Sponsored by:

C3 Alarm 72 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 01:17 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C3 Alarm 72 convertible

I have always wanted a 68-72 convertible C3. My dream came true the other day. I bought a 72 convertible. I will get it in about 3 weeks. One thing I just heard about briefly is the alarm / horn system on this car. And I heard that it is activated with a key in the rear of the vehicle. I know nothing about the alarm, how it works, or its effectiveness. What can the seasoned experts on this forum tell me about this?
Old 03-15-2016, 07:24 AM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

it is just a horn that sounds if the door or hood are opened and that is if it works, remember it is 44 years old, and congrats on your new toy
The following users liked this post:
GlenJack (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 07:50 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

If it still works, you turn the key between the tail lights 90 degrees to set the alarm, then if the doors or hood is opened it makes a horn (not the same horn as the horn button) blow until you turn it off or run the battery down. The horn is mounted up under the rear in front of the driver's side taillight. Both the horn and the switch are fairly high failure items since they are exposed to moisture and dirt, and both are fairly hard to get to. There's also a relay mounted in the jack storage compartment.
GlenJack (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 08:03 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by GlenJack
...What can the seasoned experts on this forum tell me about this?
Is there an owner's manual with your 72? If not, order one.

Congrats.

GlenJack (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 08:55 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
If it still works, you turn the key between the tail lights 90 degrees to set the alarm, then if the doors or hood is opened it makes a horn (not the same horn as the horn button) blow until you turn it off or run the battery down. The horn is mounted up under the rear in front of the driver's side taillight. Both the horn and the switch are fairly high failure items since they are exposed to moisture and dirt, and both are fairly hard to get to. There's also a relay mounted in the jack storage compartment.
Great info. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2016, 08:56 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by blue by you
it is just a horn that sounds if the door or hood are opened and that is if it works, remember it is 44 years old, and congrats on your new toy
Thanks.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:57 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Is there an owner's manual with your 72? If not, order one.

Congrats.

Great Idea. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2016, 09:35 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi GJ,
A NEW old 72 for you!!! Great!
And a CONVERTIBLE!!!
I'll bet you're excited!!!
There was an implication that the alarm systems are difficult to get to work or rarely work…. while on some cars the system may have fallen into disrepair, owners that want to use the system find that it works or generally have little problem getting it to operate as it was intended.
Regards,
Alan
GlenJack (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 10:06 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi GJ,
A NEW old 72 for you!!! Great!
And a CONVERTIBLE!!!
I'll bet you're excited!!!
There was an implication that the alarm systems are difficult to get to work or rarely work…. while on some cars the system may have fallen into disrepair, owners that want to use the system find that it works or generally have little problem getting it to operate as it was intended.
Regards,
Alan
Yeah, pretty excited for sure. I have been putting this off for so many years (like 25) and taking care of business first. My wife says, "you can have it under one condition, 'no regret, shame or silly guilt. you are a good provider, generous and hard working.'" Then she says ... "One caveat--don't kill yourself." Ha! Love that woman. So yes, very excited!

Thanks for the info on the alarm and the kind words.

Jack
Old 03-16-2016, 07:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have always wanted a 68-72 convertible C3. My dream came true the other day. I bought a 72 convertible. I will get it in about 3 weeks. One thing I just heard about briefly is the alarm / horn system on this car. And I heard that it is activated with a key in the rear of the vehicle. I know nothing about the alarm, how it works, or its effectiveness. What can the seasoned experts on this forum tell me about this?
Glad to read you finally got your dream car... I know you have to be STOKED!!

AS for the effectiveness of this alarm system....it is nothing more than a noise maker and a potential battery draining circuit. It provides NO other system shut downs... SO if the wire to the horn was cut or yanked out....the car still could be cranked and driven away.

Compared to the factory security systems on later era Corvettes that I work on....this early design system is just that. It is much like the telegraph system back in the pioneer days that led us to cellular service today.

If you are wanting it to function....I am all for that....But I would keep it turned off. OR...you might wake up one night to a sound and find that it has gone off for no apparent reason.

DUB
GlenJack (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 07:30 PM
GlenJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
Glad to read you finally got your dream car... I know you have to be STOKED!!

AS for the effectiveness of this alarm system....it is nothing more than a noise maker and a potential battery draining circuit. It provides NO other system shut downs... SO if the wire to the horn was cut or yanked out....the car still could be cranked and driven away.

Compared to the factory security systems on later era Corvettes that I work on....this early design system is just that. It is much like the telegraph system back in the pioneer days that led us to cellular service today.

If you are wanting it to function....I am all for that....But I would keep it turned off. OR...you might wake up one night to a sound and find that it has gone off for no apparent reason.

DUB
Thanks! I love the picture of the telegraph system leading to the cell phone. LOL. I think I will probably tinker with it to see what it is all about, but maybe it would be wisest to just not have it turned on for reasons you and others have stated.

And yes .. I am STOKED!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:59 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

Congrats on your '72 vert. I'm kind of partial to them, myself. As for the alarm, mine has worked correctly since I got it in '74 and still works fine, today. But as Dub said, it's just a noise maker. Does nothing else. The only problem I've ever had with it was a switch in the driver's door that was bad. A cheap and simple fix, too. Again, enjoy your dream. Some things just take longer than others. Good luck.
Duane
GlenJack (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 10:17 PM
GlenJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Duane4238
Congrats on your '72 vert. I'm kind of partial to them, myself. As for the alarm, mine has worked correctly since I got it in '74 and still works fine, today. But as Dub said, it's just a noise maker. Does nothing else. The only problem I've ever had with it was a switch in the driver's door that was bad. A cheap and simple fix, too. Again, enjoy your dream. Some things just take longer than others. Good luck.
Duane
Thanks Duane for the info and the kind words!
Old 03-16-2016, 10:30 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

And when you get it.. my money is on the fact that it won't work... so here is a schematic to help you fix it. ;D The 72 is pretty much the same.

Congratulations on the car!

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 03-16-2016 at 10:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Willcox Corvette:
GlenJack (03-17-2016), gmfn86 (12-05-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 11:01 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

The following 2 users liked this post by Don Rickles:
GlenJack (03-17-2016), gmfn86 (12-05-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 12:05 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Congrats on the '72! My first Corvette was a '72 coupe and I'd love to be able to locate it!! My alarm on that car never did work, but I never put forth the effort to fix it - I bet most issues with the system are a fairly quick fix.
I bought a '78 Pace Car a few years ago and didn't realize it had an alarm (it's activated on the driver's door lock)...Somehow I activated it and set it off in McDonald's parking lot the second day I had it while driving it to Kentucky from Georgia...I had to get the manual out while the horn was blaring and everyone was staring, and figure out what to do! It was pretty funny...

Good luck with the new '72!
GlenJack (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 01:59 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
And when you get it.. my money is on the fact that it won't work... so here is a schematic to help you fix it. ;D The 72 is pretty much the same.

Congratulations on the car!

Hey! That's great. Thanks so much!

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Alarm 72 convertible

Old 03-17-2016, 02:00 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by SonnyAK
Congrats on the '72! My first Corvette was a '72 coupe and I'd love to be able to locate it!! My alarm on that car never did work, but I never put forth the effort to fix it - I bet most issues with the system are a fairly quick fix.
I bought a '78 Pace Car a few years ago and didn't realize it had an alarm (it's activated on the driver's door lock)...Somehow I activated it and set it off in McDonald's parking lot the second day I had it while driving it to Kentucky from Georgia...I had to get the manual out while the horn was blaring and everyone was staring, and figure out what to do! It was pretty funny...

Good luck with the new '72!
Love the story!! Hah! Thank you.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:01 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Originally Posted by War Bonnet
A picture is worth a 1000 words. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:39 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

A picture is worth a 1000 words. Thanks!

Notice the inspectors small yellow crayon markings on the back of the side maker light housing, and the back of the battery compartment tub (under the photo date)!
GlenJack (03-17-2016)

Quick Reply: C3 Alarm 72 convertible