Suspension/steering over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:51 PM
69bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14
Default Suspension/steering over bumps

When I hit a bump, even a small one, it seems like the one bump reverberates through the car ( and my butt ) three times or so. Kind of gives the whole car a shake. If I hit a bump with a front tire while in a turn or curve it feels like that tire is 'floating'. It's a little unnerving in a curves when it feels like the car does a little 'drift' in the curve over the bumps.

The steering feels tight going straight and in curves as long as it's smooth road. My brother rode in it and said it felt the same as a '69 Camaro he had. ( albeit he only experienced it from the passenger seat)

I just had the car visually inspected at the vette specialty shop here in Tampa and I assume he'd of called out bushings that had gone to crap. Also if the ball joints were shot it would steer/handle like crap all the time right?

I don't expect it to handle like a 2015 model but is this normal? I've had a couple of early seventies cars and don't remember this feeling in them. That was while I was a teen - have I just forgotten?

( ps it's power steering if that matters )
Old 03-26-2015, 10:43 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,156 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Being a rookie I can only state that C3 Corvettes have rides similar to go-karts. I completely rebuilt the suspension on my project. The only change I made was to install Monroe SensaTrac shocks on all 4 wheels.

I wanted a car that would be comfortable on 1,000 mile road trips without feeling every crack in the Interstate or every blacktop repair on scenic highways, and also feel good around town 3-4 times a week.

The car now is smooth.... bottoms out only on BAD potholes/when it does my spine doesn't pop/no more wincing because of the slipped disc....the smoothness of the ride is much like my wife's Escalade.

That 90 mph curve near my home can only be taken at 70 mph now, but that's O.K. The new tires will last much longer and I don't have to bring a bottle of Advil with me any more.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:12 AM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 69bones
I don't expect it to handle like a 2015 model but is this normal? I've had a couple of early seventies cars and don't remember this feeling in them. That was while I was a teen - have I just forgotten?
Absolutely not normal. Mine doesn't feel like that at all, I can cross the railroad tracks with no hands on the steering wheel.

I'd start with checking bushings, idler arm, shocks and the condition of the trailing arms/diff.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:47 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Make it mechanically sound - brakes, shocks, bushings, etc....

Then - add a spreader bar

REALLY stiffens up the front end. Gets rid of a LOT of the shimmy on the bumps.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:25 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MrJlr

Ahhhhhhhhh........Spreader bar......The handling improved so much after the suspension rebuild that I forgot about adding the spreader bar!
Old 03-27-2015, 12:28 PM
69bones
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '14

Here's a little video of how easy it is to bounce the car. Too easy? Need shocks?

Old 03-27-2015, 02:08 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Shocks no, but your whole car moves which makes me think your spring rates are too soft.

At least once you stop the shock didn't keep bouncing. I really have to get my whole body into it to get mine to move. You look like you are hardly even trying.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:15 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Ahhhhhhhhh........Spreader bar......The handling improved so much after the suspension rebuild that I forgot about adding the spreader bar!
DO IT!!!! I was just shocked when I installed mine some 10 years ago....car corners like a raped ape.....

Old 03-28-2015, 07:20 AM
69bones
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '14

Thanks for the input guys. I'm budget poor for now so I think I will start with a spreader bar and new shocks. As far as I can tell the springs are stock.

This looks like the right spreader bar for me; bolts in with stock small block for under $100.

Next I will probably go for shocks...another easy install and relatively cheap. I don't need Bilstein .... question now is with everything else stock will I be happy with the less expensive ~$25 KYB GR2/Excel-G or do I want the ~$39 KYB Gas-A-Just Shock ?

I'm not going to see any track time but of course I do want to enjoy it more as a sports car should be

doorgunner = go kart would be great!
ddawson = your right - that's why I posted the video, I was hoping someone would see it and say NOT NORMAL
mrvette = hopefully between the bar and shocks I will be able to release the hounds!

Last edited by 69bones; 03-28-2015 at 07:30 AM. Reason: KYG=KYB
Old 03-28-2015, 08:13 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

I like a smooth ride, but even my Monroe Sensa tracs give more support than that! It's when you push on the front fender and the REAR of the car bounces that gets me....LOL!

One end of the car should at least stay still even if the other end gives when you lean on it several times in a row.

That video was f-u-n-n-y!

EDIT: The new shocks will be extra stiff at first (or just feel like it)....after a few trips over some downtown streets they should flex better.

Last edited by doorgunner; 03-28-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:08 PM
69bones
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '14

Now I've waited too long and read too much and I want the Bilsteins....HDs or Sports?
Old 04-03-2015, 02:41 PM
69bones
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '14

Speeddirect spreader bar ordered....anxiously waiting now.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:15 PM
69bones
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '14

Ordered KYB gas-a-just today. With a $40 rebate for the purchase of four I was at $116 delivered. For that price ( and my suspicion I will need some coin this summer for the cooling system) I bought. Mine are so bad now I am sure I will very much appreciate them for several years.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:36 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Before you start throwing money at what the problem MIGHT be, check the body mounts to make sure they are solid. When you say the whole car is bouncing...maybe it is. Really bad shocks can yield the symptoms you describe. If they are old and weak, they need to be changed (whether that is ALL of the problem or whether it's not). Bilstein's are great, but pretty expensive when compared to some basic gas shocks [don't put hydraulic shocks back on the car]. Any decent brand of gas shocks will greatly improve ride and handling. They just won't last as long as Bilstein's.

A solid car without a spreader bar does not do what your car is doing. So just adding a spreader bar is not likely to solve your problems.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:23 PM
69bones
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '14

The shocks and spreader bar should be here by the end of the month. Once they're all installed I will test drive it on my favorite route and report back.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 PM
69bones
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '14

I got the spacer bar and went to see if it's going to fit. It's supposed to be a no brainer install - bolt on with zero mods.

So this bar is going to hit the fan blades or the pulley depending on which way I mount the brackets ( up or down). It's also pushing hard on the lower radiator hose. That hose looks pretty swollen and I see the previous owner has even shielded it at rub points with plastic so it's a no brainier that it needs to be replaced.

Do the water pump, pulley, or spacer look incorrect and thereby causing my issue? The fan looks like it's in just the spot where it's supposed to be to me which would indicate I have all the right parts.

Stop laughing at the socket for a spacer! At least it's a craftsman! . (Previous owner once again.)

Name:  image-3918701914.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  256.7 KB

Name:  image-2048994692.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  281.6 KB

Name:  image-3133269949.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  237.6 KB

Name:  image-3467650091.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  242.1 KB