Sponsored by:

Vacuum lines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 10:00 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Vacuum lines?

Guys I am trying to find a better way of running the vacuum lines on the back of the engine on my 73. I have to run lines for the brake booster, PCV and headlight accumulator. I have a port on the carb and one on the intake. I am always looking for a better way to do things does anyone have any pics of how they did theirs? Thanks
Old 08-13-2016, 10:28 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 694 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

I used 3/8" steel fuel line and replaced the rubber hoses at the back of the engine to clean it up. The steel lines I ran tie into the booster/canister rubber hoses just off engine. I'm running a Billet Industries hidden pvc at he back of my alum valve cover and tied the steel line into it there. It really cleaned up the back of the engine. If you are handy with a tube bender, it's easy.
The following users liked this post:
Skip Burney (08-13-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 10:35 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mako72
I used 3/8" steel fuel line and replaced the rubber hoses at the back of the engine to clean it up. The steel lines I ran tie into the booster/canister rubber hoses just off engine. I'm running a Billet Industries hidden pvc at he back of my alum valve cover and tied the steel line into it there. It really cleaned up the back of the engine. If you are handy with a tube bender, it's easy.
I think I see what you mean if you have a pic I would love to see it. Tubing bending is no problem at all.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I use all so the sizes of stainless steel brake line...depending on the system requirements.... and I can put that bubble at the end of the line so the hose has something to seal against....instead of a line that is just cut-off.

I also fabricate billet aluminum custom line holders to secure these lines when ever necessary.

I cannot post any photos of work installed because people pay me to do work for them and it has been understood in most cases that it is NOT to be out on the web. It is up to them to do that. And you finding a routing path and figuring out how YOU want it is all that matters.

DUB
Old 08-15-2016, 07:33 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 543 Posts

As Dub said, put the bubble at the end of the cut lines using a double flare tool . That is a cheapo tool that has a lot of uses, starting with messed up brake lines.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:30 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

I have a full set of internal beaders that I use on aluminum fuel lines on antique aircraft, yep some of them actually use rubber hose and clamps. But what I did was take a 3/8 inch stainless line and turned out a 1/4 stainless hose barb on the lathe and drilled into the side of the 3/8 tube and silver soldered the hose barb into it to make T fitting 3/8 on the run of the T and a 1/4 barb on the bull of the T. I cut it into the brake booster line behind the left cylinder head and no one can even see it. Those el cheapo beaders are nothing but trouble. I have a set of Roper Whitney beaders that are over 40 years old and still work like new. You just don`t try to get the full bead in one roll. I was just wondering how some of the other guys ran their lines.

Last edited by Skip Burney; 08-15-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum lines?

Quick Reply: Vacuum lines?