Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 Connector behind glovebox what for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 12:48 AM
dobedave
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 78 Connector behind glovebox what for?

Enclosed picture of a plug-in connector when I took out my glove

box there is nothing plugged into it and I cannot find the mating plug also I can't find it in my wiring diagram. Anyone know what this might be for? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:57 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by dobedave
Enclosed picture of a plug-in connector when I took out my glove

box there is nothing plugged into it and I cannot find the mating plug also I can't find it in my wiring diagram. Anyone know what this might be for? Thanks for any help.
I believe it is for the light at the top of the Center console
Old 12-09-2015, 05:16 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 717 Likes on 465 Posts

Enclosed picture of a plug-in connector when I took out my glove box there is nothing plugged into it and I cannot find the mating plug also I can't find it in my wiring diagram. Anyone know what this might be for? Thanks for any help.
In 1978, RPO ZX2 was a convenience group that included passenger footwell and spare tire lighting. I can check my 78 later (it is still dark out) where I have the interior disassembled and see if the wire color code is same as yours. But I see some electrical tape where there shouldn't be so it leaves it suspect like someone added something. Also check the spare tire area for the light to determine if your model included RPO ZX2. The factory may have included the connector in the harness but not the device (light fixture) if RPO ZX2 was not ordered by the original buyer.

The timing unit is located in that same area (passenger side) but it is an orange box with a small circuit board on the inside.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:04 AM
dobedave
Instructor

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
In 1978, RPO ZX2 was a convenience group that included passenger footwell and spare tire lighting. I can check my 78 later (it is still dark out) where I have the interior disassembled and see if the wire color code is same as yours. But I see some electrical tape where there shouldn't be so it leaves it suspect like someone added something. Also check the spare tire area for the light to determine if your model included RPO ZX2. The factory may have included the connector in the harness but not the device (light fixture) if RPO ZX2 was not ordered by the original buyer.

The timing unit is located in that same area (passenger side) but it is an orange box with a small circuit board on the inside.

Hope this helps.
Please do this for me one wire is dark blue and the other is a lighter blue plus red hot wire I will check the red wire for voltage today, thanks

Last edited by dobedave; 12-09-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:09 AM
dobedave
Instructor

Hope this helps.
It has the yellow box hanging there in the same place as a connector I'll have to check to see if it has the connector on it, all I can see right now is that in it has a bolthole on it I'll dig further into it today.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:27 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Please do this for me one wire is dark blue and the other is a lighter blue plus red hot wire I will check the red wire for voltage today, thanks
I'll bet you get no sound out of your front (or rear) passenger side speaker. It is your passenger side speaker plug...dark blue/light blue. Apparently it depends on your radio type,

AM/FM Radio...that connector is not used
AM/FM Stereo...used for right side speakers
AM/FM Stereo with rear speakers...used for rear right side

The glove box is black/orange and the courtesy is orange/white.

Last edited by hunt4cleanair; 12-09-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:34 PM
dobedave
Instructor

I'll bet you get no sound out of your front (or rear) passenger side speaker. It is your passenger side speaker plug...dark blue/light blue. Apparently it depends on your radio type,

AM/FM Radio...that connector is not used
AM/FM Stereo...used for right side speakers
AM/FM Stereo with rear speakers...used for rear right side

The glove box is black/orange and the courtesy is orange/white.
You were right passenger-side speaker is not working and I have still not found the connector to plug into it, guess I'll take off the speaker grill to help find it, on the timing light that you said its just hanging there what does it do? And I can find no place to bolt it to.
also what is this & what does it do?
Thanks for your help the PO sure screwed the Wiring up. Not to mention they glued a Sony stereo radio in the gauge panel, I'll have to cut it out with a Rotary carbide bit.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:17 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

You were right passenger-side speaker is not working and I have still not found the connector to plug into it, guess I'll take off the speaker grill to help find it, on the timing light that you said its just hanging there what does it do? And I can find no place to bolt it to.

Also what is this & what does it do (the orange box)?
The orange box is the courtesy lamp timer. It times out after 30 seconds and the lights go out within the car and at the rear spare tire under the rearend. It usually is taped onto the wiring harness on the passenger side up around the glove box.

If you have rear speakers, it probably plugs into the rear wire harness assembly that would have dkblue/ltblue wire assembly that routes to the rear of the interior.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:25 AM
dobedave
Instructor

The orange box is the courtesy lamp timer. It times out after 30 seconds and the lights go out within the car and at the rear spare tire under the rearend. It usually is taped onto the wiring harness on the passenger side up around the glove box.

If you have rear speakers, it probably plugs into the rear wire harness assembly that would have dkblue/ltblue wire assembly that routes to the rear of the interior.
It has rear speakers but the drivers front works as well as both rears only the pass speaker does not play, this is a mess, thanks for the help. Do you or anybody what the other pic is?
Old 12-10-2015, 07:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Do you or anybody what the other pic is?
What other pic?

All questions/concerns have been answered.

DUB
Old 12-10-2015, 08:09 PM
dobedave
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
What other pic?

All questions/concerns have been answered.

DUB
This one

Get notified of new replies

To 78 Connector behind glovebox what for?

Quick Reply: 78 Connector behind glovebox what for?