Old 03-25-2016, 10:14 AM
80sRule
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Looking at 72 Coupe Base 4sp

I see the guides here:

http://www.corvetteonline.com/buyer-...-buyers-guide/

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

It's a base coupe, 350 200HP factory 4sp car. No P/S, no P/B, no A/C. Mille Miglia Red with Black interior owner has owned for a decade. 120k on body, about 30k on a rebuild of the numbers matching original engine (seller states: "rings, bearings, seals and valves", which sounds like a hone with rings, main and rod bearings, valve job; but will see paperwork soon). Birdcage is excellent, body is great but a factory original color repaint, interior is in excellent shape but the seats and a few other pieces have been replaced and look great. Seller states the car has Stainless Steel brakes too. Very stock car that has had a bit of love, not a true restoration, but continued care throughout the years.

This if bought, would be my second Corvette, I owned a minty 87 Corvette from 06 to 11. I've had a few supercharged Jaguars since and would love to get back into a Corvette (still keeping the XKR and XJR, selling 2 Audis). My dad owned a 63 SW 340HP and a 68 L88 Convertible (big mistake selling that...), but those left in the late 80s; he would be coming with to look as a second set of eyes and a former auto restoration guy (prewar specialty).

I know this is a relatively common, no option car, but it's very nice. What is it worth? It's listed at $16.9k from a private seller. If everything checks out, what should I pay?
Old 03-25-2016, 10:36 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 80,
I have a similar 71 car.
Many people are put off by the base motor and lack of options.
It's still a Corvette that's fun to drive and a pleasure to work on.
You really need to post more information about the car and add some pictures to enable anyone to give you a realistic idea of this car's value.
Have you seen it in person yet and have you driven it?
Do you know how to do a through inspection to see if areas of the frame or birdcage are rusty? This is REALLY the first thing to check.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Last edited by Alan 71; 03-25-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Alan,

Those tires look good on your car!

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Old 03-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Stan,
OH nooooo!
That's a picture from 2011 when I had it Flight Judged. Just Cokers!
The real tires are asleep in the basement. It's proving to be a challenge to come up with a fourth tire of the caliber of your three!
Still looking for another tire and exhaust parts. "Lord, give me patience and give it to me NOW"!!!
Car is a little apart… just the way I like it!
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-25-2016, 11:30 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Imho,...

Originally Posted by 80sRule
I see the guides here:

http://www.corvetteonline.com/buyer-...-buyers-guide/

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

It's a base coupe, 350 200HP factory 4sp car. No P/S, no P/B, no A/C. Mille Miglia Red with Black interior owner has owned for a decade. 120k on body, about 30k on a rebuild of the numbers matching original engine (seller states: "rings, bearings, seals and valves", which sounds like a hone with rings, main and rod bearings, valve job; but will see paperwork soon). Birdcage is excellent, body is great but a factory original color repaint, interior is in excellent shape but the seats and a few other pieces have been replaced and look great. Seller states the car has Stainless Steel brakes too. Very stock car that has had a bit of love, not a true restoration, but continued care throughout the years.

This if bought, would be my second Corvette, I owned a minty 87 Corvette from 06 to 11. I've had a few supercharged Jaguars since and would love to get back into a Corvette (still keeping the XKR and XJR, selling 2 Audis). My dad owned a 63 SW 340HP and a 68 L88 Convertible (big mistake selling that...), but those left in the late 80s; he would be coming with to look as a second set of eyes and a former auto restoration guy (prewar specialty).

I know this is a relatively common, no option car, but it's very nice. What is it worth? It's listed at $16.9k from a private seller. If everything checks out, what should I pay?
IMHO, pretty fair market asking price to start a discussion. I got a 68 base roadster in similar condition for a little less than 16. You can add Vintage Air, & no PS and no PB is no big deal for me and these options are over rated I think (). The biggy for me is how much rust and it looks like you are pretty well educated on what to look for with these links. And of course, condition of paint is a big plus or minus factor since paint costs so much. I do not even look at the odometer as who know how many miles these Corvettes have anyway, better indicator is riveted balljoints, riveted rotors, stress cracks in the frame, accident repair, ect. You can check completed ebay sales and Mechum to get an idea of what these might go for. And you can also add to the price what you would need to do and compare that total to what one in super condition would go for. But you likely know all of this already.

Good luck and hope this might help.

Last edited by 20mercury; 03-25-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:17 PM
ENCSDOUG
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

That's a reasonable price. I paid 16.5K for my 72 with PS, PB, PW & telescoping steering column. They wanted 19.5K and gave them an offer and a week later, they took it. Give them an offer of 14.5K and see if they bite. Good Luck!
Old 03-26-2016, 05:07 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

At a point options almost dont matter that much any more its still a clean steel bumper 4 spd vette. If you can score a decent one thats not rusted out for the teens youre doing good period.
I dont get the "Northern Auto" rebuild either either he was tight on cash or was worried about having his block decked and "ruining" it
To ea thier own

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at 72 Coupe Base 4sp

Quick Reply: Looking at 72 Coupe Base 4sp