettes do not wave back (unlike me I don't think they keep their eyes peeled for other Vettes), but I wave anyways...
Old 06-29-2014, 11:12 PM
Hpozzuoli
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought of this thread when I drove by a 79 and waved today. The 79 just looked at me with both hands on the wheel and kept on cruising.....wtf!
Old 06-30-2014, 11:09 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

My '72 vert is rather unique as you can see from my shutterfly site below....and it gets comments, waves, smiles, inquiries every time I take it out.....sometimes at every store, stoplight.....first question is....'
what year IS that??''.......heheeh....my reply is, pick a year you like....

got parts on it from '65 through '94 and that's just the vette parts.....

Old 06-30-2014, 11:22 AM
prlwng
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If in north or south dakota you may pass a semi loaded with crushed cars headed to shreder. You may see an arm out window with a thumb up. If the red truck has black(not chrome) stacks. Ya, that be me.

Have hauled many vintage to shreder, but no vettes yet.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:36 AM
AARRA
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I will always wave if I see the other 'Vette first or wave back. I can't promise that I always see someone on a highway coming from the opposite direction and if I miss a wave I hereby apologize to anyone and everyone from the day I first drove the car until the end of time. I do have to try to remember to open the window first, very painful when I don't.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:02 PM
drkness01
Instructor

I felt bad because I couldnt wave to a red 68 or the black 72 here in Pensacola. We were crossing the bay bridge and they were nice enough to do a full hands out the top wave.

I know it sound blasphemous, I was driving my 76 home from the seller and had to keep both hands on the wheel to hold it in place. The column was missing the bushings and spacers.

Dropped a 75 wheel and column in it last Thursday, so I shouldnt have that problem again. As a young(ish) owner I dont want to be disrespectful to the guys that have kept these old girls alive until I could get one.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:00 AM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by '71LT-1Stingray
I have a Jeep and wave at all other Jeeps.

I have a Harley and wave at all the other bikes on the road.

Now that I have a C3 Vette, I wave at all Vettes and classic cars.

I get confused sometimes and no matter what I'm driving or riding out of these three, I wave at bikes, Jeeps, Vettes, and classics.

Most people realize it's a brotherhood out there on the road when you're sharing the same mode of transportation.

Most people do wave back and even the ones that don't, I don't care or let it bother me. Half of the ones that I don't see wave probably just threw their hand up when it was to late for me to see it or they never saw me in the 1st place...lol. I know it's happened to me where someone waved and by the time I waved back, they had already passed and never saw me throw my hand up. It's all good though, I'm just out there having fun if I'm on the Harley or in the Jeep or Vette. These modes of transportation are only on the road for cruising and cruising = fun.
I'm with ya on all areas. I will always as well return a wave from anyone that shoots me one when I'm in the Vette. If I get a wave from someone in a DD, I figure they have something in the garage at home or at least are in the know with the brotherhood.

I used to have a Chevy Prizm for a work commuter. I started waving at every Prizm I saw trying to get a response. Thought I'd see if I could start something like a Prizm club or something. I just got a few waves but a whole lot of freakish looks.

Terry
Old 07-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Tahlee
Advanced

I tried to tell my 14 year old son about the wave. He doesn't believe me. He said that people are waving back at me bacause they feel bad that I am waving like a fool.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Hpozzuoli
Instructor

What the F. I had my 71 out this morning to go the gym. On my way home I passed a C7. Wasn't expecting much when I waved. I was right, no wave back. I then passed a nice black mid 70's C3 with side pipes and gave a wave. He just kept on trucking. Why is it so hard to be friendly? I see every jeep owner hanging out the side of their CJ's waving like they are having a stroke. Even at cruise night the other Vette owners seem snobbish, at least to me. I am very friendly and compliment every Vette I see at cruise night, but nobody wants to talk about their car. They just sit in their beach chairs with their nose in the air.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:20 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli
What the F. I had my 71 out this morning to go the gym. On my way home I passed a C7. Wasn't expecting much when I waved. I was right, no wave back. I then passed a nice black mid 70's C3 with side pipes and gave a wave. He just kept on trucking. Why is it so hard to be friendly? I see every jeep owner hanging out the side of their CJ's waving like they are having a stroke. Even at cruise night the other Vette owners seem snobbish, at least to me. I am very friendly and compliment every Vette I see at cruise night, but nobody wants to talk about their car. They just sit in their beach chairs with their nose in the air.
Must be your area, every wave I've given a fellow vette (all years), is returned
Old 07-24-2014, 01:08 PM
blueray72
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Something new happened to me last weekend. I was cruising in Sonoma California. I was driving down a road that was shared by bicyclists and a rider was coming towards me. He put his hand up as if to wave and then when we got close he held his hand out. I didn't know what he was doing. After I figured out he wanted a "high five" I stuck my hand out the car but it was too late...I missed it.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:14 PM
merlin5353
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10

Default I wave

I've got a '71 and a '04. When I'm in either car, and notice another Corvette, I wave. Just that simple. I've been a Corvette owner for a long time and have always shown recognition of other Corvette drivers. Recognition and courtesy toward other drivers of the best American Sports Car in the world.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:37 PM
esierra
Racer

Its been a while since I've driven a Vett on a regular basis (19 years since a C4 & 30 years since a C3), But recently I was in my 78 vett on my way to get a smog test and on the short trip I got two waves one from C5 Conv. and a C4 Coupe driven by a lady ( they both initiated the wave first). I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It was nice.

Get notified of new replies

To The Wave

Old 07-24-2014, 09:16 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by widowmaker221
Something I thought only happened when riding motorcycles or out on a boat and people in small towns is that other corvette owners wave at you! I have only owned this car since February and this was a nice thing to find out.
Hellz, I wave to Vette's weather I'm in a Vette or on a bike or in a DD.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:20 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraymyway
Hellz, I wave to Vette's weather I'm in a Vette or on a bike or in a DD.
HaHa! So do I. My waif says the Corvette drivers don't know why I'm waving, and shouldn't wave. I say I'm waving 'cause I love Corvettes and if the Corvette drivers don't get it, I don't care.
Pete
Old 07-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Hpozzuoli
Instructor

It must be me. Passed a woman driving a black C4 and didn't even get a look to my wave. This happened not even 30mins ago on my way home.

Quick Reply: The Wave