Sponsored by:

Steel Shields

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 07:29 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Bangkok Dean
Now that's a cool idea (pun intended) On my car I just rotate the shields so looking down the clamps are not visible plus it gives the shields a little more ground clearance.

BTW nice looking car.
Thanks! I do believe the shields dress it up!
Old 05-23-2016, 11:56 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I have the cobra stuff shields and they work just fine for me. The only thing that I don't like about them is they are a few inches too short on the rear but that is the coolest part of the pipe and I nor my other half have ever suffered any burns. Good value for the money, imho.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:56 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
I would be concerned if you walk away from the car and someone accidently gets against them...Law suit waiting to happen.
A lawsuit? A lawsuit? Did I read that correctly?

Not only do I need to be concerned with what I do when I'm driving my car, I now need to worry about what my CAR is doing when I'm NOT driving it?

I'm not saying to do anything stupid (deploy hot car at a PreSchool "Bring Your Awesome Car In to Show Everyone" Day, as an example), but folks need to get a handle on themselves.

Why don't you talk to that jackass that has the huge trailer hitch sticking out of the truck receiver even though it is so rusted that it's obvious he hasn't towed anything in the life of the truck? I've cracked my shin on one or two of those.

And what about the wienerschnitzel that has those pointy things sticking off the front lug nuts of his dually? The nice 3 inch long ones are awesome in the grocery parking lot.

And what about the butt-hat that drives around the Jeep in my area with a huge "Shocker" symbol (look it up) on his spare tire cover? The one that I've had to tell my elementary school kids "Don't worry about it" when they ask me what it means?

A lawsuit. Freaking perfect. Like I didn't have enough things to worry about.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:26 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
A lawsuit? A lawsuit? Did I read that correctly?

Not only do I need to be concerned with what I do when I'm driving my car, I now need to worry about what my CAR is doing when I'm NOT driving it?

I'm not saying to do anything stupid (deploy hot car at a PreSchool "Bring Your Awesome Car In to Show Everyone" Day, as an example), but folks need to get a handle on themselves.

Why don't you talk to that jackass that has the huge trailer hitch sticking out of the truck receiver even though it is so rusted that it's obvious he hasn't towed anything in the life of the truck? I've cracked my shin on one or two of those.

And what about the wienerschnitzel that has those pointy things sticking off the front lug nuts of his dually? The nice 3 inch long ones are awesome in the grocery parking lot.

And what about the butt-hat that drives around the Jeep in my area with a huge "Shocker" symbol (look it up) on his spare tire cover? The one that I've had to tell my elementary school kids "Don't worry about it" when they ask me what it means?

A lawsuit. Freaking perfect. Like I didn't have enough things to worry about.
Perfect , you just made my point. You admitted that you have cracked your leg on someones trailer hitch ball because you don't watch where you are going . There are plenty of people like you that are a lawyers dream . A severe burn on a childs leg is also a lawyers dream . I don't care what you do with your car but when the law suit is brought against you , I'm betting that it will be you that cares.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:27 PM
Karfever
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fjc1982
Yeah I looked at the Cobra Shields as well, even talked with the fabricator. He point blank told me they wouldn't work correctly so I went this route. Definitely not cheap, made me think about it for a while but I'm happy with the decision, worth the saved tears in my book.
IMHO the Cobra Shield I bought are a bad decision. The will not fit the Hooker side pipes correctly and frankly are a somewhat complicated design with the brass nuts on the clamps etc. I hope somebody wants them as I paid over 300 for this lesson!

As for the legal problems with side pipes.....I wonder what has happened to individual responsibility. I always told my kids don't touch when at car shows.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:39 AM
twinpack
Drifting

Received 349 Likes on 155 Posts

Default Metal shield

Originally Posted by Karfever
Where are these purchased?
You can get them from Wilcox or pretty much any corvette parts vendor. I got mine off eBay.
The following users liked this post:
Karfever (05-24-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 08:05 PM
FJC
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple of pics from a thermal camera...

Old 06-07-2016, 04:59 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I have polished stainless side pipes and was concerned about my daughters getting burned. I installed a set of Classic Pipes chambered inserts and before the install I wrapped the insert with a fiberglass blanket then wrapped over it with header tape. Slid into the pipe with no problem. After driving a few times I checked the pipe temp with each stop in the driveway at idle with a temp gun and got readings at the cent of door of 75* to 95* at idle at different times. Forward at the collectors at idle the temp was 140* and up.

Quick Reply: Steel Shields