Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by stevelischynsky
I was thinking of just adding one of the portable tanks(no compressor) with a T fitting. The compressor would run less cycles but each cycle would be longer.

Hooking up two compressors complete with separate motors, I think would be more complicated. It would be near impossible to synch up both motors. I would think that one of the motors would run but the second motor would kick in late. I think you would need to rewire both motors to run off of one pressure switch. The switch would need to be rated to run both motors. Each motor would probably need it's own 15amp circuit breaker. All this is probably do-able but would be a pain to set up.

Someone else might have some better ideas.

steve L
73 coupe since new
They don't have to kick on at the same time....

Think of two people blowing up a balloon-as long as the air doesn't flow out the non-blowee, the balloon will still fill up.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:29 PM
68notray
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Where are you? I an in Charlotte, NC. Send me your parts - I'll blast them & send them back no charge. I have a cabinet big enough to fit a fender.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:40 AM
nwav8tor
Old Fart Pilot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
Yes- you can. Shops- Industrial Plants do it all the time. More than likely will need two separate electrical circuits.

Both compressor outputs can be T-ed into one line. Probably want to put a check valve (less than $20) in the output of each air compressor before they tee together- to stop air from flowing from the running compressor into the stopped one, and out the unloader valve.

Richard
Thanks Richard! I've already got the 2 separate circuits wired and the tee lines made up. I hadn't thought about check valves though, that's a good idea. Now all I need is the second compressor (and the check valves)...

Paul
Old 12-06-2014, 02:09 AM
Greg1209
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bead blaster

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
Hi All,

There are many old threads on this subject, but I was hoping the forum can help tailor my selection for my needs.

I'm looking to purchase a bead blaster for my shop. My new shop is much smaller than my previous shop, so space is a major issue. My current compressor is a 20-gallon, 1.5 HP rated for 4 SCFM @ 90 psi. The largest I could upgrade to is the 33-gallon Husky 1.7 HP rated for 5.1 SCFM @ 90 psi.

My usage will be for small parts (bolt, brackets, etc.). The largest part I would need to consider is an intake manifold.

I'm looking for a good quality unit with this minimum size needed. Thanks for the help.
Is the issue here not so much the size of the cabinet but the air consumption requirements of the gun in the cabinet? Could you buy the cabinet size you like and then retrofit a gun with a lower air requirement? Just a thought.

Greg
Old 12-06-2014, 10:21 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by Greg1209
Is the issue here not so much the size of the cabinet but the air consumption requirements of the gun in the cabinet? Could you buy the cabinet size you like and then retrofit a gun with a lower air requirement? Just a thought. Greg
Hi Greg,

You are right, it is the air consumption of the gun. I have not looked into a replacement gun/nozzle, but it seems that most, if not all, cabinets have high capacity requirements. I am regrettably assuming that blasting requires higher capacities to work effectively and efficiently.

It is something I will look into though, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:25 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by 68notray
Where are you? I an in Charlotte, NC. Send me your parts - I'll blast them & send them back no charge. I have a cabinet big enough to fit a fender.
Nice of you to offer, but I do enjoy the work, and I work slowly. I like to remove a part, refinish and reinstall.

Quick Reply: Bead Blaster Recommendation