Sponsored by:

Seat tracks

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 06:39 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Seat tracks

The seat tracks I'm having trouble separating them how u do it?
Old 04-22-2016, 07:17 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Help, please. Are you asking about removing them from the seat bottoms? or asking about physically taking them apart? You can clean and lube them without physically taking them apart.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:00 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

They are off the seats just looking for a way to separate them for cleaning and paint
Old 04-22-2016, 10:31 AM
jward486
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by croaker
They are off the seats just looking for a way to separate them for cleaning and paint
I believe there is an old thread here where a gentleman posted how to take these apart. If I remember it is a big headache and I don't think they are meant to be taken apart. As Easy Mike said you can clean them without taking them apart. Submerge them in a degreaser, rinse, dry, lube and paint. Did this with mine and they work great.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:09 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Hi Joe!

Hi Joe!

I took the seat support tracks off my 68 to replace a couple of the corroded feet. I want to say the feet are riveted onto the track channel. So when I drilled out the rivets and removed the feet, the two track channels will slide apart. There is a flat spring and round roller in each end that control the action. IMHO, unless you have to replace the feet (you can buy these from the Corvette vendors), I would not take them apart either as posted above, just clean with paint thinner and then lube them up well.

Hope this helps and double check me on this. Run the seat support track back and forth and see if the roller does not hit the foot rivet head. And if so, you have to drill out the rivet. Oh by the way, when I took mine apart I did not know the roller would come out and spent several hours looking for it when it bounced out, duh! Finally gave up made another one, ugh!

All the best!

Last edited by 20mercury; 04-22-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:28 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Clean in one piece it is then. 20 Mercurey u riding yet?
Old 04-22-2016, 11:22 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Default Yes and no, ...

Clean in one piece it is then. 20 Mercurey u riding yet?
Got the 69+radiator and new support installed in the 68BB and all put back together and then made 2 or 3, 1hr rides. Then I promptly pulled all of the interior out to install Vintage air, and work a bunch of interior to do's. Coming back together now I hope. I must be averaging 200 to 1 on wrench time vrs ride time and beginning to think I am nuts!

May not make the hot ride power tour, hmmm.... But maybe Cruising the Coast if I do not start any more new projects, ha!

How about you? The Hot Rod Power tour is coming through here.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:45 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

I saw something on that thru Baton Rouge right? A few years back they stopped at a little park by my house but I had to go to work evening shift so I missed out
Old 04-23-2016, 10:36 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Default Yep, you got it.

I saw something on that thru Baton Rouge right? A few years back they stopped at a little park by my house but I had to go to work evening shift so I missed out
They apparently go all over the country on different 6 day or so trips. And they start the next trip where they left off on the last trip. So this time, they do Gonzales, Beaumont, Austin, Dallas, Oklahoma City and Kansas City (that is close anyway). I have never been, but something to see I am told. The exact route for viewing is not published until the last minute. Hope to make part of it this time.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:16 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Don't take them apart, no need to. Mine were rusted solid.

Get yourself some Evapo-Rust from your local parts store and a paint tray.
You will need 2 or three bottles.

Just fill the tray 2/3 up and drop a set in (submerged), leave it for 24 hours and you will be amazed.
I pulled mine out, blew dry them with my compressor and painted them up...then lubed them with lots of grease and viola...work perfectly now.

Ken
Old 06-09-2016, 03:43 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Default Followup and info on seat tracks

Followup and info on seat tracks.

Finally got around to replacing the front feet on my 68 seat tracks the other day. The track was ok, a little rusted but the front and rear feet were rusted pretty thin.

So, I bought 2 front feet for the LH seat track and proceeded to take the tracks apart again. I had replaced the 2 rear feet some time back but that did not require complete disassembly.

Summary if you are considering taking your tracks apart.

1. you will need to drill out the rivets front and back holding the feet to the track. Also, my 68 feet were spot welded to the tracks so you have to hacksaw the feet off or file/grind them off without damaging the track piece. I bought the front and rear feet from Zip which comes with button head allen screws/lock nuts to replace the OEM rivets.

2. once you get the feet off and the remaining rivet head out, you can slide the round roller out with the carrier with a contained ball bearing each side. There is a roller in the front and a second in the rear and notice the track dimples the roller rides in as you remove it so you can reassemble correctly. Also the carrier has a small hole in one end that goes in the outboard end. Watch as you remove the parts as the rollers and ball bearings may pop out and roll into a remote corner which will undoubtedly be hard to find later, ha!

3. clean up and paint the outside of the track as you like.

4. reassemble and notice that you can use an existing access hole to screw together the button head allen screw and lock nut for the rear foot. However, there is no access hole for the front foot to screw it on. So, I finally concluded there was no way to assemble the seat track and then attach the front foot, so I drilled an access hole for the front foot to insert an allen wrench through to hold the button head while I attached the lock nut to hold the front foot on. I suppose you could use an allen wrench cut down, but the access hole opposite the button head allen screw seemed the easiest way to me.

Hope this might help somebody out if you have to replace the feet on your seat tracks. Also, if you just want to clean up, I would definitely use the suggestions above as taking the tracks apart is a bit of a job not to mention it would be hard to disassemble with destroying the feet in the process.
The following users liked this post:
croaker (06-09-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Seat tracks

Quick Reply: Seat tracks