C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I find formulas for sixties paint codes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 06:14 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Default Where can I find formulas for sixties paint codes?

I wanted to get a couple of test panels sprayed to help decide what colour to paint my 79. I went to a couple of body shops and they said all their paint formulas are on the computer and the earliest they have are from 65 or 75, (I don't remember which) and therefore they can't paint the colours I want on the test panels. They are:

62 Chrysler Imperial Silver Lilac paint code R
60 Cadillac Heather Iridescent paint code 99 (RM-BASF # A-1219)

Do any of you know where I can find the formula for these colours?

Here is a car with paint colour similar to the 60 Cadillac Heather Iridescent:

And here is the 62 Chrysler Imperial Silver Lilac:

Last edited by Priya; 07-25-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:56 PM
Makonut
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...y.cgi?manuf=GM
Old 07-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

That's just a code cross-reference, it doesn't tell how to actually mix up the colour and that's what I need.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:16 PM
mike48750
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Martin Senour web site. The paint formulas are for their products. Any NAPA store should be able to help you out. Mike
The following users liked this post:
Priya (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 08:44 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mike48750
Martin Senour web site. The paint formulas are for their products. Any NAPA store should be able to help you out. Mike
Looks promising, I'll have to check into it more. So far it appears the formulas for colours on the site are only accessible by employees. Perhaps they can mix a small quantity of the paint I want for test panels. House of Kolor used to sell a 4 ounce bottle of ready to spray paint which was enough to do two test panels. I managed to find a supplier that still had some in stock but ended up costing $80 for the paint by the time I got it here and then another $170 for a body shop to spray two test panels. Gets a little pricey when you're painting six or eight test panels.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:03 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Found a search feature on the Martin Senour site but it didn't find either paint code.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:25 AM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Hi Priya. I'm out of town and, therefore, away from my reference books, but I do know that for my '72, I have a chart that lists codes for several different paint suppliers in either my AIM, my Chassis Service Manual or my NCRS Judging Guide. I just can't remember which book it is. Perhaps someone else will see this and ring in. Alan???
Old 07-27-2016, 10:20 AM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
That's just a code cross-reference, it doesn't tell how to actually mix up the colour and that's what I need.
You should be able to find the actual mix but the problem I ran into with a few colors was the ingredients used back then to create a color are not available. Mainly due to the formulas being lacquer and the EPA has outlawed most of the ingredients in those lacquer paints.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:33 AM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Computers are wonderful tools. I had perfect results in matching original color (as verified by high level NCRS judging) by sharing the paint code info from my references and the modern paint supplier's color matching camera/computer equipment.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:48 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi P,
From the pictures you posted it appears you're considering colors with a lot of metallic in them.
Several things have changed since those colors were in use as LPE noted.
First the size and shape of the metallic flake used has changed. It's now much bigger. This has a surprising effect on the appearance of the paint.
Also, because of the type of paints used back then, lacquers and enamels, the way the metallic was suspended in the paint along with the rest of the color solids, was very different than the way the metallic is handled in modern paint systems.
Perhaps you should consider looking for contemporary colors and formulas that have the APPEARANCE of the color/look you're after, but can be easily duplicated using today's paint materials.
Maybe?
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-27-2016, 12:11 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi P,
From the pictures you posted it appears you're considering colors with a lot of metallic in them.
Several things have changed since those colors were in use as LPE noted.
First the size and shape of the metallic flake used has changed. It's now much bigger. This has a surprising effect on the appearance of the paint.
Also, because of the type of paints used back then, lacquers and enamels, the way the metallic was suspended in the paint along with the rest of the color solids, was very different than the way the metallic is handled in modern paint systems.
Perhaps you should consider looking for contemporary colors and formulas that have the APPEARANCE of the color/look you're after, but can be easily duplicated using today's paint materials.
Maybe?
Regards,
Alan
If I could find a similar modern colour I'd get a couple of test panels painted but I haven't had much luck.

I did find this similar colour but it doesn't look quite as nice on the computer:

http://www.shop.thecoatingstore.com/...?productId=274

I contacted them to see if they sell a small quantity like the 4 ounce house of Kolor bottle but they said the smallest they sell is a quart. They said they have a hand sprayed card they could send me and asked for my address but a month later and I haven't received anything even though I contacted them about it again.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redrdstr72
Computers are wonderful tools. I had perfect results in matching original color (as verified by high level NCRS judging) by sharing the paint code info from my references and the modern paint supplier's color matching camera/computer equipment.

Hope this helps.
Yes, that would be a help if I could find actual cars painted that colour but I don't know of any. I saw a blue I really liked at a car show in march, asked the owner what paint code it was/name and he didn't know. I asked my husband to get a hold of his friend who has access to the colour matching camera at his work but hubby wouldn't do it as the camera is very expensive and he was worried about it being bumped or dropped at the very crowded car show.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:57 PM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

If I could find a similar modern colour I'd get a couple of test panels painted but I haven't had much luck.

I did find this similar colour but it doesn't look quite as nice on the computer:

http://www.shop.thecoatingstore.com/...?productId=274

I contacted them to see if they sell a small quantity like the 4 ounce house of Kolor bottle but they said the smallest they sell is a quart. They said they have a hand sprayed card they could send me and asked for my address but a month later and I haven't received anything even though I contacted them about it again.
Alan 71 is correct, he knew what I was referring to and put it in greater detail. One thing you have to remember when spraying really heavy based metallic paints is the type of gun you use can make all the difference in the world. As well as the pressure it was sprayed at.

So for someone to send you a test card, you need to have more information to achieve the desired results.

Example: We were spraying a 69 WB Yellow Coupe, we spent a ton of money in samples, talked to reps from different paint companies about lacquer formulas. We had paint from multiple manufacturers and different variations. (some colors can have the same paint code and have multiple variations, light to dark).

This is a little different as we were using lacquer, but it was amazing to see the same pressure, different gun deliver different results. Also playing with the pressure resulted in a different color/side tones, etc. Long story short using a very old spray gun with slightly higher pressure gave us the close enough desired results, in and out of the sun. Non metallic colors are not near as difficult as metallic or fire mist colors of the 60's-70's. Again the materials that make up the colors of the 60's-70's are no longer being used in today's paints.

Good luck in your search and have patience.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:22 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

I tried contacting the Coating Store again through their site form and got through, it appears responding to the emails they send me doesn't get through to them. They told me they were out of stock of the hand sprayed card, I'll check back with them at some point to see when they expect to get more in and send me one.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Do yourself a BIG FAVOR....if possible in your area.

Look in your area for a PPG rep. Call that person. IF that person is a true professional...then they should have the SERIOUS color decks. I MEAN SERIOUS.

These color decks have spectrums of colors that you can sift through like being at a home improvement store looking for paint for a room in your house.

THEN...a formula can be obtained and if 'tweaking; is what you want...you can being to tint it to get it the way you want it.

My PPG paint rep...who also is the guy where I get my NEXA paint from...has one of these HUGE decks systems And these decks are ACTUAL PAINT cards...so they are the TRUE COLOR.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 08-02-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

I've looked through a lot of paint chip books and none of them have had the sorts of colours I'm looking for. I can find out who the PPG rep is and give them a try though.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I've looked through a lot of paint chip books and none of them have had the sorts of colours I'm looking for. I can find out who the PPG rep is and give them a try though.
These are not books...these are specific color decks and each deck is a specific color and the spectrum of colors within that color. The color decks I am talking about cost well over $1000.00

Hopefully you can find them.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Where can I find formulas for sixties paint codes?

Old 08-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

I see.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:05 PM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Pryia, check out House of Kolor, they have a few purples that might fit the bill.

http://www.houseofkolor.com/kolors-d...-01&ref=kolors

Last edited by LPE385; 08-03-2016 at 08:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Priya (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

That first one's got promise LPE385. I've been through the House of Kolor web site but I never noticed that one.

Quick Reply: Where can I find formulas for sixties paint codes?