Sponsored by:

Windshield Wiper Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:36 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Default Windshield Wiper Questions

I'm working on the wipers on my 72 and I can't get the rebuilt motor to run on the car . I bench tested it before installation and it worked fine . Installed it in the car and it worked . Went to turn on the wipers yesterday and nothing. I tracked the problem down to the small red individual wire that goes into the wiper motor. There is now no power coming from the harness into that red wire. If I hook up a jumper wire straight from the + on the battery to the red wire going into the wiper motor it runs fine on both speeds and parks when I shut off the switch. What I need to know and I can't find it in the schematics is where does the current come from leading into that red wire ? I know there are two electrical switches that operate the wiper door . The one behind the tach and the limit switch on the firewall . Would either of them have anything to do with the power not getting to this red wire on the motor ? The limit switch checks out good . The wiring harnesses are new so I wouldn't expect a problem there and it was working.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi bjk,
Yes, the limit switch on the engine side of the firewall interrupts the flow of current to the wiper motor until the wiper door mechanism's 'arm' has depressed the switch.
The purpose of this switch is to prevent the wipers from starting before the door is FULLY open.
Push the button with your finger to see if that allows the motor to start… hopefully it's just an adjustment of the tiny plunger on the arm that needs to be done.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-14-2015, 04:19 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi bjk,
Yes, the limit switch on the engine side of the firewall interrupts the flow of current to the wiper motor until the wiper door mechanism's 'arm' has depressed the switch.
The purpose of this switch is to prevent the wipers from starting before the door is FULLY open.
Push the button with your finger to see if that allows the motor to start… hopefully it's just an adjustment of the tiny plunger on the arm that needs to be done.
Regards,
Alan
Hi Alan thanks for responding. I did check all of that today . Depressing the switch does not help and I tested the switch and it is good . The wipers work fine when I just run a jumper wire from the + terminal to the small individual red wire leading to the wiper motor with the wiper door open and the button depressed on the safety switch. I'm just not getting any current in the big red wire that feeds the red motor wire. All wires are fine since the harnesses are new. I need to know where the red wire gets it's current so I can trace it down. The schematics aren't very good . They show current coming from the fuse block to the wiper switch but they don't even show the wiper motor on my schematic.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:16 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Found the problem guys. I was able to track down where the current was coming from and it led to a defective intermittent wiper override switch. The route of the current is pretty simple if you have a good schematic . I finally found a schematic just on the wiper system. For future search use maybe it can help someone else . The current starts at the fuse link , goes through the wiper override switch ,then out to the limit switch. From there it goes to the plug on the small red wire that leads into the wiper motor. Hope this can help someone else in the future.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:14 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,251 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
Found the problem guys. I was able to track down where the current was coming from and it led to a defective intermittent wiper override switch. The route of the current is pretty simple if you have a good schematic . I finally found a schematic just on the wiper system. For future search use maybe it can help someone else . The current starts at the fuse link , goes through the wiper override switch ,then out to the limit switch. From there it goes to the plug on the small red wire that leads into the wiper motor. Hope this can help someone else in the future.
That's correct, look at the wire coded red in this Willcox diagram. The power comes from the battery, through the wiper override under the dash, then to the wiper door switch, then to the wiper motor red.

Name:  72 wiper.jpg
Views: 4113
Size:  106.9 KB
Old 05-15-2015, 01:15 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
That's correct, look at the wire coded red in this Willcox diagram. The power comes from the battery, through the wiper override under the dash, then to the wiper door switch, then to the wiper motor red.

Attachment 47885410
That's what I was looking for . Found the same information in another book. Guess I should have thought about Wilcox . Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Wiper Questions

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Questions