Sponsored by:

Air Cleaner ID

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 12:12 AM
zepaz
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Cleaner ID

Hey, sorry if this post is in the wrong spot. I'm looking to identify the year this aircleaner is correct for: http://imgur.com/a/rD6jo

I got it with some other parts. It's definitely GM (has an AC logo), it has a fair sized dimple in the for clearance on the back side for the distributor (so might be post 74 HEI?) The dual snorkels make me think it's from a performance car. I was told it was Corvette but not sure.

Looks too old to be C4, too new to be C2. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Last edited by zepaz; 01-15-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:38 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

AC is only the manufacturer of the air filter element. I don't recognize the air cleaner but can say no C3 air cleaners were that color. It looks as if it's been painted. Have you looked for a part number on it?
Old 01-15-2016, 08:30 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Not a Corvette air cleaner. It's similar a the 70-72 air cleaner, but on those the snorkels aren't angled, they come straight out. The profile of the lid (which was chrome plated on 70-72's) is wrong too.

To me, it looks more like the air cleaner from a late 60's to 70 or 71 GM big car, a Cadillac, Buick or Olds. By 73, I think all GM cars had the temperature control flapper in the left (driver's side) snorkel.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I'm thinking the same as gb.
This is as close as I can get.
The fact that the wing nut isn't in a recess seems to be unusual.
Regards,
Alan

Look at the lid not the body.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:57 PM
zepaz
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
AC is only the manufacturer of the air filter element. I don't recognize the air cleaner but can say no C3 air cleaners were that color. It looks as if it's been painted. Have you looked for a part number on it?
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Sorry I wasn't clear on it before, the AC logo is not on the filter element; it's on the little plastic valve(?) that's permanently attached to the metal base. The part I'm referring to is visible in pic #3, between the cutout for the carb & the airfilter element.

I am very confident it has been repainted and there are no visible part numbers.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:00 PM
zepaz
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
I'm thinking the same as gb.
This is as close as I can get.
The fact that the wing nut isn't in a recess seems to be unusual.
Regards,
Alan

Look at the lid not the body.
Hi Alan. Thanks for your reply. I was tripped up by the profile of the lid too. Most of the Chevy cleaners I've seen before have the recess for the nut you mentioned. Do you know what type of vehicle that pic you shared is?

Last edited by zepaz; 01-15-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:04 PM
zepaz
4th Gear

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Not a Corvette air cleaner. It's similar a the 70-72 air cleaner, but on those the snorkels aren't angled, they come straight out. The profile of the lid (which was chrome plated on 70-72's) is wrong too.

To me, it looks more like the air cleaner from a late 60's to 70 or 71 GM big car, a Cadillac, Buick or Olds. By 73, I think all GM cars had the temperature control flapper in the left (driver's side) snorkel.

Thanks for your input. I was a bit tripped up by the lack of the Auto Therm AC valve/stovepipe from the manifolds too. I figured it must be early 70s because it doesn't seem to have a lot of smog equipment. It does have an odd valve looking thing (pic 3, in the base, between the filter element and hole for the carb) that looks like a vacuum hose may attach to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Air Cleaner ID

Quick Reply: Air Cleaner ID