What did you do to your C3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 04:53 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by naramlee
drl?
Daytime Running Lights. I will wire the horizontal strip to come on with parking lights. Then I can turn lights on, pull vacuum shut off at dash, then turn lights off to just parking lights for foggy days or low light scenerios.... and dusk pictures... lol
Old 12-13-2018, 04:56 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Nice hood.
I'll need something like that for my 73.
Do you know who manufactured it and how is the quality and fit?
I don't know who made it but it fits really well. It's a 3" cowl. I am actually about to sell it. I've decided to custom sculpt my own hood design using the original hood. Then I'll lay glass over it for a mold. Then hopefully graft that to the original hood and make it look pretty.

-Stroke
The following users liked this post:
OldCarBum (12-13-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:53 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

ok... found the problem with why it wasn't running, had a brain fart on HEI's so that's fixed, now im having massive issues with the carb... can BARELY get it started by setting the Edelbrock WOT with pedal... it wont idle smooth and struggles to idle at WOT. The carb is moving so much fuel it's puddling WATER on it and is cold to the touch, far colder than ambient.

What really baffles me is I just re-built it before I started this swap and it was running beautiful with about 16mpg in a 3 speed. I took it off before the swap, put it in a plastic bag and put it in a box and put said box in the corner where it sat for the last 7 months.... and now this. Also pops fuel back through the carb when you shut it off so im guessing cross-ignition on the wires.

Last edited by naramlee; 12-14-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:38 PM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

What's the fuel pressure? 5psi is just about max for an Eddy/Carter, 3to4 would be better.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:10 AM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ntfday
What's the fuel pressure? 5psi is just about max for an Eddy/Carter, 3to4 would be better.
cant get a solid reading from the needle bouncing around cuz of the stumble of the motor, im using the same fuel pump i was before on the old L-48, but i added the FPR to dial down and fine tune it for this new motor.

At the moment i have the adjustor all the way out so it should be in bypass mode, this AC Delco pump was doing fine on the old engine.

Im really thinking there is something in the needle seat or float, but idk how... but thats sure the way its running. As soon as the pump filled up the bowls the engine instantly started having issues starting even over the ether.

Last edited by naramlee; 12-15-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:37 AM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 385 Posts

Just catching up ... NICE, kinda ties it all together doesn't it! Why not call her Half Breed?

Dave

Originally Posted by Richard454
Fellow forum member 'Madhatr' Chris sketched this up for me-

"DAS HAIFISCH" or "The Shark"

I followed his lead- my wife bought the nailpolish and I dabbed it on- I'm gonna have her redo it as it was the first time I used nail polish...OK 35 years ago in High School doesn't count!!!

What do you think?

Old 12-15-2018, 09:55 AM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

cant get a solid reading from the needle bouncing around cuz of the stumble of the motor, im using the same fuel pump i was before on the old L-48, but i added the FPR to dial down and fine tune it for this new motor.

At the moment i have the adjustor all the way out so it should be in bypass mode, this AC Delco pump was doing fine on the old engine.

Im really thinking there is something in the needle seat or float, but idk how... but thats sure the way its running. As soon as the pump filled up the bowls the engine instantly started having issues starting even over the ether.
Fuel could be a problem, but I believe somehow crud got under the needles and seats. If you have access to air I'd pull the carb and with carb cleaner I'd blow air through all of the passages.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:09 AM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ntfday
Fuel could be a problem, but I believe somehow crud got under the needles and seats. If you have access to air I'd pull the carb and with carb cleaner I'd blow air through all of the passages.
yup, that's the plan for this morning... I swear if I ever had a first start go right... i'd probably have a heart attack of shear surprise
Old 12-15-2018, 11:52 AM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 189 Posts

can't get a solid reading from the needle bouncing around cuz of the stumble of the motor, I'm using the same fuel pump I was before on the old L-48, but I added the FPR to dial down and fine tune it for this new motor.

At the moment I have the adjustor all the way out so it should be in bypass mode, this AC Delco pump was doing fine on the old engine.
Here's something to try. Pressure Regulators usually increase pressure as you turn the screw "IN". By turning the adjuster all the way out, you might have mistakenly set the regulator to it's minimum pressure instead of it's maximum.

John

Old 12-15-2018, 07:03 PM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Installed adjustable rear strut rods, new spark plugs and a coat of wax then watched it rain the rest of the day so no test drive but maybe tomorrow on Sunday Funday
Old 12-16-2018, 12:40 AM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnRR
Here's something to try. Pressure Regulators usually increase pressure as you turn the screw "IN". By turning the adjuster all the way out, you might have mistakenly set the regulator to it's minimum pressure instead of it's maximum.

John
that's what I was aiming for, trying to pull it down to stem the fuel over-flow

wasn't able to get back to it today thanks to weather, gona try in the morning, not thrilled with an hour trip to get a carb rebuild kit... sometimes living in the country has its faults... most time it's great tho
Old 12-16-2018, 07:01 AM
74_stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 217 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '19

I finished the complete brake line job started last weekend. All steel lines, distribution block, brass junctions, rubber hoses, and hardware have been replaced.
Eddy
Old 12-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Cleaned her up in preparation for a car show today.
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2018, 10:21 AM
74_stingray
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by Street Rat
Cleaned her up in preparation for a car show today.
Beautiful Corvette!
Street Rat (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 02:35 PM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 568 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20

Working the new carpet install.....last time was about 20,yrs ago....forgot how much fun it is....NOT!
bosco1 (12-18-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 07:01 PM
sjstub
Life Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wiring!!!!

I'm in the process of putting together the dash in my 69 convertible. Been pouring over wiring diagrams for 2 days now & have come to the conclusion that there are no really accurate diagrams available. Looks like I may have to "punt" on a few connections. Not looking forward to assembly, disassembly, assembly, disassembly, etc... Know what I mean? Earlier today my frustration led to an hour-long nap, so all is not lost. Still enjoying this journey. Not only learning what my Corvette is made of, but also when to let it alone. Any suggestions on where I might find a good wiring diagram, beside the ***'y Manual?

Last edited by sjstub; 12-16-2018 at 07:08 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 12-16-2018, 07:17 PM
74_stingray
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by sjstub
I'm in the process of putting together the dash in my 69 convertible. Been pouring over wiring diagrams for 2 days now & have come to the conclusion that there are no really accurate diagrams available. Looks like I may have to "punt" on a few connections. Not looking forward to assembly, disassembly, assembly, disassembly, etc... Know what I mean? Earlier today my frustration led to an hour-long nap, so all is not lost. Still enjoying this journey. Not only learning what my Corvette is made of, but also when to let it alone. Any suggestions on where I might find a good wiring diagram, beside the ***'y Manual?
papawana has them, use this link
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...or-anyone.html
Auggievf (12-17-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To What did you do to your C3 today?

Old 12-18-2018, 12:21 AM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

well... I pulled the carb tonight, tore it down and blueprinted everything... there was no trash in the filter inlets to the needle seats, needles seemed fine, no galling of the Vitron… Floats were a hair off parallel to body, but nothing big. So... im going to set the FPR while the carb is out and just get it set to 5 psi so I can eliminate that, but I was really hoping to find something majorly wrong with this carb.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:44 PM
Rusted40
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

https://plus.google.com/photos/photo...85360384567730

sorry this is a 73, maybe its close
Old 12-18-2018, 06:59 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 844 Likes on 660 Posts

Read through this.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...g-routing.html

Quick Reply: What did you do to your C3 today?