Sponsored by:

'73 corvette restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:29 PM
stockmkmm
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '73 corvette restoration

My fourteen year old son is begging me to rebuild my 73 convertible and he wants to help. So I thought it would be a great bonding experience even though I have absolutely no experience in doing so. Is there a good guide I can start with that would go step by step in taking apart and putting back together?
Old 09-13-2016, 07:04 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

I`d start with the "AIM"...assembly instruction manual, and the shop manual for your car. There are also several very good restoration guides available online.
This is a GREAT way to spend time, and bond with your kids!
Old 09-13-2016, 07:28 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

As oldgto said the AIM is a great place to start
but, dont compare to the kind of advice you will get right here on the
forum. If there's a problem, someone here has been there and done that.

Some guys on here know the cars better than GM.

Post up some pics and I hope you and your son have many happy hours rebuilding your car.

Last edited by John 65; 09-13-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:22 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Glad to have you along! We look forward to seeing the journey you and your son make. There are several of us on here doing something similar. Be sure and feed us lots of pix. It will be a great time! After the AIM, this site is probably the best "book" out there!
Old 09-13-2016, 11:36 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

2 things,

one,
dont miss this opportunity to do this project with your son especially because he was the one to ask. When I bought my 1938 Chevy truck (a real project) my son at the time was 15 many times said "dad we have to get going on that truck" I just never made a point of us two putting a good effort into restoring that truck and he eventually stopped asking. I ended up selling the truck. Last week he moved away gone off to college. I let that slip away and it haunts me, I feel I let him down, it would have really brought us closer.
two,
I have a 73 Im doing a body off resto now and I have never worked on a Vette before but I know I have this forum and all the help I need is right here. Just do it man.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:47 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Absolutely get involved in that project with your son. You are fortunate to have a son that is interested. I owned a restoration shop for over 25 years building many top notch street rods and classics and my son has never been interested and still isn't at the age of 48 . It's great to see some of the young generation interested in carrying on the classic car hobby . Get out there and get started before he changes his mind .
Old 09-14-2016, 10:12 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi s,
I'd recommend the following:
73 Assembly Instruction Manual
73 GM Chassis Service Manual
73 Owners Manual
A camera
Boxes and containers of various sizes
Plastic baggies of various sizes.

It's a good idea to make a plan of what this 'rebuild' is going to consist of and how extensive and detailed it's going to be.

Do you have a place to to this? Do you have at least some tools?

It's also imperative to take many, many pictures of everything you take apart. (You'll find you've forgotten just how things were when you start to reassemble.
It's also imperative to bags and label all small parts and fasteners for the same reason.

If you would take some time to post what you plan to do and how you think you're going to proceed you'll likely get some input from folks that have done this or are in the process of doing it.

A few pictures of what you're starting with might get you some suggestions too.

Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-14-2016, 10:20 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do you and your son have space in which to work? A set of automotive hand tools?
Old 09-14-2016, 01:06 PM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Hello and welcome !
I too think this is a great way to bond with your son, especially since he was the one to initiate the process. As others have said pictures are important, especially when asking for help on here. What is your 73? L48, L82 or a 454? If that's it in your avatar it looks like a roadster? I've been restoring my 73 the past couple of years, so if there is anything I can help you with don't hesitate to ask.
Nice to see another 73 being brought back to life!
Regards,
Jim

PS: Please do not remove or discard any part that you may think to be original to the car if you think it needs replaced before checking here on the forum first. These guys are amazing and overflowing with vette knowledge. Document everything along the way.

Last edited by Tooch1; 09-14-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:23 PM
stockmkmm
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys
I appreciate all your help. I do apologize for not getting back sooner. I forgot my password and it was quite difficult to get back in. I am back - for now - I did write it down this time so I should be good. It is a 73 convertible L82. I plan on taking plenty of pics and video. I am sure there will be times when you ask yourself - what in the h*** is this guy doing. Please do not hesitate to point out my stupidity and correct me. I do have the AIM. I plan on purchasing a portable life, A frame and engine stand. I was also informed that an impact wrench is essential. I have 3 1/2 car garage and two of them will be taken up with the 78 Pace car and the body of 73 - wife not to happy about that. I use the fact that my fourteen year old wants this and that seems to end that conversation real quick - lol. So I will be working in 1 1/2 car garage. If I am planning on replacing pretty much everything do I still need to bag everything?
Stockmkmm
Old 10-21-2016, 10:17 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Along with some of the other books mentioned, there are a number of books out there like this one from our own Richard Newton (rfn026) that are excellent guides for a project like you're about to undertake.

A few others that specialize on the C3 have been published by the likes of, Richard Prince, Chris Petris and Walt Thurn. All are well respected within the Corvette Hobby. They make for excellent reading and will really help you formulate a plan of attack and also establish some boundaries so that the project doesn't take on a life of its' own.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 10-21-2016, 10:27 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,727 Posts

DO IT........Please!

My son was murdered by an "Illegal Mexican".

I wish my son could have helped me with my Vette project.

Last edited by doorgunner; 10-21-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:44 PM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by stockmkmm
Hey guys
I appreciate all your help. I do apologize for not getting back sooner. I forgot my password and it was quite difficult to get back in. I am back - for now - I did write it down this time so I should be good. It is a 73 convertible L82. I plan on taking plenty of pics and video. I am sure there will be times when you ask yourself - what in the h*** is this guy doing. Please do not hesitate to point out my stupidity and correct me. I do have the AIM. I plan on purchasing a portable life, A frame and engine stand. I was also informed that an impact wrench is essential. I have 3 1/2 car garage and two of them will be taken up with the 78 Pace car and the body of 73 - wife not to happy about that. I use the fact that my fourteen year old wants this and that seems to end that conversation real quick - lol. So I will be working in 1 1/2 car garage. If I am planning on replacing pretty much everything do I still need to bag everything?
Stockmkmm
Yes, I would recommend that you keep the parts you plan on replacing, especially if they are dated original parts to the car. I would also try to either, repair or restore as many of the original parts as possible. They just don't make things the way they used to! If originality isn't your thing, there are plenty of guys who prefer buying OEM parts, so list them on here for sale.
Good luck with your project . Keeps us posted
Regards,
Jimmy
Old 10-22-2016, 01:51 AM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner

I wish my son could have helped me with my Vette project.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:43 AM
Franks73
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have done a ton of work on my 73, fun, aggravating and everything in between. Like Alan 71 stated, take photos of everything before you start. Carefully bag and tag parts and hardware. Surprising how many times you will think, oh this is simple and strait forward, time will pass before you are ready to put it back together, and then loose a ton of time sorting it out. Big mistake on my part. Before you let go of any parts, make sure you have finished the installation of the new parts. You might need a piece off the old part that fits better, or will save you money. And you will see why the new part "Made for your 73" just doesn't match up. Best wishes, and good luck to you and your son!
Old 10-22-2016, 09:10 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by stockmkmm
...I was also informed that an impact wrench is essential....
No it isn't. Very nice to have, but not life or death.
Good luck with the project.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:28 AM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Franks73
I have done a ton of work on my 73, fun, aggravating and everything in between. Like Alan 71 stated, take photos of everything before you start. Carefully bag and tag parts and hardware. Surprising how many times you will think, oh this is simple and strait forward, time will pass before you are ready to put it back together, and then loose a ton of time sorting it out. Big mistake on my part. Before you let go of any parts, make sure you have finished the installation of the new parts. You might need a piece off the old part that fits better, or will save you money. And you will see why the new part "Made for your 73" just doesn't match up. Best wishes, and good luck to you and your son!

And do not be afraid/to proud to ask what you perceive is a "dumb question". There are a lot of great 73 owners (along with everyone else) on the forum that are willing to share their experience and knowledge!

Fran

Get notified of new replies

To '73 corvette restoration

Quick Reply: '73 corvette restoration