Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That interior
Old 06-18-2015, 01:39 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I kind of like it. Reminds me of the Scooby Doo mystery machine.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

I often wonder how many of these cars are just sitting out there waiting to be found.

Not my cup of tea but it was from another era for sure. Somebody can bring it back.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:34 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
I often wonder how many of these cars are just sitting out there waiting to be found.

Not my cup of tea but it was from another era for sure. Somebody can bring it back.
I believe it might surprise us just how many are out there waiting to be found, my 69 not so radical sat over 20 years in a garage,
The problem is after 20-30-40 ??? years these cars need restorations so the buyer has to like most or all the mods which are a personal tatse of the builder idea and skinnys the crowd who will buy it....
Old 06-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Who the hell leaves a car with an unplugged valve cover?
If the inside is like the air cleaner, the engine is toasted.

Surely a lot of effort have been poured into this thing, still the result was rather tasteless.
The airbrush work is awfull, I did better on my moped when I was 14, and the interior is tacky, no shape, just a flat thick padding.

I've seen many magnificent 70's custom Vette, with outrageous paint scheme, gold plating and whatnot, this one just hurt my eyes.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:14 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Denpo
Who the hell leaves a car with an unplugged valve cover?
If the inside is like the air cleaner, the engine is toasted.

Surely a lot of effort have been poured into this thing, still the result was rather tasteless.
The airbrush work is awfull, I did better on my moped when I was 14, and the interior is tacky, no shape, just a flat thick padding.

I've seen many magnificent 70's custom Vette, with outrageous paint scheme, gold plating and whatnot, this one just hurt my eyes.
Not disagreeing with your right to your opinions but keep in mind at the time it was built it was typical and some of the work is great, we do not have pictures of your moped murals to compare it to... no one has to like anything but man, bash the hell outta it
Customs are made to please the builder for example some people will find your hoodscoop the end all to be all overs will not like it at all and find it trendy.
Same with things on my build and we do not care what others think we build customs to please ourselves but geez...as a person who mods cars you sure seem critical of some other cats build....."tacky" "tasteless" people will say that about our builds....

PS:
Look...someone feels it's a 10K car...not me but someone....

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-21-2015 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add PS
Old 06-22-2015, 12:10 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Not disagreeing with your right to your opinions but keep in mind at the time it was built it was typical and some of the work is great, we do not have pictures of your moped murals to compare it to... no one has to like anything but man, bash the hell outta it
Customs are made to please the builder for example some people will find your hoodscoop the end all to be all overs will not like it at all and find it trendy.
Same with things on my build and we do not care what others think we build customs to please ourselves but geez...as a person who mods cars you sure seem critical of some other cats build....."tacky" "tasteless" people will say that about our builds....

PS:
Look...someone feels it's a 10K car...not me but someone....
I knew you'd give me a hard time for those words.
That's why I tried hard to find it some redeeming values, and I couldn't.
Blame the culture shock, I grew in a country where confronting opinions is seen as a sane/good thing and I know it's not always seen likewise everywhere, or at least to different level.
If someone would come and criticizing any of my mods, beyond the right to disagree, given the critics are backed by arguments that make sense, I'd love to discuss the perceived issues.

Obviously I'm a big custom Corvette fan, would it be a mako replica, a 70's Shaft-Mobile or a wagon, I always give them a chance to win my heart.
Maybe if I explain why I dislike it I will sound less cruel.

Airbrush: Typical case of unskilled painter tackling an ambitious drawing. I have a few diapos, somewhere, of my custom moped. I minimized freehand, maximized the use of stencil and it turned out rather ok. I'd love to show you the pic, if only I knew in which country they are.
Colors: Well, call me formal, but there are basic rules taught in Art schools about what colors goes well together. Those don't.
Patterns: Sure, why not, when they energize the existing shape, or create new one. Here, it's all random, it clutters the shape of the car.
It's like the door jamb and brake booster paint, it's just random shape for the sake of not letting a single area untouched.
I already talked about the interior.

Maybe it's because I wasn't born at the right time nor the right place to experience firsthand this custom culture that I'm lacking the respect, to my eyes too many red flags have been raised up.

Talking about breaking the "if you got nothing nice to say" rules, it's not like I'm replying to a proud owner showing of his new creation, it's just an old derelict uncared C3 on Ebay.

I hope I got my case explained.

Note: Writing in English is not a natural process for me and when I'm tired I just give up on trying not to sound ceremonious. Sounding normal and relaxed take me too many rewrites.
So, if anything I wrote sound like an attempt to trigger a flamewar, give it the benefit of the doubt.

Peace and pinstripes.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:52 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Paint it solid black and it'd look really good. Well, the interior would have to go.

I installed 4.56 gears in my old RAIV T/A drag car with 29" slicks. One day I decided to take it on the street and put on the 255/60's. I think 55 mph was 3500 rpm. Ugg..
Old 06-22-2015, 10:04 AM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ1AZ
"This is your vette on peyote..."
Old 06-22-2015, 10:23 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Denpo
I knew you'd give me a hard time for those words.
That's why I tried hard to find it some redeeming values, and I couldn't.
Blame the culture shock, I grew in a country where confronting opinions is seen as a sane/good thing and I know it's not always seen likewise everywhere, or at least to different level.
If someone would come and criticizing any of my mods, beyond the right to disagree, given the critics are backed by arguments that make sense, I'd love to discuss the perceived issues.

Obviously I'm a big custom Corvette fan, would it be a mako replica, a 70's Shaft-Mobile or a wagon, I always give them a chance to win my heart.
Maybe if I explain why I dislike it I will sound less cruel.

Airbrush: Typical case of unskilled painter tackling an ambitious drawing. I have a few diapos, somewhere, of my custom moped. I minimized freehand, maximized the use of stencil and it turned out rather ok. I'd love to show you the pic, if only I knew in which country they are.
Colors: Well, call me formal, but there are basic rules taught in Art schools about what colors goes well together. Those don't.
Patterns: Sure, why not, when they energize the existing shape, or create new one. Here, it's all random, it clutters the shape of the car.
It's like the door jamb and brake booster paint, it's just random shape for the sake of not letting a single area untouched.
I already talked about the interior.

Maybe it's because I wasn't born at the right time nor the right place to experience firsthand this custom culture that I'm lacking the respect, to my eyes too many red flags have been raised up.

Talking about breaking the "if you got nothing nice to say" rules, it's not like I'm replying to a proud owner showing of his new creation, it's just an old derelict uncared C3 on Ebay.

I hope I got my case explained.

Note: Writing in English is not a natural process for me and when I'm tired I just give up on trying not to sound ceremonious. Sounding normal and relaxed take me too many rewrites.
So, if anything I wrote sound like an attempt to trigger a flamewar, give it the benefit of the doubt.

Peace and pinstripes.
If this forum subscribed to a "if you got nothing nice to say don't say anything" rule then posts would drop about 70%

While I was born and raised in the USA I do not have a great process of the English language either,
I didn't take it that you wanna start a war we are just talking like we would at a car show,
I wasn't giving you a hard time but rather poking fun at the bitter irony all that custom bashing came from a fellow making a custom that is very personal and will only appeal to a narrow crowd.

I defend your right to build your car your way the same way I defend the owner of this threads car right to build it, I will not defend this cars each modification you know I do not like murals or the headlights on this car but many old school customs were done this same way with no regards to things like what some art school thinks, and the most beautiful murals are freehand not stencil which are generic and flat looking, see, we have total different opinions on that and it's okay.
I am getting the impression you will only like the car YOU customize and that is okay too but in that vein it's just as okay for me to get a real chuckle from it all...I simply do not take any of this serious at all.

Another irony is on this threads car, lets pretend the interior is still basically stock and the paint doesn't count, lets say the worn out paint is one solid color, I saw a thread not long ago of a car with the same basic body mods the "Motion phase style" Dazun Z car headlights, flares etc and the car is hailed how great it looks how wonderful it would be to restore it,
I have seen a lot of cars posted here get really bashed and trashed hard with nothing more that skin deep reasons so yeah, I get a big laugh from that.

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Paint it solid black and it'd look really good. Well, the interior would have to go.

I installed 4.56 gears in my old RAIV T/A drag car with 29" slicks. One day I decided to take it on the street and put on the 255/60's. I think 55 mph was 3500 rpm. Ugg..
Even though I really do not care for Motion cars I see this as being a stunning way to build a really cool Motion Phase looking car, paint it like motion did, fix the interior it would be sweet.

Lowest gear I have driven was 4.11 and I hated it...
Old 06-22-2015, 10:32 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

No, No, No, the color makes me want to retch. The so-called artsy bodywork is a hodgepodge of other car's styles. Yuch!
Old 06-22-2015, 10:50 AM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

$10K eh?

To each his own. For me, hell no (and I'm a child of the 60's/70's)
Old 06-22-2015, 11:29 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
...And how many Molly Hatchet Frazetta album covers got sprayed on car hoods years ago...
Yikes, I actually had a Frank Frazetta mural painted on the L88 scoop of one of my cars in 1978. Wonder how many people left alive get that reference?

Regarding this thing, it's pretty hideous as it sits, but I think it could be "massaged" in a refurb to look like a pretty cool throwback of the Motion/Corvette Summer era.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:30 AM
C3_ERROR
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

Why do people turn a thread about a car into a thread about themselves and opinions. If you do want to write 3 paragraph love letters to each other do it over PM.

As for the car, I'm feeling it. Normally I would say burn it but something about this reminds me of my childhood matchbox/hot wheels cars.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I think 2 or 3K for it and it coud be a nice Corvette once worked over. It will take a lot of $$$ to un-F&*k it. Would be worth saving.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:24 PM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice!
Somebody spent a ton of money on that thing once upon a time. To bad the paint is destroyed, it would of made one hell of a nice retro cruiser.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:43 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by C3_ERROR
Why do people turn a thread about a car into a thread about themselves and opinions. If you do want to write 3 paragraph love letters to each other do it over PM.

As for the car, I'm feeling it. Normally I would say burn it but something about this reminds me of my childhood matchbox/hot wheels cars.

Wasn't this thread posted to get "opinions" on this car????
Seems it's doing just what it was posted to do good or bad people sure are posting their "opinions"...I find it a very fun thread.
It's what forums are all about posting ones opinions and thoughts and in some cases some people like you get off scolding others...and you did the very thing you are dissing posting your opinions about others and not taking your issues to PM.... Pot meet kettle....

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-22-2015 at 01:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Another time capsule on fleabay

Old 06-22-2015, 01:34 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Can you imagine how bad the inside of that car smells??? Cause you know it leaked!
Old 06-22-2015, 06:39 PM
silver79
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guys this car could a motion GT???
Old 06-22-2015, 06:45 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by silver79
Guys this car could a motion GT???
A motion built car?!?!?!?
a few people mentioned that...
considering when and where it was built I would not be surprised if the parts are motion...but the motions that fetch high dollars are the ones built in house by motion with full on documentation which so far are pretty well accounted for...in a way....

Quick Reply: Another time capsule on fleabay