Sponsored by:

Mako Shark What's it worth??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Canalroadracing
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mako Shark What's it worth??

<br >I recently aquired a 1975 Mako Shark Corvette. It's in rough shape, clear coat peeling, been sitting a long time.
The previous owner said it was one of 40 made, not sure where he got that, but it is a neat car.
I'm debating on restoring it, or selling as is.
I have some pics but not sure how to post them.

Thanks <br > <br >

Last edited by Canalroadracing; 04-28-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

It's probably worth what you paid for it. The Mako kit might add interest for those so inclined, but is not likely to increase the value of the car unless you can confirm something out of the ordinary with the install.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:42 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Hit your edit button then click advnaced-the icon looks like a paperclip to the right of the smiley, click it.

That should bring up pics from your pc. Hit browse which will bring your files up, click on your pic that you selected, hit "upload", then "submit" as if you replied

Or just post again after you hit reply box and do it that way

Last edited by cv67; 04-28-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:28 PM
Canalroadracing
3rd Gear

Thanks for the help.
Any idea on the value?
Old 04-28-2016, 09:45 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Saw this one on Facebook a couple weeks ago. That would be a fun project for the right guy.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:24 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

The value of that car when you bought it is exactly what you paid for it.

The value when you sell it will be exactly what someone else will pay for it. If you can't resell it, your price is too high. Pretty simple, really.

P.S. We can banter 'value' numbers around all day long...but those mean absolutely NOTHING. To sell it, you have to find someone who wants it. Then, what they are willing to pay for it is its "present value". Book values and estimates are worthless, IMO>

If you bought the car because you like it, great...enjoy the car. If you bought it for resale...good luck.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 04-29-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:34 AM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Looks like a John Silva. Forum member Bats13 can probably fill you in.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:21 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Too many unknowns..BB, SB, A/T, 4 spd. interior, why was it parked, rust, etc.??
Old 04-29-2016, 07:54 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

To be honest, the car looks better than you described prior to posting the pics. You gotta get rid of the screen door curly-cue grills.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:28 AM
rdroket
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
To be honest, the car looks better than you described prior to posting the pics. You gotta get rid of the screen door curly-cue grills.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:09 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

THE POSITIVE: It is a very unique car. I've seen a car like this locally that has been very nicely restored and is a real hit at all the shows.
He has A LOT of money wrapped up into this car.

THE REST:
I agree with others. This is an odd one. To THAT person who has looking for THIS body treatment applied to THIS car, the car is probably worth 'more'. To everyone else, this is an 'elective surgery' that will need to be, at some level, reversed.

I will offer that it took someone a not-insignificant amount of money to make the car look this way. The fact that it has been clearly sitting and is not showing huge bondo cracks or other 'bubba' treatment is testament to the quality of the build.

The key to these cars, though, is what lurks beneath. If the frame is shot, your decision will be made pretty quickly. Unless you decide to find a roller (I've seen VERY nice restored rollers on this forum for less than $5k) and put the body onto a new chassis.

But...in the end...you will still have a car with a limited audience. And that is the point that has been made by others. This car will appeal to ONE PERSON (in 100? In 1,000? More?) among the humans that are looking at vintage Corvettes at any given time. It's tough enough to sell a vintage Corvette...now you need to please THAT ONE PERSON or wait for another ONE PERSON to come down the path.

Without a purchaser, the 'value' a seller places on something...well...you know...

Special car that has a special place in the world. But just like any other old Corvette...if you go into the thing expecting to make money, you're probably not going to impress yourself.

Last edited by keithinspace; 04-29-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:01 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I would be "that" buyer I love cool oddball stuff
One problem I dont have two pennies to rub together

Think that one is worth going through how many you think are running around, Id say youll be the only one

That is pure 70s goodness right there!!!

Last edited by cv67; 04-29-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:22 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,454 Likes on 3,995 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

If the frame is good, get it running and enjoy it. Its unique and cool. It has a tilt front end so thats cool too. But yaaaa, the screen door curly cue in the grill has to go.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:46 PM
SinfulC3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with everyone... well except I instantly thought of the old wrought iron gates with that front end. I'd ditch that but to each their own.
Cool one off kind of car, if nothing else, it will be a conversation starter.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:56 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
THE POSITIVE: It is a very unique car. I've seen a car like this locally that has been very nicely restored and is a real hit at all the shows. Rick Walker Mako in Virginia He has A LOT of money wrapped up into this car.
He used to post on another forum as 454Can-Am. You might google it. Very nice car.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:24 PM
GTOMike06
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you got scammed and your gonna lose all your money on it. Being the nice guy I am I'll take it off your hands cheap....

Honestly I love the cars. If I ever find one for a fair price I'd buy it and let it sit in the shop till I had the money to mess with it. I've loved em ever since I was a little kid my dad had a poster of the gm one with some 60s girl posing with it.

I like this rear bumper better on this style than the pointed gm one and i like 68 firebirds and this has the same taillights but I like the hideaway licence plate and the flaps that pop up when you hit the brakes on the gm version. Plus the gm has the all aluminum zl1 motor in it.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Canalroadracing
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by rdroket
Yes, needs a grille!!!
I like it, but also have a few other projects taking up space.
Might list it for sale, maybe eBay.
Just trying to get a realistic idea of what I should ask for it.
It's a 350, auto, will start and run. Needs brake lines
Interior is rough... Crush velvet from the seventies is a $3000 car? $5000 car?
$7000?
Any opinion is appreciated. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Mako Shark What's it worth??

Old 04-29-2016, 04:24 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 604 Likes on 490 Posts

This were you need to find the right buyer. I wouldn't pay $1000 for it even if it was rust free.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:50 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

looks like a Silva car to me, ( exception I will get to ) the motion built makos or maco as he spelled it are accounted for, salva sold a lot of turn keys and both silva and motion sold lots of parts then people were knocking molds right and left even my ex buddy just sold several kits so many builders were selling even more parts so there are more than 40 in the world,
Exception: bohannon did a maco kit that had the higher scoop and reworked front hood dips and 73-79 side vents like your car.

I have been a mako kit fan over 40 years and have a front clip in my bat cave, but these kits had their cons,

if you look at any mako there is too much air over the tires really bad over the front tires, some look like pro gassers taking off,

this was tackled in the 70's by dropping the car into the weeds cutting coils but modern builders and all the super high end restro mods have made that shade tree fix look a bit hack job, a combination of lowing the suspension and fender work is needed for a good well finished look.

the rear louvers was a major hurdle, many times 70's builders hack jobbed this by gluing glass or plexi in from the bottom, no way to clean the glass correctly from the outside, I have seen people use little strips of glass between each louver with some success.

how much is it worth? get past the curmudgeons who will call it worthless just because they do not like it,

"worth" that depends mostly on if the buyer is savvy to c3's and modded c3's or not,
I see a project custom car like this sell for 2500 or less ( and not be worth it ) and see people ask 15-20 k for a car like this, I have seen a guy ask well over 100K for a mako but he's asked that for years and still owns it.
I would believe it would be tough for rick to get anywhere close to his investment for his restored 76 mako show car and it's ready to go, but his return is not the selling price it's the fun he has with it.

The reasons for my thinking what I do is any custom has a skinny market the mako is a radical re body with lots of pros and cons most of the makos that pop up are like yours basket cases needing restoration, silva was known for building his turn key makos on wrecked cars and in the 70's lots of wrecked c3's became customs, so forget the custom body what is the condition of the frame, bird cage, pillars , etc etc, a person can buy a restored c3 far cheaper than restoring one,
A 75 even pristine isnt the most sought after year ( sorry 75 fans and owners )

I would just about bet your car has some rust issues, it's a c3 thing.
If you restore this car you will in all likely hood have a lot more in it than even the most die hard mako fan would ever pay you for it,
If you are not in love with the car and the kit do not tackle restoring it, flip it "as-is" and take into account when pricing it that it's a 75 and what condition the other stuff is in....

I want to add while I am a big custom fan and believe that a modded c3 is always worth less than it's stock counterpart is hogwash I am not so silly as to think a car like ricks mako or some wide body or my 69 is everyones cup o tea, when we build a custom it's our idea of what we want, and seldom if ever is it 100% what the next cat wants, perhaps someone can get all lucky and run their car though some high end auction of the rich and clueless and get many times the going rate but that isnt a good gauge for the masses to place a value on their customs,

Lots of guys on here are building some high dollar restro modded c3's and modded c3's is bigger than stock at the moment but I do not believe many or any of the savvy cats here believe their car would be worth anywhere close to how much they invested, like I said before the pay back is the enjoyment we get from the car, that might be showing it, racing it or even keeping it as breathtakingly pristine as possible like Alans fine example.

If the rust isnt too bad on yours I would be happy with 8K really happy with 10K and past that a big old happy dance.....

Last edited by The13Bats; 04-29-2016 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typos from hell
Old 04-29-2016, 08:02 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 431 Likes on 309 Posts

keithinspace, I immediately thought of Rick Walker's car too when I saw the OP's pics. I may direct him here to see if he has any input.

Quick Reply: Mako Shark What's it worth??