Sponsored by:

Re-installing missing A/C components 75 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:11 AM
LRB
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re-installing missing A/C components 75 convertible

My 75 convertible was a A/C car, but the PO removed all the components under the hood. I was thinking about ordering the missing components and installing instead of going down the Vintage Air route. I know it my not cool as well, but the thought of pulling the dash completely out is not something I look forward too. Anyone had any experience re-installing a system?
Old 06-29-2016, 10:55 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Should be straight forward. The AIM shows all of it and lists the original part numbers for what you will need.
The following users liked this post:
LRB (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 03:08 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

The problem is with the age of our cars, you don't know what else doesn't work behind the dash, vacuum actuators and the like. Just sayin'. You may have to pull everything out anyway, but being original is good.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by LRB
My 75 convertible was a A/C car, but the PO removed all the components under the hood. I was thinking about ordering the missing components and installing instead of going down the Vintage Air route. I know it my not cool as well, but the thought of pulling the dash completely out is not something I look forward too. Anyone had any experience re-installing a system?
YES...I have done exactly what you plan on doing.

I removed the evaporator core case...cleaned out all the leaves and crap..installed a NEW evaporator core...and also installed the VIR eliminator conversion while the evaporator case out out on the bench.

Installed a new blower motor and do not worry about the 'supposed upgrade' by using a 1985 Corvette fan motor in place of the original.

I also installed a new condenser....hose assembly and had the factory air compressor rebuilt from the guy in Palm Springs California.

The heater core box was cleaned and new heater core installed..and I changed the hot/cold door in the heater box to the later design.. so when I installed the vacuum switch that cuts off teh hot water...your roller wheel on the left side of your controls will still have the hot water shut off even if you go to NORM on the A/C settings....when the.installed a new hot water shut off valve.

All interior ducts were cleaned and new foam seals installed and the system works VERY GOOD. The air flows VERY WELL and strong

If you do not believe me...contact '1974CorvetteJimCr' here on the Corvette Forum and ask him directly. He will tell you that in the heat of the summer in the Carolinas...he can sell ice cream out of his car.

Keep in mind that the complete interior was covered in the Dynamat Extreme and also the DynaPad.

This system can cool you well and I can not see why you should not get the same results as Jim can tell you he has in his Corvette that I did for him.

134a Freon was also used in this system...and his Corvette has the twin SPAL electric fans that come on when the A/C is requested to be used.

I have no doubts that if I had another customer who wanted their A/C system working again...that I could not achieve the same or very close to the same results as long as that customer was willing to COVER all of the other 'bases' in the process.

Kinda hard to get in interior nice and comfortable when the radiant heat from the floorboards, firewall and transmission tunnel cause it to be a loosing battle.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
LRB (07-06-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Re-installing missing A/C components 75 convertible

Quick Reply: Re-installing missing A/C components 75 convertible