Sponsored by:

Help with ID modified 1969

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 01:22 PM
runuts
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with ID modified 1969

I,m new to this site and was referred by knowledgeable corvette guy for information regarding the Los Angels area shop that did the work on my highly modified C3. Any help with who was doing this type of work in the early 70's would be appreciated. All our cars have a story and I'd like to complete this ones story.
I bought this car because it was cheap due to the modifications which I thought I would reverse.
I was able to track down the third owner who bought the car in a lien sale. According to this owner, the second owner made the modifications after purchasing the car from the original owner in about 1972. He was a young guy who had inherited about $85,000, bought the car, then took it to the unknown shop to have the modifications done. According to the third owner, the guy paid more for the modifications then he did for the car.
I've had 2 of my body shop buddies look at the work and they both said it was high quality work and everything was probably hand fabricated. All of the scoops had special metal inserts made. There are no cracks or problems with the work even now.
The car was originally a 427/390, 4 speed blue/blue. When modified it was painted red and the interior was done in black. See the door panel for the 70's ****.
I now appreciate the car for what it is and the work that went into it. I will finish putting it back together, drive it and have some fun.
Attached Images          
Old 08-01-2016, 01:29 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Interesting, Need to have 4 tails lights though.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:42 PM
goodguys282
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Beautiful Car! Kind of wish I went this route instead of the Numbers Match 69 I bought. Actually, wish I could afford both..
Old 08-01-2016, 02:12 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi r,
Welcome!
First Post!!!
Quite an interesting 69.
I think what makes it unique is what your buddy's said…. that it appears as though all the modifications may have been formed by the builder rather than buying custom parts from suppliers.
So someone put a lot of work in to customizing it.
It's fortunate that it's ended up with someone who appreciates it.
I hope you have a good time with it!
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-01-2016, 10:01 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Very cool. Though l may change out the ****!
Old 08-01-2016, 10:29 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I love the customs and 8 out of 10 times not to sound pompous I can tell a person what parts were used, but in your case besides you making my day posting a really sweet one school custom I am just betting it is all one off,

I would believe that this is the result of the owner/builder coming up with what they wanted and making it happen,

I sure hope you just do needed repairs and leave it as a stunning survivor old school custom....
Old 08-02-2016, 12:09 AM
runuts
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plan is to leave the exterior as is. I have 2 numbers matching Camaros so this being what is is fine with me.
I was hoping someone might notice some signature detail that might point to who did the work.
The 4th owner stored the car in a barn for the last 15+ years so the mice made a nice home in the interior. They got behind the dash and made a mess. I've pulled the dash and will clean everything up then install all new wiring harnesses. New carpet and door panels are also going in. My carpet cleaning buddy cleaned the velour seat inserts nicely.
Although the engine compartment looks tired when I pulled the valve covers it looked great.
When I finally was able to track down the third owner he told me the story I told when I started the thread. When I mentioned how clean it was under the valve covers he said it should be since it only has about 500 miles on it if the 4th owner never drove it which he didn't. The engine and trans are not original. He also said the trans is an M 22 that was gone through and 3.73, he thinks, that was gone through at the same time. The suspension parts are new and the complete brake system parts that came with the car is where he left off and owner #4 never installed. When I told him the stage of restore when I got it he said that where it was when he sold it except the interior was decent.
A divorce forced him to sell the car before he finished the refresh so he enjoy it again as he had for many years prior. He said he was very sad to see it go but he now has a new love a later z-06 and at his age he says it suits him much better. He said he gave the 4th owner the build sheet but #4 can't find it, not a big deal at this point being the way it is.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:10 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

It might be hard to pin down the builder, in the 70's there was almost a custom vette shop on each corner and most did great work, it was a time when people wanted personalized cars.

I am reaching a little but the flares come out from the body at a very sharp almost right angle, that is a trait of Korky L.A. shop ( look at the flares of the corvette summer car ) and John Sliva, ( flares on some of his mako body kits )
Korky liked scoops and vents like the monster scoop on the movie car or this toned down version we see on his girlfriends car,

Last edited by The13Bats; 08-02-2016 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,292 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I love the flares. I remember the **** days. Sounds like you got a great plan. Im glad your keeping the flares and the scoops. I like the rear scoops more than the front, but they should help with engine bay cooling
Old 08-02-2016, 10:19 AM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

A very nice find. That thing looks sweet!
Old 08-02-2016, 05:03 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

VERY nice! I too am digging on the flares, rear spoiler, and I especially like the little scoops at the front spoiler. If they are functional (perhaps for brake cooling?), that would be a bonus!

Old 08-02-2016, 06:39 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,292 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I didn't see those. Very nice !!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Help with ID modified 1969

Quick Reply: Help with ID modified 1969